LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am looking to get a donor with a 6.1 to be used in my ‘69 Coronet (in 426 form). I prefer a whole donor so I can use as much as possible (harness, brakes? Seats? Etc). There is a wrecked ‘09 Challenger coming up for auction soon, body is toast but appears to be in decent shape otherwise. 100k on the clock. But I have no clue what a fair bid is, not exactly the easiest thing to look up or value, so I thought I’d ask those most familiar with these for some ballpark opinions to get an idea.
What do you guys think?

·
stay modded, my friend...
1,577 Posts
Hi all. I am looking to get a donor with a 6.1 to be used in my ‘69 Coronet (in 426 form). I prefer a whole donor so I can use as much as possible (harness, brakes? Seats? Etc). There is a wrecked ‘09 Challenger coming up for auction soon, body is toast but appears to be in decent shape otherwise. 100k on the clock. But I have no clue what a fair bid is, not exactly the easiest thing to look up or value, so I thought I’d ask those most familiar with these for some ballpark opinions to get an idea.
What do you guys think?
I was looking at buying a wreck awhile ago. A lot of unknowns, so careful not to overbid.
Do you have access to the vehicle? 100k engine and trans could have a lot of life left or could need a rebuild, depending on how it was treated.
Best to assume the worst. The auction sites generally post an “ACV” (actual cash value) which seems to be basically the blue book value of a non-wrecked car of that make/model/year/options. Look at some auctions and see what % of ACV similar cars are going for. Fortunately for you the older the car is the less % of ACV they seem to fetch, but rarities like SRT model will keep a lot more value.
Add up what engine, transmission, harness, seats and any other major components would cost you to purchase separately from wrecking yard or private parties (it will add up in a hurry).
You will certainly benefit from all kinds of little things you didn’t know you needed. Do check into costs for disposing the carcass once you are done picking. It could range from getting a few bucks for the scrap to just haul away for free, to charging you to haul away ( especially if it no longer rolls). Sorry if this raises more questions than answers, but hopefully you will be able to figure what it’s worth. Good luck on the deal and future swap!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. The unknown bits are a big reason I want a whole donor, that stuff can just a budget in a hurry otherwise. % of ACV is a good idea, should at least get a rough ballpark.

·
stay modded, my friend...
1,577 Posts
FYI there is an 07 SRT on the forum for 4k with popped motor. Gives you an idea. A running 6.1 seems to be 5k+

1 - 5 of 5 Posts