LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
E skeud teñval tourioù gell
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the extreme heat in the area plus an increased workload, I've had to forego going home for lunch for the last month or so. So, the plus side is that I'm driving a lot less and therefore need less gas. But the down side is that I'm driving a lot less.

So, I loaded up my son this morning to run some errands, and decided for a quick run-through the touchless car wash to get the dust off. The attendant commented that it was time for new tires, and I just chuckled and said I just hit 21k miles and that they'll get me through the summer.

But I realized I hadn't really given my car a good walk around since June. Man, my tires are smooth! The driver's side front and passenger rear aree definitely showing off the results of burnouts. I'm sure the month long 100 degree weather hasn't helped preserve the tread, either.

So, it's time to bite the bullet and buy some tires. I had already decided on the BFG g-force t/a kdws after NorthernRider shot down my hopes and dreams of the 255/55 BFG NTs (terrible cold traction, and we get some nasty ice storms here), but I can't find them reasonably priced anywhere locally.

I got quotes from $750-$825 for the tires and installation - that's not even including tax!. Urgh.

So I went ahead and ordered them from Tirerack for $135 a piece plus $42 to ship. I have a quote of $66 to mount, balance, dispose of old tires, etc from a local tire place, so I should get out the door having spent $650.

Damn, I remember when muscle cars had 14" and 15" tires, and you could get out the door with $200 spent.

·
LX Guru
14,153 Posts
Those are nice tires. I got 40,000 very hard miles out of them. The middle of the tread seemed to wear a bit faster. I will go back to them when my Comfortreads wear out. They seem to wear about the same. As a comparison, my Conti's went 6,000 miles. The BFG's are lightyears ahead of the Comfortreads wet and dry, probably equal in ice and snow.

·
Threadkiller.........see?
3,099 Posts
67alecto said:
So I went ahead and ordered them from Tirerack for $135 a piece plus $42 to ship. I have a quote of $66 to mount, balance, dispose of old tires, etc from a local tire place, so I should get out the door having spent $650.

Damn, I remember when muscle cars had 14" and 15" tires, and you could get out the door with $200 spent.
$650, that's only about 3 times more than the old days (and for 18" rubber instead of 14 or 15"), but I'll bet our rigs cost a lot more than 3 times the price of the muscle cars you're thinking of! :wink: Dollar for dollar, compared to the old days we've got it good when we're shopping for tires....AND TV's!

You're going to love your new rubber, man!

·
Ride my famous Murder Ride
774 Posts
Look for a used tire dealer and sell your tires to them ... I get between 5-10 bucks per tire. Have the place that mounts them put your old tires in the back of your ride and have them knock off the disposal fee.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.