LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Motherf**kers Be Trippin'
10,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well. My custom hood didn't turn out. :doh:

The aluminum ended up tearing. I'm gonna be riding around with a patched up hood until I can locate a steel hood to work on.

If you have a steel hood, let me know your price + shipping if outside of AZ.

Chris

·
Speed on... Hell ain't half full
24,673 Posts
I've only heard of steel hoods on the LX cars.

·
Premium Member
7,643 Posts
I've always heard all of them are aluminum.

·
LX Newbie
116 Posts
Might try some of the local bodyshops....they can probably find an aftermarket hood , and it will almost certainly be steel , not alum.

I`m a auto painter myself , so if you want, I can try to find out if one`s even available. I`ll just have one of the office guys make a few phone calls.

·
Premium Member
26,921 Posts
As far as I know, they're all aluminum hoods on the Magnum, 300 and Charger. 300 trunk lid is aluminum (which is why the SRT spoiler is that little flip on the edge) Charger trunk is steel to support larger spoiler.

What I was told and what I saw, during the plant tour last August.

·
Major Mag Nut
2,011 Posts
Now everyone go get a magnet and see if it sticks to your hood. If anyone gets it to stick post it here.

·
LX Newbie
52 Posts
I know my Charger trunk is steel for sure, that's where my XM magnetic antenna is mounted.

·
SRT8 Owner
433 Posts
I have a blue and a black Magnum hood that I will sell.. I am in VA 23320...

Email me @ doug @ Clause.net... if you are interested

·
My maggie did me proud
647 Posts
I know mines Aluminum because my uncle couldn't get a paint thickness off of my hood....and just to let everyone know at least my magnum has paint on the thinner side(apparently BMW and Mercedes have the thickest of the auto world and the american vehicles are the thinnest)

·
Premium Member
26,921 Posts
cjsCharger said:
I know my Charger trunk is steel for sure, that's where my XM magnetic antenna is mounted.
Like I said, it's steel to support the Charger's spoiler. An aluminum trunk lid would literally collapse under the downforce (yes, the spoiler is more than eye candy) so they had to make it out of steel. Which is why the 300's spoiler is so wimpy. Aluminum trunk lid.

You have to heat aluminum to bend/stretch it and reduce the chance of tearing. Since you can't visually tell how hot it is, like steel, you need to put something on the aluminum to indicate it's heat e.g. crayon, soap, or use an IR thermometer measure it's temperature. Good luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.