LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Formerly known as CANDYAPPLE
9,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all the tire/wheel experts, I pose this question....My 05 Magnum SXT came with crappy Conti self seals P215/65R17 99T. Complained about them before even taking delivery. Figured I would just pop on a set of the same size Toyos, Yokohamas or anything that was a better handling tire. Lo and behold, there aren't any of that size to choose from. Now my dilema. Is there a Plus 1 size (225/60R17) that will work on my stock rim and give the same 28" height and correct speedo/odometer readings? Or, failing that, is the stock chrome R/T 18" rim a possible alternative that will work? I do not want to go 20" or 22" (Cost factor) and I don't want to be changing tires twice a year. If the 18" is a possibility, should a look at a Cragar (Like I had on my new 1970 Duster that year) or what?....What has worked for you with no problems?? Thanks for any feedback you may offer. P.S. A lot of tires are unavailable in Canada (like Yoko YK520's)
Cheers Candyapple

·
LX Newbie
38 Posts
Hello from Charlotte... I went through 2 sets of Conti in my first 25,000 miles on my 05 SXT and then put on a set of Yokohama AVID TRZ P225/60-17. They have a very close outside rolling speed so you will not have any speed issues. They also come with a 80,000 wear warranty.

Very pleased with them and good reviews at tirerack.com.

Revs per mile is 747 compared to the P215/65-17 Conti's 742.

·
MagMike
709 Posts
Using the tire size calculator found here on the forums, the ideal switch is to go to the 18 inch RT rims and 235-55/18 tire size that is used on the Daytonas. A tire store in my area occasionally has Daytona take offs and probably a tire store in your area has them also.

·
LX Padiwan
896 Posts
CANDYAPPLE said:
Now my dilema. Is there a Plus 1 size (225/60R17) that will work on my stock rim and give the same 28" height and correct speedo/odometer readings?
FYI. A Plus 1 example is going from 17 to 18 or 20 to 21" rim size. Increasing the width of the tire is not considered a Plus 1. The Magnum and Charger come with 225/60/18 and the Charger Performance Package has 235/55/18.

·
Formerly known as CANDYAPPLE
9,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your input guys. Yes, I remember what plus 1 refers to E55KEV, just starting to get a little confused with all the numbers I have gathered and sribbled down. I have contacted the rep for Yokohama here in Canada to see if there is any way he can import YK520's to fit my stock rims. Meanwhile, I am still undecided as to which direction to go in!

Cheers Candyapple

·
The NEW KRT
3,970 Posts
Your best bet and cheapest is getting a used set of R/T wheels. I sold mine for 350$ maybe a little cheap but look around. Guys and gals will be selling them all the time.
Good luck.

·
rice eatin bad azz wagon
940 Posts
all ' plus ' sizing means is if you get an inch bigger rim, you have to use a one inch lower profile tire. I have 235/55/18s on my RT to replace 225/60/18s and there fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.