LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
LX Newbie
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attempted to lower the rear of the magnum, and one of the lugs just spins with the stud. How do you get the lug off? Would this be covered under warranty? Plllllease help!!

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Question is who was the clown that last worked on the wheel, needs his nuts adjusted. I would expect the last person to have touched the wheel is going to pick-up the repair bill.

·
Mr. White Chocolate P. Rock
1,458 Posts
Probably not stripped, just the chrome cap thing on the nut is spinning, try tapping a 13/16ths ( or 21mm ) socket on carefully and undo. This is caused by someone using the wrong size socket usually 7/8ths...

·
Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late
6,193 Posts
I replaced all my "chrome capped" lugnuts, they are CRAP!
An embarassed Tech at America's (Discount) Tire knows I am always watching, he consoled me and installed REAL Plated lugnuts for like a buck a piece, less than their cost.

·
LX Newbie
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have the right size socket on it. .we can see it spinning, by using a hand socket. I bought the car outta state, so I cant take it back to that dealer.

·
What'd I miss?
23,444 Posts
you'll have to drill it out. drill the center of the stud. start small and keep going bigger untill you've drilled the stud enough that the nut will no longer be holding the wheel. the trick is to make sure you hit dead center of the stud and go in straight.

EDIT: if the stud is not spinning and it's just stripped, you can remove the rest of the nuts and pry on the backside of the wheel while using an impact wrench to remove the stripped one.

good luck.

·
E skeud teñval tourioù gell
3,450 Posts
That sucks. My wife's cousin had that happen to him in his 67 Barracuda (transplanted 340 6 pack). He heard a pop and then the wheel starting shaking. He pulled over and saw that one of the studs broke. When he went to take the wheel off, he stripped one of the lugs!

·
2006 Mag SRT Owner
13,441 Posts
Worse, some late 60s early 70s Mopars had left hand lugs on one side;)!!! Know how many you can break off before you figure that out as a youth?

Don

·
E skeud teñval tourioù gell
3,450 Posts
GasGunR said:
Worse, some late 60s early 70s Mopars had left hand lugs on one side;)!!! Know how many you can break off before you figure that out as a youth?

Don
yep, you get in the habit of licking your finger and wiping it on the end of the stud to reveal the tell-tale "L".

·
100K Mile Club!!
2,892 Posts
I'm in the same boat with my lugnuts. :evil: Took them to discount tire and they can't get them off.

·
Mr. White Chocolate P. Rock
1,458 Posts
SeadooSandi said:
I'm in the same boat with my lugnuts. :evil: Took them to discount tire and they can't get them off.
I bet yours are spinning the chrome cap on the nut itself, check my other post above

·
Speed on... Hell ain't half full
24,673 Posts
They really did left-hand lugs??? WHY?? I mean, if you do a centerlug race wheel, then yeah, it's necessary so it self-tightens... but on a multi-stud wheel, I say again, WHY??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.