LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2006 309C SRT8
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So mid 2020 I had my 3rd set of lifters fail, cratered the camshaft and spun a cam bearing. At that point I decided to go with a full rebuild, removed the engine, tore it down to a bear block and had our machine shop go through is. Crank had a crack about 1/2 way around the #3 main journal, not really sure how that happened, so I found a good used one and had it machined (.030 over). New bearing, rings, stick oil pump, Crower camshaft & lifters, push rods, ported & polished the head & intake myself, beehive springs, etc etc etc. Anyway, got all together and it ran like a beast! Then at around 4K miles I started noticing a strange noise that sounded suspiciously like a very light rod knock. I brought up the EVIC for oil pressure and it was dropping to 3-4 psi at warm idle. So I’ve had it parked since and now that it’s “cooling off” here I’m getting ready to pull it and see WTF is going on. I can’t believe I’m having to do this again!!! I swear I’m a glutton for punishment!

Automotive engine gasket Audio equipment Gas Machine Metal
Bag Sleeve Luggage and bags Material property Audio equipment

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Automotive exterior

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Hood Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Vehicle

Bullet Office equipment Household hardware Gun accessory Cylinder

Automotive tire Rim Bicycle part Machine Cylinder

• Sad
Reactions: Curious Joe

·
Registered
2007 Dodge Magnum Police Package
57 Posts
I am sorry to hear about the repeated trouble you are having. Your saga is the main issue I worry about with our motors. I am curious what brand lifters and oil pump were you using. Have you been using the same parts all along?

·
Registered
2006 309C SRT8
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I am sorry to hear about the repeated trouble you are having. Your saga is the main issue I worry about with our motors. I am curious what brand lifters and oil pump were you using. Have you been using the same parts all along?
The first replacement set were MOPAR and failed after 18k miles. Second replacement set were aftermarket and failed after 47k miles. The set I have in now came from Crower along with the cam. Oil pump is a stock replacement but I think I’m gonna go to the Melling high volume pump. It adds 20% more oil flow over stock and we all know these engines can use all the oil they can get!

Font Parallel Number Paper product Document

·
Registered
2020 300s 5.7 Alloy Edition
84 Posts
Mopar has consistently stated that excessive roller lifter - cam lobe wear/failure are the result of incorrect oil, service intervals, excessive idling, or a combination thereof. Thankfully, most high mileage 5.7L teardowns are found to have immaculate drivetrains. Unfortunately, enough people have had valve train failures that this is a legitimate cause of concern.

·
Registered
2006 309C SRT8
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Mopar has consistently stated that excessive roller lifter - cam lobe wear/failure are the result of incorrect oil, service intervals, excessive idling, or a combination thereof. Thankfully, most high mileage 5.7L teardowns are found to have immaculate drivetrains. Unfortunately, enough people have had valve train failures that this is a legitimate cause of concern.
Yea I’m calling bull**** on the incorrect oil or service intervals as mine never went beyond 5k between oil changes and always used 0w-40. Not to mention, as a Chrysler service advisor of 10+ years and overall 30 years, I saw hundreds of these things fail with less then 50k miles for which we had done all the oil changes. Chrysler has a design issue with the engine that they refuse to acknowledge.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yea I’m calling bull**** on the incorrect oil or service intervals as mine never went beyond 5k between oil changes and always used 0w-40. Not to mention, as a Chrysler service advisor, I saw hundreds of these things fail with less then 50k miles.
Dang! So, as a 'Chrysler Service Advisor', cars/trucks with the Gen III Hemi are littering your dealer lot, every dealer lot in America, highways all over the world, grandma's garage, etc. I'm abandoning my 300S at the dealer today! No Gen III Hemi Apocalypse for me!o_O

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Sky

·
Registered
2006 309C SRT8
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dang! So, as a 'Chrysler Service Advisor', cars/trucks with the Gen III Hemi are littering your dealer lot, every dealer lot in America, highways all over the world, grandma's garage, etc. I'm abandoning my 300S at the dealer today! No Gen III Hemi Apocalypse for me!o_O

View attachment 91449
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive design

here’s the worstone I saw 2019 1500 with 21k miles. In the space of about 18 months I was able to collect 2.5 Home Depot buckets of failed lifters just from the vehicle I wrote up. When I showed my Chrysler rep he shrugged his shoulders and said, “yea there’s a problem but all engine have issues.” Pathetic.

• Wow

·
Registered
2006 309C SRT8
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

View attachment 91449
Here’s the damage to the lower end caused by all the bits flying around inside….
Font Auto part Metal Motor vehicle Circle

Beauty huh?

Attachments

• Wow

·
Registered
84 Posts
View attachment 91450
here’s the worstone I saw 2019 1500 with 21k miles. In the space of about 18 months I was able to collect 2.5 Home Depot buckets of failed lifters just from the vehicle I wrote up. When I showed my Chrysler rep he shrugged his shoulders and said, “yea there’s a problem but all engine have issues.” Pathetic.
And this is just one Mopar dealer! Multiply this by every Mopar dealer in the world! My goodness! Flatbed wreckers are on the way over to my home now to haul away all of my Mopars!

As a Stellantis Attorney, I will recommend at today's board meeting that we immediately abandon FCA and demand our money back! I was totally unaware the dealers, highways and byways of the world were clogged up with broken Gen III Hemi cars! The media hid it from us too - a conspiracy of mega proportions....:eek:

·
Registered
2006 309C SRT8
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And this is just one Mopar dealer! Multiply this by every Mopar dealer in the world! My goodness! Flatbed wreckers are on the way over to my home now to haul away all of my Mopars!

As a Stellantis Attorney, I will recommend at today's board meeting that we immediately abandon FCA and demand our money back! I was totally unaware the dealers, highways and byways of the world were clogged up with broken Gen III Hemi cars! The media hid it from us too - a conspiracy of mega proportions....:eek:
Well I’m not sure it reaches to that level but it’s a pretty big issue. That’s not including the other advisors at the dealer I worked at or the other advisors I know at other dealers throughout the country. At this point it’s beyond anecdotal in my opinion. But hey I still own one. 😂

·
Registered
2006 309C SRT8
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here’s another beauty but it was caused by the owner tinkering around and not knowing what he was doing!

Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Track Rolling

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Gas

Charcoal Wood Gas Auto part Metal

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ex Mopar dealer mechanic states the cam/lifter failure rates in the Gen III are less than 5%. Good vid and interesting reader comments. I'm reading there is a current class action lawsuit against FCA for these issues.

That being stated, my dealer provided me with a limited lifetime powertrain warranty (non Mopar) at no cost. I also plan on buying an 8 year Mopar MaxCare plan as we get closer to the end of our 3/36 period. Shop around and you won't pay anywhere near the full asking price.

·
Registered
2006 309C SRT8
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ex Mopar dealer mechanic states the cam/lifter failure rates in the Gen III are less than 5%. Good vid and interesting reader comments. I'm reading there is a current class action lawsuit against FCA for these issues.

That being stated, my dealer provided me with a limited lifetime powertrain warranty (non Mopar) at no cost. I also plan on buying an 8 year Mopar MaxCare plan as we get closer to the end of our 3/36 period. Shop around and you won't pay anywhere near the full asking price.

Yea I remember seeing that and pretty much agree with that video but also with low volume of oil flow too. As far as the % that seems pretty low but again I’m only going off my own experience and maybe 10 other service advisors/managers I speak with on a regular basis. I mean Chrysler did an “extension of warranty” on the 3.6l for a minuscule number of cyl head issues. I guarantee there are more lifter issues in the Hemi’s than cyl head issues in the 3.6l!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yea I’m calling bull**** on the incorrect oil or service intervals as mine never went beyond 5k between oil changes and always used 0w-40. Not to mention, as a Chrysler service advisor of 10+ years and overall 30 years, I saw hundreds of these things fail with less then 50k miles for which we had done all the oil changes. Chrysler has a design issue with the engine that they refuse to acknowledge.
But isn't the recommended oil from Chrysler 5w20? It could be argued that you used the wrong oil every few months it seems someone on here is whining about Chrysler needs to cover this. Every time it fades away with nothing happening. It's not going to be recalled, it's not going to get a warranty added on to it. Especially since you had the failure with non-oem parts. Either fix it or sell it and move on.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 309C SRT8
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
But isn't the recommended oil from Chrysler 5w20? It could be argued that you used the wrong oil every few months it seems someone on here is whining about Chrysler needs to cover this. Every time it fades away with nothing happening. It's not going to be recalled, it's not going to get a warranty added on to it. Especially since you had the failure with non-oem parts. Either fix it or sell it and move on.

