LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
SRT8Soul
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a 2 races with 02 & 04 carreras one 2 weeks ago & one tonight which lost badly like 50+ Meters on a 800 race by my srt8. I think that even the 04 carrera 4s is not a hard competitor.

Did any one have an encounter with the 06 carreras/s ?

·
345 Go!
1,160 Posts
SRT8_Q8 -

You do realize that us Americans are sitting here thinking.... this guy... over in Quatar... He's got prolly the ONLY SRT8 on the island... and youre running around the sand dunes looking for people to race... and you 're having a tough time finding anything to race except Camels with robot jockeys on 'em.

There has got to be some EXOTIC CARS in QUATAR that you can run with... Ferraris , Lambos, AMG Mercedes... and certainly Porsche....

It's really hard to pigeon hole the SRT-8 with anything - It's sooo Heavy compared to most porches - I suppose it would 'match up' with an AMG55 type Benz, or a Bentley 2 door... although I'm not sure I'd go looking for 'em...

As far as Porche's go - avoid taking them on from a stand still - their HP/Weight ratio can be better which means you will loose the hole shot - but your torque and top end should take on most anything if you're rolling 50-80 and you pick the right gear ... you can give pretty much anything a good run.

Avoid vipers. Have fun and be safe!

How many other LX cars do you have over there? Many Magnums?

·
SoCuffMe
197 Posts
wbornio said:
SRT8_Q8 -

As far as Porche's go - avoid taking them on from a stand still - their HP/Weight ratio can be better which means you will loose the hole shot - but your torque and top end should take on most anything if you're rolling 50-80 and you pick the right gear ... you can give pretty much anything a good run.
You've got that backwards...check the torque curve for most all Porsches as it comes on strong in an upper range. A Turbo will flat disappear if you start racing him from 50mph. Of course, the driver has to have the cahones to use it and the skill to shift into the right gear at the right rpm to minimize turbo lag and hit an exact torque range entry point. You wanna go stoplight to stoplight with 'em everytime. 'Hole shots' simply are a joke for most Carreras---esp the aircooled 993s and earlier.

Check this out from a Porsche modder:
http://www.lindseyracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=LR&Category_Code=DYNO

Also...Here is an interesting but pretty geeky conversation regarding the Viper vs. Porsche Turbo possibilities:
http://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-29011.html

Enjoy!

·
LX Padiwan
352 Posts
SoCuffMe said:
You've got that backwards...check the torque curve for most all Porsches as it comes on strong in an upper range. A Turbo will flat disappear if you start racing him from 50mph. Of course, the driver has to have the cahones to use it and the skill to shift into the right gear at the right rpm to minimize turbo lag and hit an exact torque range entry point. You wanna go stoplight to stoplight with 'em everytime. 'Hole shots' simply are a joke for most Carreras---esp the aircooled 993s and earlier.

I agree :wink: to stay away from Vipers.
In addition to what you said, turbo lag is almost non-existent in the latest Carrera Turbo.

·
345 Go!
1,160 Posts
SoCuffMe said:

I agree :wink: to stay away from Vipers.
I'll defer to your experience ... I've never had the pleasure of driving the SRT - In my standard RT.... I haven't really pefected my hole shot... I'm always more comfortable downshifting from a rolling start... I feel more comfortable doing that... I'm going to have to work on my hole shot. Thanks.

·
SoCuffMe
197 Posts
330toSRT8 said:
In addition to what you said, turbo lag is almost non-existent in the latest Carrera Turbo.
Yeah, the very newest Turbos are absolutely unreal and have a broader torque range to boot. Haven't driven one but they're impressing some folks:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=109294

Base $122,000.00. Not for everyone...:wink:

·
SoCuffMe
197 Posts
wbornio said:
I'll defer to your experience ... I've never had the pleasure of driving the SRT - In my standard RT.... I haven't really pefected my hole shot... I'm always more comfortable downshifting from a rolling start... I feel more comfortable doing that... I'm going to have to work on my hole shot. Thanks.
Go for it! Most Porsche owners have no idea how to really drive balls out. Might also have something to do with their insurance too...:wink:

·
T.G.I.F.
24,289 Posts
I'm not sure you can beat anything but a Boxster on a curvy road. While Porsches have the meat and potatoes under the hood if you have to turn the steering wheel, by and large they are going to disappear in front of you.

With that said I have beaten the tar out of Boxsters on windy mountain roads (posted 30-40mph), but I have modded the snot out of my car. An SRT would need to be lowered I think. KW's. And sway bars would be a must. Wanting to try a Boxster S but I doubt I'd stand a chance with that engine they got in there.

EDIT: 330toSRT8 would know exactly where my last hookup with a Boxster was, although it was just a little blip. Hwy 68 going from the gate stoplight on the PG side to the stoplight at CHOMP where I had to turn in. Boxster got in behind a 911 past the safeway and was trying to get him to race by crowding him. 911 owner wanted no part of it and got into the right lane at the light. Boxster punched it and thats when he heard the Zoomers roaring behind him. No traffic in front of us and I was glued to his bumper no matter what he did. Took the first curve at 70 and the banked double esses at about 65. God I love those when there's no traffic, which there wasn't.

·
SRT8Soul
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wbornio_

First I`m not from qatar I`m from kuwait.

second we have a lot of exotic cars, you can see the new porsche a lot but you can`t race one because of the traffic the only time you can race is 12+ Am but didn`t see the new porsche at these times & we have a lot highways & roads even in city streets so it`s easy to race.

Third we have about 50+ 300c srt8 here in kuwait only 2006 models we don`t have the charger,GC srt8 we have the hemis only ,about the magnum there is no magnums here in kuwait only one from USA.

by the way I did race 2 amg`s CLS & C32 and lost by 2-3 cars.

·
345 Go!
1,160 Posts
SRT8_Q8 said:
Wbornio_

First I`m not from qatar I`m from kuwait.

second we have a lot of exotic cars, you can see the new porsche a lot but you can`t race one because of the traffic the only time you can race is 12+ Am but didn`t see the new porsche at these times & we have a lot highways & roads even in city streets so it`s easy to race.

Third we have about 50+ 300c srt8 here in kuwait only 2006 models we don`t have the charger,GC srt8 we have the hemis only ,about the magnum there is no magnums here in kuwait only one from USA.

by the way I did race 2 amg`s CLS & C32 and lost by 2-3 cars.
OK - No offense intended! There was another forum member from Quatar and he had a Q in his forum name... my mistake... and apologies. Best of luck racing whatever comes across your path!

·
SRT8Soul
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Porsche 2006 0-60 time slips from porsche.com

(0-60) ********* MT AT
Boxter S ******* 5.4 6.1 Out
Cayman S ****** 5.4 6.1 Out
Carrera ********5.0 5.5 In (MT)
Carrera 4 *******5.1 5.6 In (MT)
Carrera S *******4.8 5.3 In (MT,AT)
Carerra 4S ******4.8 5.3 In (MT,AT)
Cayenne turbo S **No 5.2 In (AT)

·
LX Padiwan
284 Posts
SRT8_Q8 said:
Porsche 2006 0-60 time slips from porsche.com

(0-60) ********* MT AT
Boxter S ******* 5.4 6.1 Out
Cayman S ****** 5.4 6.1 Out
Carrera ********5.0 5.5 In (MT)
Carrera 4 *******5.1 5.6 In (MT)
Carrera S *******4.8 5.3 In (MT,AT)
Carerra 4S ******4.8 5.3 In (MT,AT)
Cayenne turbo S **No 5.2 In (AT)
Hi SRT8_Q8!! :)

So IF Car and Driver is to be believed - then our 300C SRT8 [at 4.7 seconds to 60] is quicker than every Porsche on that list.

That's good to know!!

Craig!! :)

·
SRT8Soul
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I thought about buying a cayman S but the price you won`t believe was too high here in kuwait it was like $72000 while my 300c SRT8 cost me $52300 with the extended warranty as from the list lets pick up the carrera S It`s about $100000 thats = to 2 srt8s lets say a GC srt8 next to my 300c in my garage & I may smoke the carrera with both of them :p

But it`s still a porsche :p

·
LX Newbie
182 Posts
I thought that you don't ship to KUWAIT, I did try ordering before and it didn't work out.
btw, We do have 3 GCSRT8's in KUWAIT and I have been in all of them:rock:
Ghostface Mag said:
Hey SRT8_Q8 are you still stock right now...GOT MODS..? If no Mods click that website in my sig.,that will help you out alot in SOME of your races...

·
SRT8Soul
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
3 Jeep srt8s !! Didn`t see one, what colors ??

Meherm : What did you try to order and what was your shipment ?

I did order parts from the internet but not big & heavy stuff through Aramex.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Also, when you guys look at those numbers, remember that Porsche reports lower 0-60 and HP/TQ numbers and those numbers are before car breaks in (which is 2000 miles). Once any of those cars get past 10000 miles, the numbers improve. For example, many guys can run their Cayman S in 5s flat 0-60 after 5K miles or so.

Cayenne Turbo S is competition in performance with SRT, since most of our cars are in the same weight class.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey all, I've been lurking a while figured I'd make this my first post. I'm in the market for a Maggie srt because it's nothing like my Porsche. Speed/handling wise my GT650 is tough to beat, but it will never have the low end torque/balls-out sound of a V8. Off the line (unless I brake stand it) v8 will lead, but once I get to 3000rpm's it's another story. Can't wait to get one of these bad boys!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.