LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I spent over $100 in wirless routers, none of them have work first one linksys keep droping the singal so much for linksys, second dlink power went off and the damn thing dyed what a Fu###ng joke. I need to know a brand that will last because I can't waste anymore money I am getting way to pissed off at a simple Idea.

WHAT IS A GOOD BRAND AND UNDER $50???

PS Dlink is on my $hit list non from that company.

·
The King Nitwit!
9,974 Posts
Well I have the Linksys WRT54G wireless router and I love it so far. Been using it for about 2 months now. I got it for 39.99

·
2006 Mag SRT Owner
13,441 Posts
I prefer linksys... do you need a rounter? Perhaps just an AP? A little cheaper... how far were you from the router?

Lots of walls or floors?

Don

·
345 Go!
1,160 Posts
I've had much success installing D-Link - but their low end stuff can fail - the power supplies are not that great.

I usually replace the D-Link power supply before I use them on their 5 volt units.

Wayne

·
Geek Master Flash
752 Posts

·
LX Padiwan
200 Posts
Im using the action tec, that came with the quest bundle, its worked great. even outside and in the basement.

·
Daily Driven
378 Posts
The WRT series routers are indeed very good routers. There's a website out there that has developed their own firmware that allows you to put the thing in overdrive! I think the site is www.dd-wrt.com -- check it out if you really want to see what this series router can do!

·
Premium Member
10,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually the version off the WRT I had, I couldn't even load the newest version on it, it wouldn't allow me which is strange as crap. So I kinda of said screw it with them until there act together again.

·
Damn Fast Grandpa!!
6,346 Posts
I have had my linksys setup over a year, (with WEP security) including the repeater in the main house, and an HP 7410 wireless all in one printer. I wouldn't switch. Getting the firmware updates are crucial! Wiping out you "unused" list is just as important, if there are too many "prefered networks" in your computer it can take MINUTES to search through all of them to find your correct setup! Eliminate all you don't use and see what happens!

·
Got Diesel?
472 Posts
I also have the Linksys WRT54G and works very well with 3 notebooks using wireless, one notebook hardwired and one network printer. I had earlier version Linksys router that died. I believe lightning had something to do with the death since the cable modem box died at the same time.
You couldn't give me a Dlink.

MikeyB

·
Southern by the grace of God
819 Posts
I have run a SMC router and WAP for over three years with no problems..

·
Inspired Performance
6,332 Posts
grmreaper said:
Im using the action tec, that came with the quest bundle, its worked great. even outside and in the basement.
Me too, have had no issues, & I can still get a signal down our hill & across the street at the neighbors. Furthermore, I don't even know why I pay for internet; there are 4 UNSECURED networks I can pick up on. :mrgreen: :wink:

·
LX Padiwan
200 Posts
Magnum Maniac said:
Me too, have had no issues, & I can still get a signal down our hill & across the street at the neighbors. Furthermore, I don't even know why I pay for internet; there are 4 UNSECURED networks I can pick up on. :mrgreen: :wink:
Ditto, My wireless is secured the day I got it, but I can also get onto my neighbors wireless network as well. I should cancel my service and just use my neighbors, but my conscience would kick in.

·
Mr. White Chocolate P. Rock
1,458 Posts
I use and have sold and support lots of linksys units, they give me no problems and seem to have the most features for the $

·
Black Trans Ams for everyone!
150 Posts
One 4 port Linksys router feeding off a cable modem, connected to an 8 port Linksys router, connected to a WRT54GS. All work fine, although the 4 port router has seen a few too many lightning strikes and needs a power cycle every couple of weeks (could be the modem too... the perils of moving into a brand new neighborhood).

Anyway, the WRT54GS works super fine with everything I've thrown at it, I don't even think of plugging in my laptop anymore when I'm working from home and VPN'ing into work and connecting to a crapload of remote machines in the labs at the same time. Never ever dropped a connection so far, knock on e-wood.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.