LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, went to my dealer for an oil change today, and just like last time, they put 5 quarts of oil in NOT 6 quarts, this is the third time, second in a row, last time i got an apology, and a free oil change, this time, i got a ''sorry'', so i said i'm sorry too, this is the LAST time i will be here for service, to that, i got a blank stare! i saw my salesman, (a good friend) and he didn't know what to say, what can he say, it isn't his fault, the servie tech. doesn't think, (or know to check the oil, when changing it) or to look at the ''chart'' they say they have! so, now i guess i get to change my own oil for now on,
o k .... i'm done with the rant,...... thanks for letting me vent....
tom

i guess i need to :chill:

·
King of Logistics
567 Posts
I took mine to a dealer for the first time at 18,000 when I was having the 15,000 service done a little late.

They charged me for 5 quarts. When I asked if that was right the guy said "if that's what it says, that's what's in there"

I asked for him to double check so he brought in the guy who actually did the change.

Of course that guy said he put in 6.5 quarts. The guy looked at me like he killed my dog or something and said "well, enjoy the free 2 quarts"

Idiots... all of them.

·
345 Go!
1,160 Posts
It's not like....

The stealership service doesn't see may of these engines...

I wonder how many they do this to that are never discovered?

I wonder if it is a conscious effort to reduce cost in the short term for thme leading to lord knows what long term damage to your vehicle.

Note to self - check next time.

Actually, since the stealership charges $11.50 per quart, next time I will supply the 6 quarts of Mobil 1, filter, watch them and ask them to save the empty bottles.

·
Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late
6,193 Posts
The 5.7 Hemi takes 7 qts. No??
I have been using Castrol Syntec 5/20.
Change every 5K

·
Two tons o' Hemi powered fun!
390 Posts
My dealer charged me for 5 litres. I called them and asked if they put in 5 or the 6.5 that it needs. They said 6.5, but they only charged me for 5. I asked how come there's a sign in their service area that highlights which vehicles will be charged extra for extra oil, including the Magnum? I was told that was for the 'big diesels etc. that take like 8 litres' but they usually don't charge for the extra. I can't call them liars; the dipstick looked fine. Too bad they're in receivership now.

·
Premium Member
7,643 Posts
Most all dealers invoices will say 5 qt. since that's what the oil change price special is based on. They don't have a way to make the invoice say 6 or 7 qt. It would be extremely rare that they don't put enough oil in your car. It would be unlikely that being 1 qt. low on oil would do any damage to the engine since the hashmarks allow for it to be .99 qt low in the acceptable range.

·
Now we're talking.
12,200 Posts
My dealership has always put 5 quarts in my 3.5L and I always have to add another quart when I get home. It says 5 on the paperwork and the dipstick agrees. It's low. I've mentioned it to them many times. This last time they said they would fix it in their system. I will find out soon (next Saturday) if they did correct their mistake.

·
Premium Member
13,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MagnumSXT said:
Most all dealers invoices will say 5 qt. since that's what the oil change price special is based on. They don't have a way to make the invoice say 6 or 7 qt. It would be extremely rare that they don't put enough oil in your car. It would be unlikely that being 1 qt. low on oil would do any damage to the engine since the hashmarks allow for it to be .99 qt low in the acceptable range.
as far as the invoice having only 5 qts. on it, they do print out with 6 qts. on them, i have had 6 oil changes there, 3 say 6 qts. 3 say 5 qts. and the last 2 they added a qt. in the parking lot, i agree that a qt. low might not hurt the motor, but, if it calls for 6, i want 6 in it.

·
Premium Member
7,643 Posts
No, I agree, you should get all 6 qts. I'd asked my dealer why it didn't say 6qts. and that was the explanation they gave me.

Anyway, I agree, if since they keep doing it to you, either your dealer sucks, or the oil change guy does, but bottom line he represents the dealer so they suck too. Take them donuts next time and be nice to the guy that changes the oil. My guy always takes care of me. The first time I went is when I noticed the invoice saying 5qt. I asked the guy, then he popped the hood and verified that he put enough in. I took the donuts next time for him being concerned and triple checking without having to be asked. Now they like me. Food works.

·
LX Padiwan
246 Posts
I guess all these dealer techies don't bother with the dipstick. I've been changing my own oil for years, and it doesn't matter what type vehicle it was, always checked the level before calling the job complete.

·
Great White Shark
122 Posts
A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. You can be certain that the guy handling the oil changes in the service dept. is the lowest on the service totem pole. For big dealerships, this means that the guy who changes your oil could be different every time you bring it in, as the last guy has either been fired, promoted, or quit.

·
'05 Dodge Magnum SXT AWD
1,078 Posts
after my first (and last) dealer oil change, i checked it when i got home and saw it was a quart low. so i called my service manager and said he might want to let the oil change guy know the 3.5L in the magnum takes 6 qts. he told me that they know that, and that they intentionally only put in 5 qts, because filling to the full mark is actually overfilling it. i told him he was full of it.

now i dont mind someone making a mistake as long as its not major, but dammit, when you're called on it, own up to it and say you're sorry, dont try to blame me for your mistake. i really hate my dealers service manager, the guy is 100% jackas5.

·
Premium Member
13,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well, i'm in charge of the oil changes for now on, so, now if something is wrong,.... it's my fault,..... LOL... and with my luck, ... something will happen,.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.