LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Magnum Come Loudly
7,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(warning - long thread. If you're at all interested, read it all the way through.
This is FREE, and includes ZERO paint.)

Edit with update - the door lock pins are the same deal. Shine 'em up if you desire.

I absolutely HATE the dull satin silver gauge / instrument cluster bezel rings on the pre-2008 ('07?) Magnum and Charger.
I've inquired about having it chromed, and also spoke with Billet Technologies, but the price was not worth it.

So, after 5 years of owning this car, and staring at the ugliest part of the interior (imo), I took it out. I finally found a paint that I was willing to try. (its a buffable aluminum paint for models - gets very reflective. but enough about that.)

You have to remove the whole black face that the rings are attached to. First remove the tan or gray panel under the steering wheel. There are 2 screws holding that panel on, and then 3 holding the black section on. Both panels have clips that are pressed in. You have to gently pry on the panels to get them out after the screw are out.
After you have those out, then you can GENTLY lift the tabs off their hooks from the back of the rings.

See this thread by Junior for removal

SO, I started to sand the rings with 600 grit paper to prep for painting.
Much to my shock and amazement, it started to get real shiny.
So shiny, I quickly forgot about paint.

A few hours later, after hitting with 1000 then 1500, then buffing with polishing compound on a little dremel buffing wheel, I've got a stupid grin on my face that didn't cost a dime!

Who would have known that chrome was hiding in there all this time?
I guess it's a chromish coating on the ABS plastic, with a satin clear over that.

I'm just thrilled. I know chrome or polished isn't for everyone, but if you've ever thought it was silly as dull silver, when the shifter surround is chrome, and the radio bezel is shiny, well, get busy!

1/2 done for comparison.

·
07 Charger RT R&T
4,240 Posts
On the SamfordSimpson scale of garage modding you have obtained a 5 out of 5. If you are into chrome you have done an awesome job. Beans to you.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Looks good

·
Hopped up on Super Supreme
7,696 Posts
amazing find! big beans baby!!! :beerchug:

·
Hopped up on Super Supreme
7,696 Posts

·
chillin the most
1,696 Posts
coooool

·
Belly your cans up on to the Oasis Bar
3,782 Posts
Looks nice. Is there a how to on the removal? Im not very "gentle" should something give me a hard time. I'm more of a pull on it - it will come apart.:doh:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
This is cool! I love it when hidden mods are revealed.

·
Magnum Come Loudly
7,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Looks nice. Is there a how to on the removal? Im not very "gentle" should something give me a hard time. I'm more of a pull on it - it will come apart.:doh:
YES! hang on, let me look - don't pull on the rings! ....

Ok, I did a search, but didn't find anything helpful.

Basically, it's this - do not pull on the rings.

You have to remove the whole black face that the rings are attached to. First remove the tan or gray panel under the steering wheel. There are 2 screws holding that panel on, and then 3 holding the black section on.

After you have those out, then you can GENTLY lift the tabs off their hooks from the back of the rings.

·
Magnum Come Loudly
7,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone, I'm glad you like it.

Ya Jonn, it is a little treasure to me for sure. Amazing really.

If someone wanted a bit less shine, a 600 grit paper does wonders too. Gives more of an aluminum look. I would have been just as happy with that, and it would be very quick and easy. You might even get away with doing this while still on the car. (would be harder I'd think)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.