LX Forums Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2006 300 SRT8
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
They just put a new 6.4 in my 15’ Jeep srt at 72000 miles and guess what happened 6000 miles later. Yup it’s dead in the driveway until dec18 because there’s a line at the dealership of cars and trucks that need cams and lifters. Unbelievable! There getting worse. Now to the guy that thinks there’s no problem, it’s real. These engines suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nah, your just imagining that. Just like me!

Reactions: Renfrick1

·
Registered
2006 300 SRT8
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
What did the machine shop do to correct th spun cam bearing? That could be the repeat concern. I have never heard of a cam bearing spinning.
Actually they didn’t have to do anything to it. It measured right where it was supposed to be. Pure luck! And yes a spun cam bearing is not that common on these but according to the machine shop they’ve seen them here and there.

·
Registered
2006 300 SRT8
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The first time the cam/lifters fail, there could be metal particles left in the engine to cause the next failure?
Yea I thought about that before I completed the job and proceeded to flush the engine 3 times with NAPA Gold filters, which supposedly have the highest filtration available, and fresh oil each time. So that kinda eliminated that idea. I’m still thinking it has more to with lack of oil flow as well as the one lifter bore, which is where all 3 failures happened, being smaller than the other lifter bores.

·
Lost cause
4,408 Posts
The engineers state 5w20 for all conditions. Arguably that's what causes your failure. Seems pretty straightforward to me, especially with the non-oem failure.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
As OP clarified with his picture of the owner's manual page.. 0w40 is the recommended grade of oil for a 6.1. We are in the SRT8 section of the forum, after all. :) Not intending to dog-pile here but your comment just caught me off guard because I've never used 5w20 in my SRT8 and was a little confused as to why you were mentioning it.

Richard

·
Get vaccinated!
16,301 Posts

·
Registered
2006 300 SRT8
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
As OP clarified with his picture of the owner's manual page.. 0w40 is the recommended grade of oil for a 6.1. We are in the SRT8 section of the forum, after all. :) Not intending to dog-pile here but your comment just caught me off guard because I've never used 5w20 in my SRT8 and was a little confused as to why you were mentioning it.

Richard
I think he’s getting all the other MOPAR engines & diesels of course, excluding the SRT’s, use 5w-20.

·
Registered
212 Posts
So mid 2020 I had my 3rd set of lifters fail, cratered the camshaft ....
View attachment 91435
Just add another 6.1 to the list lol .. Mine bit the dust at 150k and really could not complain. Gave me plenty of hard ran miles and big smiles. Stuck lifter took out the cam and ended up doing a complete top end rebuild, oem parts. My cam looked similar to yours ( see pic) so nothing new there. Anywho , just throwing this in here as general information for all eyes to read. Be it design flaw, user error, or lack of maintenance, I have no fcking clue. She help up to 150k on oem units(0w40 oil whole time) and nearing 195k as we speak. Could not ask for much else honestly

Attachments

·
2005rtmag
2,586 Posts
Yeah, it's amazing really how expectations have changed over the years about engine longevity. I started driving the family 55 chevy in 1958. Those old 6 cylinder chevy engines typically started burning oil at around 60,000 miles. 100,000 miles was considered a major milestone for any car to reach back then. Now, we consider it a crappy design if it doesn't last at least 150,000 or 200,000.

·
Registered
2006 300 SRT8
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Just add another 6.1 to the list lol .. Mine bit the dust at 150k and really could not complain. Gave me plenty of hard ran miles and big smiles. Stuck lifter took out the cam and ended up doing a complete top end rebuild, oem parts. My cam looked similar to yours ( see pic) so nothing new there. Anywho , just throwing this in here as general information for all eyes to read. Be it design flaw, user error, or lack of maintenance, I have no fcking clue. She help up to 150k on oem units(0w40 oil whole time) and nearing 195k as we speak. Could not ask for much else honestly
Yea that was wearing for some time, to say the least!

Reactions: lmllopez
21 - 33 of 33 Posts