LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cut off my resonators and I am now sick of the deaded highway drone. I've gone back and forth about what to do and read here about going with just mufflers all the way back. anyone doing this? If so what muffler are you using? Can I run straight pipes from the catalyters or do I need to put in an x-pipe? I like the look of the stainless muffler somewhat exposed. I am also toying with getting an entire catback system but trying to save a little money. I like the sound of stock w/out the reso but want reduced drone. Thoughts?

Thanks for the help.

·
Gone Fishing
1,272 Posts
I have just the rear resonators in. That with the headers what a soundbut after a year the resonators seem to have burned out and I'm now getting a little drone now and again.

·
Premium Member
16,511 Posts
Mungo said:
I cut off my resonators and I am now sick of the deaded highway drone. I've gone back and forth about what to do and read here about going with just mufflers all the way back. anyone doing this? If so what muffler are you using? Can I run straight pipes from the catalyters or do I need to put in an x-pipe? I like the look of the stainless muffler somewhat exposed. I am also toying with getting an entire catback system but trying to save a little money. I like the sound of stock w/out the reso but want reduced drone. Thoughts?

Thanks for the help.
You DO need to keep the Xpipe. It will keep your exhaust from sounding really loud and rackety. A fellow member here named RTJunkie has just he Resonators on his and it sound MAHVELOUS!

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the sound with just the resonators on comparable to just hte suitcase mufflers without the drone? That is what I am looking for, if not something even deeper.

·
Premium Member
16,511 Posts
he didnt have any drone and it had a nice deep burble with a sweet afternote of metallic rasp.
Not a wine snob, but an exhaust snob!

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Rev.Hammer said:
he didnt have any drone and it had a nice deep burble with a sweet afternote of metallic rasp.
Not a wine snob, but an exhaust snob!
Have you stuck your nose down in the tip? I got a heavy carbon sent and an ever so slight hint of petrol...

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
It's very hard to define "drone" one mans music is another mans drone. I cut off the resonaters and love it, do I get a drone, well any loud exhaust will at some time cause vibration which may be called drone, if it bothered me that much I would think about using dynamat of other sound deadener/insulation to reduce potential vibration in the car. I think the Magnum is prone to this because of the wagon configuration. My car is very quiet on the highway, the only time I get what might be called a drone is at very slow speeds when I am in 5th or (D) which is very rarely. I have 2.5in pipe from the point at which I removed the resonators.

·
Mr. White Chocolate P. Rock
1,458 Posts
I think the drone is worse if you have your tips to short, ie not poking past the plastic an inch or 2. The sound gets reflected up and forward by the rear plastic bumper thingy

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Magnumdude, do you know the p/n of the magnaflow mufflers you are using?

I may toy with reinstalling the stock reso's and chopping off the suitcase first and trying that as it would a quick, cheap fix. Ultimatetly I would like a 4 inch pipe.

I agree about drone being personal opinion. I think I may have brought this on myself somewhat. I went with 18x4in tips. I do have them sticking out about 1.5 inches. I think the 18 inches isnt helping (if my wife was only so lucky!). I have dynomatted the rear and that basically eliminated the floorboard vibration. I am just sick of having to turn up the radio on the highway to hush the drone. I realize I want my cake and to eat it too.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I went down to the Midas shop right around the corner from my work. I was going to have them chop the suitcase and reinstall the reso's. This is clearly the cheapest way to go right now and I can then decide on a rear muffler set up if this solves the drone. These morons were all confused! I felt bad for them. To drop the suitcase and install straight pipe and throw the reso's back in place they wanted $250 and needed the car for half the day. Said they were going to have to 'bend pipes'. Now, I've never bent pipes but have seen plenty done on previous cars/trucks and now it takes a couple of minutes. Besides, as a muffler place, isnt that what they do? Too funny. I'm hoping they were just uncomfortable with the work and just jacked up the price but I was with them the entire time and they looked plain stumped. It would have been nice to get is done while at work. I guess I'll try again tonight.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Exactly! for a damn shiny setup up back. Any luck on finding that magnaflow p/n? I still want to go that route long term.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I had the stock reso reinstalled today and dropped the suitcase. What a difference! No drone. I can even hear the tire noise on the highway. That hasnt happened in the last 5 weeks. WOT is loud and raspy. Sounds damn mean.

·
CDXXVI
557 Posts
I have the Borla Cat/Back system with the two mufflers and the two resonators. This is the second set that I installed on the Magnum because the first one had a real bad drone once you got to hiway speed and backed off. The second set was a lot better however there is still a slight drone in the same way, but I can live with it. At WOT it has a nice sound but could be a bit louder here.
The drone on the hiway seems to start at about the same time you would expect the MDS to cut back to four cylinders, has anyone else made this connection or is it just coincidence?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.