LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently upgraded to a FRi littleboy cam, 6.1 jba headers, 5.7 ported heads from BFNY with 6.1 valve springs, new non MDS lifters and a tune from Johan, CAI. For exhaust mods resonator delete and no muffler had to make it fit on the awd with 6.1header flanges so straight pipe Not sure where to focus next

My question is what should i upgrade next. Would appreciate any help you guys can give.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you mean cold air intake if so I have that already or do you mean 6.1 intake manifold? However do you mean 6.1 gear ratios? Regret not getting the 6.1 timing set and new torque converter. But the car definitely has some very noticeable pickup. Couldn't have done it without everyone here giving me help and all the great post on lxforums Definitely enjoy the drive more now but not the price of gas :sad:

·
Super Moderator
5,364 Posts
Do you mean cold air intake if so I have that already or do you mean 6.1 intake manifold? However do you mean 6.1 gear ratios? Regret not getting the 6.1 timing set and new torque converter. But the car definitely has some very noticeable pickup. Couldn't have done it without everyone here giving me help and all the great post on lxforums Definitely enjoy the drive more now but not the price of gas :sad:
They mean 6.1 intake manifold and LSD rear.

·
Registered
05 Magnum, flowmaster, K&N cold air intake, performance plugs, plug wires and ignition coils.
3 Posts
would you do TB before or with the intake? will just upgrading TB to 90 produce reasonable HP gain?

Ed

·
Registered
369 Posts
With those upgrades to the motor it's probably breathing just fine. Swapping the 5.7 intake manifold to the 392 SRV helps the bottom end and torque curve with the short runners active. A throttle body is probably the worst value possible for any performance - especially if N/A. 6.1 or aftermarket if going forced induction.

Reinforcing the drivetrain to put that new power down is where I'd focus. Transmission, driveshaft, differential, gears, half shafts... Depends on LX model and year.

The xmsn (5-speed NAG1, 8-speed ZF, 6-speed Tremec) can be strengthened and the autos can actually be tuned. Mopar offers LSD swap kits with 3.06-3.91 gear ranges (or nab'em from a part out); it's the Getrag for pre-'15 cars or the ZF for those after, but both include beefier axles in any case.

Reactions: punisher69

·
Registered
05 Magnum, flowmaster, K&N cold air intake, performance plugs, plug wires and ignition coils.
3 Posts
With those upgrades to the motor it's probably breathing just fine. Swapping the 5.7 intake manifold to the 392 SRV helps the bottom end and torque curve with the short runners active. A throttle body is probably the worst value possible for any performance - especially if N/A. 6.1 or aftermarket if going forced induction.

Reinforcing the drivetrain to put that new power down is where I'd focus. Transmission, driveshaft, differential, gears, half shafts... Depends on LX model and year.

The xmsn (5-speed NAG1, 8-speed ZF, 6-speed Tremec) can be strengthened and the autos can actually be tuned. Mopar offers LSD swap kits with 3.06-3.91 gear ranges (or nab'em from a part out); it's the Getrag for pre-'15 cars or the ZF for those after, but both include beefier axles in any case.
if swapping out the 5.7 manifold for the 392 SRV, assuming that will increase air flow so wouldn't a slightly larger TB, like 85mm be beneficial? Am actually looking at Fastman's TB website: Fastman Throttle Bodies - The Fastman He knows too much is no good but modifies them for smoother air flow and reasonably priced compared to a new one.

thanks,
ed

p.s. I'm not trying to hijack the OP's post.....

·
Registered
369 Posts
Eh, for nearly two decades now the throttle body has been a joke for a bolt-on performance mod. $500 for miniscule gains, if any, but so many still blindly recommend it since some others cars do benefit from it. Many posts about it but I always payed attention to the builders and most only upgraded when dealing with big power engines. That said, I have a ported Fastman with my 392 SRV and can't wait until I do heads, cam and tune to really benefit from it all.

Does the OP have AWD? Only assumed he had an '05 Magnum by his screen name and 5.7 from the Eagle heads. Didn't see him note what he had and why I said depending on LX model and year. But if AWD with tall gears and skinny halfshafts...ya, no options that I can recall. Sure, the backend can technically be swapped and a custom length driveshaft made, but with no options for front diff gears it's all pointless.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Eh, for nearly two decades now the throttle body has been a joke for a bolt-on performance mod. $500 for miniscule gains, if any, but so many still blindly recommend it since some others cars do benefit from it. Many posts about it but I always payed attention to the builders and most only upgraded when dealing with big power engines. That said, I have a ported Fastman with my 392 SRV and can't wait until I do heads, cam and tune to really benefit from it all.

Does the OP have AWD? Only assumed he had an '05 Magnum by his screen name and 5.7 from the Eagle heads. Didn't see him note what he had and why I said depending on LX model and year. But if AWD with tall gears and skinny halfshafts...ya, no options that I can recall. Sure, the backend can technically be swapped and a custom length driveshaft made, but with no options for front diff gears it's all pointless.
That's exactly my next 2 upgrades are, SRV 392 intake and the basic Fastman TB.

Thanks again TheFrankenberry!

Ed

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I do have an awd. Was thinking same as Franken berry about upgrading drive train. Would love to upgrade gears but with the awd not sure what to upgrade to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts