LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
the Matador is coming
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, its seems that everytime it rains, I loose fuse #19 which controls my brake lights. I have had my mag at the stearlership 3 times to fix and all they say is that they replaced the fuse and have no idea what is tripping it. I asked once, and ya'll said that moisture in the tail lamps lead to this problem. Now my problem, since I do carry my kids in my car and I don't really wish to be in an accident, what the heck can I do to get DC to fix this?

Thanks for the help, familywgn

·
Absent From Malaise
4,553 Posts
Try going to a different dealer. Sometimes its just a matter of finding someone that has a clue.

·
What'd I miss?
23,444 Posts
any aftermarket accessories that may be tapped into the stoplamp circuit such as remote start, electric trailer brake controller, etc.?

fuse 19 (10 amp) in PDC (power distribution center/trunk mounted fuse box) protects A103 circuit. A103 circuit feeds stoplamp switch which in turn feeds B29 circuit. B29 circuit splits at S309 splice which is located above the right kick panel. from there, B29 circuit feeds FCM (front control module), trailer brake connector (if equipped), ESM (electronic shifter module) for BTSI (brake transmission shift interlock) operation and the stoplamp inhibit relay (prevents stoplamp operation during ESP event) in PDC. the stoplamp inhibit relay then feeds all stoplamp bulbs through L53 circuit.

the last paragraph was notmeant to confuse, just to demonstrate how complex and spread out through out the vehicle this circuit reaches. a short to ground at any point in this circuit can cause fuse 19 to blow. unless it is a dead short (always there), it could be quite difficult to trace. that's why i always start by disconnecting anything that may be tapped into the circuit to see if the problem goes away.

good luck and please let us know what they find.

·
the Matador is coming
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I stopped at the dealer yesterday finally spoke to a serivce rep with a clue. Bad attitude, but a clue. He stated that he knew nothing about the moisture problem, but was will to bet that's the problem. He said to bring the car in, he'll have the tech hose it down and wait for the fuse to fail. Looks like another day without a ride.

But then again, can I cover the seal of the lights/sockets with some silicone and try a home-made mod? If so, how hard is it to get into the tail lamps?

Thanks

·
Absent From Malaise
4,553 Posts
fnkychkn said:
this thread show how to remove right tail lamp assembly. complete with pictures. left side should be similar.
Taillights are easy to remove eh Pete? :wink:

·
Cunning Stunt
552 Posts
I always solve moisture in tail lamps by drilling a small 1/8" hole in the bottom of the lamp assembly. I have tried over and over to re-seal a lamp assembly with no luck. The 1/8" hole in the bottom always works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.