LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ka CHOW!
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 1985 Mercedes Benz 380SL convertible with 189,735 miles. The car appears to be restored as I could see masking tape between the fender and hood. There is also some sort of masking material behind the grill on the same fender. The car looks very clean but has sheep skin seat covers and some sort of bed sheet on the back seat. I think I have seen them around with a sheep dog in the back which would explain the bed sheet.

I want to get and idea of it's worth from one of you experts. I tried KBB.com but they only go back as far as 1986.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
This truly is one of the finest cars MB has made, much better handling compared to a 560 and just about as fast. However an accurate history is crucial to its value. A big red flag would be the re-paint and the high mileage, these cars are notorious for having been wrecked and screwed back together again. Personally If I was serious about buying a car like this, and I am always looking, would be to find the cleanest, most well preserved "original" low mileage version I could find otherwise you could open up a huge can of worms with nothing but expensive parts bolted onto a high mileage car that will never be worth anything in terms of resale value.

·
Ka CHOW!
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I will call the guy to see what else he has to say about the car.

This happens to be my favorite body style of MB. I have always wanted a 280SL. With the 380SL sitting there, to quote the bank robber in the beginning of "Dirty Harry", "I gots to know!"

·
Tipmaster G
7,019 Posts
1985 with 189,753 would not be considered high milage for a benz.

In 20 years 10k a year

200 miles a week not high miles!

RED FLAG WOULD BE THE REPAINT OR PARTIAL REPAINT!

Book value wouldn't be much different from 85-86

What are they asking?

·
Ka CHOW!
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is no price, just a for sale sign.

·
Premium Member
7,643 Posts
edmunds.com rates the value of this car, in average condition as $3641 from private party, or $5922 from dealer. This is in my zip code. You may want to check that site out and input your zip code for an adjusted value.

·
Ka CHOW!
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I spoke with the guy last night. He claims the fender was repainted due to some rock damage after pulling off the road when his alternator went out. What did he do, hit a cliff? The car looks real nice but it is not in restored condition. He claims it is worth 19k and is only "only" asking 17K.

So I complimented him on having a beautiful car and wished him good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.