LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Speed on... Hell ain't half full
24,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's right... if you have a cracked magnum headlight, give me a holler. Basically I'm looking to pick one up off a wrecked car for the cost of shipping. Why? Because sometime (after I get my wheels in about a month) I'd like to pick up a set of projectors the actual lens assembly) and try to retrofit them into a magnum housing. Mostly just for my own personal knowledge to see if it can be done, what the best way to do it would be, and how it works. Since nobody else has gotten on this bandwagon, maybe I can figure out how to make myself a custom set, or best case, quit my day job and sell hundreds of sets to you guys :) So yeah, want to get a busted light off of your garage floor, I'll pay you to mail it to me.

·
24,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome! Yeah Matt, I figured somebody has to do it and the people with the resources are swamped with oodles of other projects, so why not give it a shot? THe projectors are $200... kinda steep, but if I figure out how to mount them maybe the LX fairy will bring me some good karma... or something.

·
24,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the projectors themselves are universal fit... getting them is easy. Finding a sturdy method of attaching them to the housing, on the other hand... I lack the resources to mould another housing, which sucks, because if you had the tooling it couldn't take more than a couple hours to mock something up and make a mould. Should I maintain the ambition to see a project through for a change, I anticipate they'll be pretty sweet.

·
Wish I were in Wonderland
510 Posts
Just to show how clueless I am....what exactly is a projector headlight and why is it so much better than HID?

·
24,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The super-short version of the story: HID bulbs emit light in a different pattern than halogen filament bulbs because they rely on glowing gas, not a glowing wire. In order for the light from the HID bulb to be effectively aimed at the road, the headlight housings are designed with projectors in them... they work just like a lens on a home video projector. Halogen bulbs are usually designed into reflector housings... big ol' shiny dishes with a bunch of fancy facets in them. This works best for their light pattern. So, in order to properly convert to HID, you need the projector... literally just a tube with some lenses in it. The problem is you have to affix this tube into the headlight housing (assuming you're trying to do what I am - if you buy it that way, then obviously not).

EDIT:: Aw damn, I rolled right by 1,000 without making sure it was a good post :p

·
24,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
any word factoryd?

·
24,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! Bummer on the light... maybe another one will float up to the surface. I'm also willing to pioneer the instrument cluster color if someone has one of those laying around...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.