LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has ever run into this one.......new one for me.

I noticed on my drive into the office yesterday, that when I stopped and parked, that my trans temp was sitting around 214 degrees. I thought it to be high.....definitely higher than normal driving at speed, so this prompted me to monitor moving forward. At speed, the trans temp will hover between 165 and 175 typically, unless it is excessively hot outside. Obviously, stop and go traffic will make this rise some.

This morning, I had my SRT gauge screen open and witnessed something very strange.

In gear (D or R - didn't matter):
Font Technology Electric blue Display device Circle

Right when I put the trans in Park or Neutral - did the same thing in BOTH - went instantly to 210 degrees:
Light Font Technology Display device Multimedia

Just as soon as I put the trans back into any gear (forward or reverse) the trans temp goes instantly back to the lower value.

????? I'm stumped, other than maybe my trans temp sensor is on the fritz. Does this have anything to do with the park sensor that I hear when I shift out of Park or place my foot on the brake to shift out Park?

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
971 Posts
Fluid isn't circulating in Park or Neutral (or maybe it still does), but still would assume the probe would read the temp of the trans fluid. I'll have to check mine today to see if it acts the same.

·
Lost cause
4,390 Posts
This is the behavior we see from scan tools and apps (like Torque) when you're reading transmission temperature. If it's in park, you get engine coolant temperature. This goes all the way back to the first gen cars; I'm kind of surprised to see it continue on the SRT screens in the newer cars, though!

I would say nothing is wrong here, working as designed, just seems odd to us, ya know?

Richard

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wierd. Thanks to all for the replies. I knew I wasn't seeing things!!!

Funny thing: my daughter kept asking me why I was shifting in and out of gear while parked in the car rider line at school. LOL I was like "watch this gauge change when I shift"............deer in the headlights. Next comment: "nevermind."

·
Charger Pursuit
192 Posts
Way the gear selector conductor plate is designed. No signal from the temp probe unless its in a gear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts