LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks - I have researched some things online and even tried to come up with my own ideas here.

For the first time in like 20 years, I am unable to put the front of my car/truck up on ramps to change the oil because the damn thing sits too low in the front for my "standard" vehicle ramps. My SRT8 front fascia hits the ramp before the tires get to it.

I see longer, tapered ramps out there but none of them seem to be able to raise up the car high enough as the "standard" ramps do. I also see some products that "extend" normal ramps out, but they are more money than the actual ramps themselves.

I really don't want to have to use two (2) floor jacks if I don't have to. Ramps are so much safer.

Hence, conundrum. LOL

What are all you folks out there that change your own oil using for ramps?

1. Please don't tell me to get a 2 or 4 post lift, because I can't - nowhere to put it and wouldn't spend that much anyway.
2. Please don't tell me to just pay for oil changes by someone else because I have changed my own oil for the past 35 years on my vehicles.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about Quick lifts?
If I'm gonna spend that much I'll get a 2 or 4 post lift. Way too expensive. I'm a cheapskate....trying to save all the money to perform my own oil changes and maintenance.

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2nd this, I used this same method with my floor jack that wasn't quite low enough.
Ok - thanks for the responses everyone. I like to "use what I have in my garage" most times too......was just wondering if anyone out there had found our come up with any good ideas. I'm shocked that there are so FEW options out there for vehicle ramps these days. I guess everyone just ponies up the $$$ and buys uber-expensive stuff. :)

I have heavy duty plastic ramps, so I'll probably drill some holes so that I can fasten down the 2x's and then remove them when storing in between uses.

·
Lost cause
4,390 Posts
Ok - thanks for the responses everyone. I like to "use what I have in my garage" most times too......was just wondering if anyone out there had found our come up with any good ideas. I'm shocked that there are so FEW options out there for vehicle ramps these days. I guess everyone just ponies up the $$$ and buys uber-expensive stuff. :)

I have heavy duty plastic ramps, so I'll probably drill some holes so that I can fasten down the 2x's and then remove them when storing in between uses.
You could slightly notch the 2x6's to hold the plastic ramps in place. I have trouble with them wanting to slide across the floor while I'm going up; guess the garage concrete is a little too smooth. It's an idea I've been meaning to get around to once I'm at the big orange store and remember to get the wood. My 300's front lip rubs a little on the ramps going up.

Richard

·
Not the Momma
3,220 Posts
Reactions: diboblo and MtnRT

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DID YOU CHECK RACE RAMPS?
I did, thanks. Too pricey for me, and I think they know that since they are basically the only long tapered ramp for lower cars out there. Ultimately, I'll have a set of those, but for now, I must make something else work.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
I do all my own work so I'm over stocked for the up in the air stuff.
I have a 2013 R/T stock suspension and I drive up on these puppys. I have never used the jacks. its a 9" lift with them collapsed..
Table Furniture Rectangle Font Outdoor furniture

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Hood

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Road surface Asphalt Gas Cylinder Tar

Here are a set of stands normally used on trucks I made in 1984.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
350 Posts
My cars, I use the 2x6 method, stagger 2 or 3 screw them together if it makes you feel better.
IMO much safer than climbing ramps, car does not need to be that high if you're only changing the oil!
You could argue that a more level engine drains differently, If you subscribe to this then drive all 4 up on the blocks!
In fact I have to drive front tires up on one thickness just to get my floor jack under car to put it up on jack stands.
If you're only changing engine oil stick to 2 or 3 staggered 2x6, or 2x8s.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Drive all 4 up on the blocks!
I would like to be on the sidelines with popcorn to see how far the drive wheels spit the blocks out. As soon as the front wheels meet the resistance of the blocks the rear blocks are going to launch.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I would like to be on the sidelines with popcorn to see how far the drive wheels spit the blocks out. As soon as the front wheels meet the resistance of the blocks the rear blocks are going to launch.
With all four blocks on fairly coarse concrete, and an automatic transmission it has never been a problem!
Your results may vary😀

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like all the comments and banter :) I'll figure out what I'm gonna do here, so thanks to all for the responses. I have sealed concrete garage floor, so I'll have to account for that. As I see it I have only a few choices, and the only one that doesn't cost a lot more than I want to spend is doing it with wood and stepping up into my current ramps.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
I like my wooden ramps. Quick inspections, oil change, and pre-lifts for when I want to use my cross beam.
I have rubber pads on them but getting the rear wheels on them takes a little momentum and coasting up onto the 1st level, then its OK. Fronts don't push. But during the learning curve I spit one out the back about 15feet.

You can see I have gym mats under my steel ramps.

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I'm going to copy this approach

Plant Road surface Wood Building Asphalt

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Worked ok, it did the job. Thanks to all for the input!

Reactions: BADSCAT
1 - 18 of 18 Posts