As far as the oil recommendations go it depends on your operating climate and being that my 300 has lived it’s entire in Houston, WHERE ITS ALWAYS HOTTER THAN HELL, I went with the 0w-40.

As far as Chrysler fixing the issue still present in their most recent offerings I believe they should offer an extension of warranty for this particular issue. The failures seemed to slow with the updated lifters but didn’t stop all together.

For me, I’ve already fixed and/or will be fixing the issues on mine. The lifter bore that always had the failure was slightly undersized, according to the engine shop, which they honed to match all the others as well as adding the most robust Crower lifters. Also, as I stated before, I’m going to a high volume Melling oil pump which will hopefully alleviate any future issues. Keeping my fingers crossed!

·
Registered
591 Posts
As far as the oil recommendations go it depends on your operating climate and being that my 300 has lived it’s entire in Houston, WHERE ITS ALWAYS HOTTER THAN HELL, I went with the 0w-40.

As far as Chrysler fixing the issue still present in their most recent offerings I believe they should offer an extension of warranty for this particular issue. The failures seemed to slow with the updated lifters but didn’t stop all together.

For me, I’ve already fixed and/or will be fixing the issues on mine. The lifter bore that always had the failure was slightly undersized, according to the engine shop, which they honed to match all the others as well as adding the most robust Crower lifters. Also, as I stated before, I’m going to a high volume Melling oil pump which will hopefully alleviate any future issues. Keeping my fingers crossed!
The engineers state 5w20 for all conditions. Arguably that's what causes your failure. Seems pretty straightforward to me, especially with the non-oem failure.

·
Registered
2006 309C SRT8
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The engineers state 5w20 for all conditions. Arguably that's what causes your failure. Seems pretty straightforward to me, especially with the non-oem failure.

Highly doubtful that using 0w-40 was the reason for the failure as the original lifters lasted almost 90k miles and the aftermarket lifters outlived the MOPAR replacements by almost 3 times. More like poor oil flow due to low volume and an extremely tight lifter bore on the one that failed 3 times. The 0w-40 offers better flow at start up than 5w-20 and
being that the lifters are the last thing to get oil in the system, these engines can use all flow/help they can get.

Not to mention…….
Font Rectangle Material property Parallel Circle

right out of the owners manual.

Attachments

·
Charger Pursuit
204 Posts
Hmm. Did cam Lifters myself, use 5w-30 oil 4-5K servicing. Replaced with OEM Mopar Lifters. 60-70K miles later My oil reports come back cleaner and cleaner even with 6K mile road trips on the oil.

·
Registered
2006 309C SRT8
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmm. Did cam Lifters myself, use 5w-30 oil 4-5K servicing. Replaced with OEM Mopar Lifters. 60-70K miles later My oil reports come back cleaner and cleaner even with 6K mile road trips on the oil.
Yea, as you could see from the pics, I’ve done mine too but as far as tile oil viscosity I’ll stick with the 0w-40. I just want to get as much oil on those lifters and with the new oil pump going it that should do the trick with 20% more volume.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
They just put a new 6.4 in my 15’ Jeep srt at 72000 miles and guess what happened 6000 miles later. Yup it’s dead in the driveway until dec18 because there’s a line at the dealership of cars and trucks that need cams and lifters. Unbelievable! There getting worse. Now to the guy that thinks there’s no problem, it’s real. These engines suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts