LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I wanted to try to break into the tuning world and learn how to tune so I can get my own thing going eventually. I’ve installed the basic tunes on my car (05 300C/5.7) so far that are within the Predator tuner itself. So now I want to start customizing parameters here and there and create my own custom tunes - not installing downloaded custom tunes from a dyno shop. Again, this is something I would like to eventually do as a business someday.

Is it possible to adjust parameters and create my own custom tunes on the device itself? I apologize if this sounds like an idiot question.

· Registered
4,413 Posts
The params on the handheld itself are a bit limited, but will give you a good idea of what the motor likes at WOT regarding timing and fueling, and you can move them around enough to see gains/losses.
If you really want to get into this you'll need access to a full tuning suite to be able to see the full calibration. There is a lot to it, especially on the newer cars.

Thanks

· Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Yeh, some formal professional training will save you some grief but not money. Then there is gaining the experience and learning the characteristics of makes you work on.
Having access to a dyno helps and is expensive unless you are lucky or fortunate in some way.
Making calibrations and scan logging & analyzing results off dyno has to be available street or track and gobbles up time.
Join HPTuners forum and lurk around.
Good luck.

· Registered
4,413 Posts
If you cut your teeth on standalones, it makes figuring out OEM PCMs more difficult, IMO.
Learning on an OEM PCM makes it where you look at something like the Holley software, and go, "thats it?".

Some of the big name guys who tune all the fast standalone race cars would have zero clue how to change WOT timing on something like a VVT based, torque based system from GM, Dodge, or worse yet, Ford.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.