LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hemi Panzer
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I wanted to tint my back window because of all the jerks driving behind me with high beams and even with auto dim mirror, im blind.

So I went for the fade shade to match the one i did on the windshield. The pro shops only tint the back window with one piece solid black.

So I did it myself. First roll, I tried with one sheet, no good because of curvature of glass.

second roll, cut it into about 6 pieces. not bad except the very bottom. got a few bubbles that i think a pin and some smoothing will get out.

its tough as hell to put on, anyone who has a Charger that did the back window themselves got any hints tips?

I also overlapped the center about an 8th inch, but im going to try to trim it with the knife. i left it in case i needed to pull it off.

·
LX Padiwan
3,697 Posts
I watched my tint guy and he put the tint on the outside, trimmed it and then he used a heat gun to shrink it to the curvature of the glass.
Perfect!

·
LX Oldtimer
11,692 Posts
Best bet is to let the pros do it, they can do it in one piece.

You get what you pay for.................................

Bob

·
Speed on... Hell ain't half full
24,673 Posts
he tinted the outside?! won't that fall apart the first winter?

·
Hemi Panzer
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
crhemi said:
I watched my tint guy and he put the tint on the outside, trimmed it and then he used a heat gun to shrink it to the curvature of the glass.
Perfect!
Yea i read up on that on the net. i might redo it. AGAIN using this method. Thanks

·
Hemi Panzer
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FloridaRT said:
Best bet is to let the pros do it, they can do it in one piece.

You get what you pay for.................................

Bob
I WAS going to pay, but he doesn;t put on the type of tint i want. So in this situation, I have no choice. But Im going to try the heat method. I honestly didnt do TOO bad, but it really is a bitch putting it on the back window.

·
Hemi Panzer
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
update: I peeled off the bad strips and trimmed the overlaps on the top 2 pieces to almost seamless.

I went and bought the curved glass charcoal 20% and man what an easy job!!!! It was simple as hell and a near perfect fit.

I ran out of light so only 3/4 done, so I will put the final strip on tommorrow.

·
Inspired Performance
6,332 Posts
gn300 said:
Why would they not put what you wanted?

Where you not paying?

Find another shop!
Most shops (ours included) will not apply film from an outside source. Reason? When an inferior film fails, and it will, the customer ALWAYS blames the application, not the product.

·
Premium Member
16,511 Posts
I had mine by Sound On Wheels in Huntsville Alabama which gave me a lifetime warrantee.
I watched him do it and was thanking God that I didnt attempt it.
That back glass was worth the 220.00 that they charged!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.