LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I highway commute my 11' 5.7 300 and I want some gears but I don't want to loose much of my 25-26 mpg on the highway.
If I swapped to the 3.06 that most Charger RT's used (non-LSD units, I know but I don't care) into the 300 would there be a noticeable difference with low speed accell? I know these 5.7's are a hoot to drive with a 3.73 but that's a bit low and I want a bolt in option. The 3.06 can be had used for around 200.00 all day.
Anyone with experience on this?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
You're basically talking 300 rpm more at 70 mph so can't imagine it making any noticeable difference in mpg at all. Challengers for years offered the 3.07 axle as a $100 option on SXT in place of the 2.65 and as far as I know, the window sticker MPG never changed. So I wouldn't worry about it one bit as if there is any change to be found it will be miniscule.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Red trucker
1,279 Posts
Definitely worth it, just don't race it. Stock pre-eagle 5.7 is able to break stock non-LSD 6.1 axles lol:
Wood Floor Hardwood Gas Flooring

3.06 with LSD is worth it. I dunno if eagles w/NAG1's have this sort of flat spot accelerating off idle with the taller gears, but my 06 with 2.82's did. 3.06 took care of that nicely, also allowed it to hold MDS a tad more. If you do spend more time in the upper rpm range you will lose a little bit mileage but the swap is worth it for all around driveability.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mileage isn't a huge concern. Looking for better launch and better driveability this stock gear is stupid tall. I feel the flat spot you described, personally I think the torque converter exaggerates it.
I don't race it but it does see redline daily.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
You will find 2nd gear more alive as the 2.65 in mine seemed to leave me wanting. After the 3.06 there was more of a continuance of pulling power. No regrets. Kicking down to pass is more fun.

This is some excellent Gear Oil. 50k miles and a clean magnet and it still looked new.

Automotive lighting Font Rectangle Automotive tire Circle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts