LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey gang, this question is a carry-over from a different thread, and one I wish I hadn't mucked up with the discussion, but it's a question I'd like to get your thoughts on.

The Corsa design has always been a round "canister" type resonator/muffler, which some folks didn't like the look of, and some folks didn't like the fit of - they hung down farther than most. But the performance and sound, most agreed, were unmatched.

The old style looked like this:

Mine look like this:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o73/itllgrowback/Projects/Corsas/IMG_76292.jpg

I understand only a little bit of how the old style functioned, but I'm wondering if that's been replaced by the new traditional oval muffler type.

Here's their diagram explaining the theory of the canister:

I'm not sure how that compares to the theory of the traditional oval muffler type.

I guess I'm a bit premature here, still waiting for a response from the tech guys at Corsa - and when I do hear back, I'll add that info here.

I just wanted to open the discussion, because it was a surprise to me to see they had changed, and I'm a little hesitant to install what I got, for fear they've changed for the worse. I really don't know yet.

EDIT: For future reference: Slow down, Edwards - just wait for the tech to respond before getting all worried about nothing.

They're on, and I love them. See below.

·
Speed on... Hell ain't half full
24,673 Posts
I believe you can design the noise-cancelling into any shaped package you want to... probably cheapest/easiest to do it in cylinders.

·
Premium Member
14,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I believe you can design the noise-cancelling into any shaped package you want to... probably cheapest/easiest to do it in cylinders.
Is that a vote for "shut up, Edwards - they're fine."? :mrgreen:

I'd be surprised if they did a redesign that affected either performance or their distinctive sound, but I was just surprised to see them go this way, without understanding why.

·
Premium Member
9,055 Posts
hrm, just ordered my Corsa and ended up with the round style. Something change recently?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
shut up, there fine ;) j/k

i wouldnt see why they would change. unless cost was a factor, maybe tooling has changed and they like the oval mufflers better?

·
Premium Member
14,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hrm, just ordered my Corsa and ended up with the round style. Something change recently?
Apparently - mine were built after I ordered them, and shipped directly from Corsa. They were marked with the correct part number (14177), but everything on their website still shows the canister style. I found no reference at all to the oval muffler style.

·
Speed on... Hell ain't half full
24,673 Posts
Naw, don't shut up, that's interesting. And if they have the right part number... hmmmmm. At first I was gonna say maybe those are the Challenger cans, but nope, they still have the round tips. Weird. If the new style can be directly swapped into the older systems, I'd buy a pair right now! Give 'em a call, let us know what they say :)

·
so many projects, so little money
6,331 Posts
i like the new look better for sure.

·
Premium Member
14,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think unless I hear from Corsa that there was a mix-up, I'll install these tonight.

My Dad was one of the voices asking for a redesign, and he has the old style. If I don't like these for some reason (and I really don't know what that would be, unless the sound is totally different), then he said he'd swap me. So I can try them out first and see if I can tell a difference.

It's probably much ado about nothing, but again, it was just surprising to see them totally different than they had always been.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Could the redesign have an impact on the sound of the Corsa at WOT? I really like the sound of my Corsa on the 2007 SRT Charger and wanted to get a set for the 2009 SRT Challenger. I hope not because I just like the fact the round design has no drone and really comes to life at WOT. Let us know what they sound like after your install.

Also, I also was not to keen on the look of the Corsa after install but after a while, I sort of came to like it.
Later

·
Premium Member
14,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I just got off the phone with Paul at Corsa, and he set my fears to rest.

It comes down to a manufacturing / stocking change - the 6.1L exhausts they make have had this style for a while, and they've just brought the 5.7L onboard to streamline the production process.

He assured me that the performance and tone have not changed, because the interior design theory has not. They're smart enough not to change the things they're known for, I guess. I kinda knew they wouldn't but it was good to hear that their focus hasn't changed.

He asked me to give my honest appraisal of the new system, once they're installed, but I was gonna anyway. ;)

·
Premium Member
14,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
voiding warranties
2,027 Posts
They arent doing any good sitting on the floor! :Na_Na_Na_Na: Get out to the garage already! Oh yeah and post pics once ya get them installed. :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
26,921 Posts
Hey gang, this question is a carry-over from a different thread, and one I wish I hadn't mucked up with the discussion, but it's a question I'd like to get your thoughts on.

The Corsa design has always been a round "canister" type resonator/muffler, which some folks didn't like the look of, and some folks didn't like the fit of - they hung down farther than most. But the performance and sound, most agreed, were unmatched.

The old style looked like this:

Mine look like this:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o73/itllgrowback/Projects/Corsas/IMG_76292.jpg

I understand only a little bit of how the old style functioned, but I'm wondering if that's been replaced by the new traditional oval muffler type.

Here's their diagram explaining the theory of the canister:

I'm not sure how that compares to the theory of the traditional oval muffler type.

I guess I'm a bit premature here, still waiting for a response from the tech guys at Corsa - and when I do hear back, I'll add that info here.

I just wanted to open the discussion, because it was a surprise to me to see they had changed, and I'm a little hesitant to install what I got, for fear they've changed for the worse. I really don't know yet.
Interesting pictures... Mine has the mufflers and x pipe as one assembly. Too bad, otherwise I could stuff it all in a large golf bag cover for my next plane trip..

Accoustically, it will be a bit different. It has to be, based on how their design works. Heck, a change in temperature affects how the Corsa sounds...

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.