LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we are on our 1st day of vacation 310 miles away from home and so far this has happened 4 times. Go to start Magnum and nothing happens except everything on the dash comes on like normal, but car doesn't turn over?! Play with stick, move it a bit while it's in park and then retry to start the car and bingo, it starts! Happened a few more times and tried the same thing except for this last time I didn't do anything except turn the key a few times. It started then. Doesn't always happen though. Tomorrow I'll see if it happens again... Oh and a rock hit my windshield and now I got a 3 inch crack that is growing in the bottom right corner... Hope nothing else happens.

·
What'd I miss?
23,444 Posts
many things can prevent the starter from operating. if you can't get it to start using the methods you've tried already, try turning key on, removing the starter relay (third from left front) from IPM (integrated power module/underhood fuse box), bypass the relay by connecting a jumper from pin 30 to pin 87. that should get the starter to crank. this may get you going untill you get to a dealer.

good luck

·
LX Oldtimer
11,692 Posts
Might be the trans interlock, try shifting car into nuetral and starting it.

Good luck,

Bob

·
Absent From Malaise
4,553 Posts
Mine was doing this for a while and it ended up being because my set of keys I had attached to the ignition key were to heavy. I removed the ignition key from the ring and use it by its self. Works without any problems now.

·
Mr. White Chocolate P. Rock
1,458 Posts
MooNDoGGie said:
Mine was doing this for a while and it ended up being because my set of keys I had attached to the ignition key were to heavy. I removed the ignition key from the ring and use it by its self. Works without any problems now.
You must have strong pockets...

·
Damn Fast Grandpa!!
6,346 Posts
TNT Magnum said:
Here we are on our 1st day of vacation 310 miles away from home and so far this has happened 4 times. Go to start Magnum and nothing happens except everything on the dash comes on like normal, but car doesn't turn over?! Play with stick, move it a bit while it's in park and then retry to start the car and bingo, it starts! Happened a few more times and tried the same thing except for this last time I didn't do anything except turn the key a few times. It started then. Doesn't always happen though. Tomorrow I'll see if it happens again... Oh and a rock hit my windshield and now I got a 3 inch crack that is growing in the bottom right corner... Hope nothing else happens.
A bit of windsheild info. They like to replace the stocker with a tinted top version. If you sit TALL in the seat it is one of the most annoying things! Choose before you call.

Jim

·
Absent From Malaise
4,553 Posts
PaulFix said:
You must have strong pockets...
Believe me it doesn't take to many keys to be to much weight. There are other threads on this forum pertaining to this very issue.

·
MagMike
709 Posts
I had the same ignition problem last week. When they hooked the StarScan up to the car they found out that the computer didn't recognize my key. My spare key worked fine, though. They cut and programmed a new key and all is well now.

·
Wish I were in Wonderland
510 Posts
also had this happen to me.....turns out it was my Exxon SpeedPass key fob that was doing it...servie tech told me he got a memo (possibly a TSB???) from DC on this issue...said that the chip inside the device could actually shut down the whole electrical system in the car while it is in motion. He said it is fine to keep it in the map pocket or the center console though...said the transmitter is low power and has to be really close to the ignition for this to potentially happen.

Just a thought....

·
LX Newbie
75 Posts
Interesting, Ive had a few times the car had a delay before the start ... I have quite a few keys and also have a fob that disarms an alarm and opens a door, might try the key alone and see what it does .. thanks.

·
Absent From Malaise
4,553 Posts
Wow this is an old thread. Yeah I keep my key on its own fob now exclusively. I haven't had a problem since i did this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.