LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
06 Dodge Charger RT R/T
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone had trouble balancing there aftermarket wheels? i had the TPM sensors swapped over and the guy had the hardest time balancing the wheels. Any help guys?

·
First AWD LX in the 12's N/A
8,067 Posts
I ran into a lot of problems getting mine balanced.

I've got DUB Dirty Dog 5 wheels from MHT.

The tire shop I was dealing with was awesome, and these guys do a lot of aftermarket wheels.

Started out with the GY RSA's in 245/45-20. Went through about 6 sets of tires and they wouldn't balance properly. They were using a Hunter GSP9700 Roadforce machine the best in the business. They would balance perfectly, put them on the car, drive around the block and they would wobble.

Then tried the GY F1 Supercar....... 2 sets, same result. The tires were actually spinning on the rim.

Finally went with Toyo Proxes ST in a 255/45-20. When the Toyo's came in the guy at the tire shop took a good look at the rims the GY's and the Toyo's.

Seems the bead angle on the GY's were too upright, so they weren't seating properly on the rims, the Toyo's had a natural bead angle much closer to the DUB rims.

That's what I'm running now and they are spot on.

·
06 Dodge Charger RT R/T
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm running the same set up. dub dirty dog 5's. toyo proxes 4's. 20x8.5 245/45/20 front and 20x10 275/40/20 rear. since i had to have all 8 tires dismounted, TPM sensors moved, and all 8 tires remounted and balanced, i went to a local tire shop. nothing fancy, just a tire shop. i have used them for my wifes car and my old expedition. no problems in the past, figured they would do fine. well, not this time. either i got the idiot, or the machine was shot. just to get home before the earth stopped, i told the guy "just put the weights on". i ended up with a boat load of weight everywhere. now the rear shakes between 50-60, the front shakes between 60-70. my choices are

a) go back and fight it out with them and try to get a good balance.
b) go to a reputable speed shop that deals with high end cars pay $100 and have it done all over again.

i'm leaning toward B.

the guy at the shop was saying that because they would not be putting the weights on the extreme edges like you normally would, i might notice some shake. i'm positive that in the year 2006 we have some way to properly balance aftermarket tires that look nice.

geez

·
8,067 Posts
I would go for the option B too bogey.

Mine have been balanced perfectly for a couple of months now.

All the weight is hidden behind the spokes.

You definately have to balance these on a Roadforce machine. If the guy knows what he's doing he first tells the machine where the spokes are so it can do the math to hide the weight as much as possible.

The guys I used are real pros at doing this and I was confident they would get it right, going through all of those tires and about 3 boxes of lead.

After all of the stuff they went through to get this spot on, I can see where a shop that is "less" specialized wouldn't be able to do it right.

Post a couple of pics of your ride. I'd love to see what the Dogs look like on a Charger

·
06 Dodge Charger RT R/T
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
LX Padiwan
354 Posts
Well i love the deal I got on my rims, but after driving 450 miles to Boston and back they were in depserate need of being re balanced. When they put the 1st wheel on the machine it was off by over 6oz! :shock: The shop dismounted the tires from the wheels, did a 180 on the fit and remounted em. 150% difference... Car rides great.

I just wish I had a set of tire sensors handy so they could have installed em while they had the tires off. Oh well....

·
06 Dodge Charger RT R/T
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'm planning on going the KW V1/Hotchkis route. so i'll be closing up the gap a bit. i spent the better pat of a month trying to find some good pics of these wheels on a lx car and couldn't find one. now i've seen 2 others. looks good, nice choice, lol.

·
One quick grocery get'r
526 Posts
I've found that you get what you pay for on wheel balancing. Discount Tire- free attempts to balance for lifetime. Reputable shop- paid and got a good balance the first time. Not sure what shop you're using, but if it happens to be a Discount, I'd try any place else.

·
06 Dodge Charger RT R/T
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my next stop will be this place. a co-worker recommended them. they do a lot of high end cars so they will have all the good equipment. spoke with one of the guys there, quoted me $20/wheel to balance. i hate to pay for balancing all over again, but i just don't think that tires plus will get the job done. i'm sure there fine for the average wheel/tire, just not big aftermarket stuff.

http://blvdcustoms.com/index.asp

·
LX Padiwan
657 Posts
bogey70 said:
anyone had trouble balancing there aftermarket wheels? i had the TPM sensors swapped over and the guy had the hardest time balancing the wheels. Any help guys?
Bogey,
Are you sure that these wheels are the 5x115 bolt pattern? The spec sheets I've seen for them only show sizes in the 5x114.3 bolt pattern to fit European cars or Mustangs.

In some cases, with the wrong bolt pattern, it is nearly impossible to get the wheels balanced because they're never quite centered correctly on the hub.

·
06 Dodge Charger RT R/T
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
went over that with the guy to make sure he went me the 5x115 not the 5x114.3. the guy at the tire shop couldn't get them to balance. as i said earlier, it is just a regular old run of the mill tire shop. since i needed the tpm sensors swapped over, and i have used them in the past, i went with them. pretty good service and a reasonable price. i just don't think they have the proper equipment for 20" wheels that you can't put weights on the extreme edges like a regular wheel and tire set up. i'm going to try the other place and see what i get.

·
8,067 Posts
VanillaRT4me said:
Bogey,
Are you sure that these wheels are the 5x115 bolt pattern? The spec sheets I've seen for them only show sizes in the 5x114.3 bolt pattern to fit European cars or Mustangs.

In some cases, with the wrong bolt pattern, it is nearly impossible to get the wheels balanced because they're never quite centered correctly on the hub.
The DUB line, actually most of MHT's (FOOSE, DUB, DRIV, Niche, Concept Neeper) wheels are available in 5X115 now. They even make the correct +42 offset for my AWD.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.