LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a story on the Holley website about John Browns awesome auto X Challenger. He mentioned swapping upper arms reduced caster angle and effectively quickened steering response. Was wondering if anyone else had tried this. It would make sense that this would help steering, I'm sure bump steer would be changed as well. Would be great to hear anyones experience with trying this, and any other adjustments that had to be made.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the great write up! Hard to believe they shipped your car with that much - camber. Pointless to rotate tires!
Does it look like the SPC arms could be swapped?

·
Really Old Guy
1,905 Posts
Thanks for the great write up! Hard to believe they shipped your car with that much - camber. Pointless to rotate tires!
Does it look like the SPC arms could be swapped?
No... There is a Right & Left so to speak. They are the same.. but due to the ball joint offset you just flip them over. They are marked.

Just about all Chargers, Challengers, 300s & Magnums have the same issue... zero adjustments. except for toe and that is limited.

OBTW - I sent Dodge a bill for my updates to their crappy Mercedes design.

·
Super Moderator
5,326 Posts
With the amount of caster built into these cars, I would imagine swapping control arms from side to side would make it damn near undrivable at anything over 10-15mph.

The cars that are swapping sides only have 2 or 3 degrees of caster built into them, not 9-10+.

·
Really Old Guy
1,905 Posts
With the amount of caster built into these cars, I would imagine swapping control arms from side to side would make it damn near undrivable at anything over 10-15mph.

The cars that are swapping sides only have 2 or 3 degrees of caster built into them, not 9-10+.
I just checked my alignment printout and I am at 9 degrees on the left and 9.4 on the right.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,326 Posts
I just checked my alignment printout and I am at 9 degrees.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk
I know. Out of the hundreds of our cars that I've done, I saw 1 at 8.x and it was a pursuit.

Mine right now is sitting at 9.2 on the left and 9.7 on the right.

The good thing about the being high is it makes them much more stable at highway speed and reduces bump steer dramatically.

·
Super Moderator
5,326 Posts
Thanks for sharing your numbers, how about left and right camber? I'm going to collect some tools and measure mine before and after I try this.
I looked at the wrong alignment sheet when I posted my caster numbers.... whoops

Here's the last alignment I did. Also note, I'm easily hauling 200lbs+ over what a stock car would be. I'm also on fully stock front end components...struts, springs, arms, etc, are all stock.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Minor update, swapped the arms, discovered one joint was sloppy so got a replacement.
All I checked was the toe with a tape measure it was about 1/8" in.
Car drive fine tracks straight at highway speeds. Haven't run at an autocross yet, but one track event it seemed fine.
At limits of turn-in car feels great. I'll report back after an autocross.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts