LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Alter ego of MyMaggieMae...
11,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm driving home last night on the highway, I'm in the center lane, doing about 70 mph, and staying slightly behind a car in the left lane. We're both maintaining this speed for a couple of miles. We're coming up on an 18 wheeler in the center lane, so I switch to the left lane behind this car. When they get up to the truck, they slow down to between 60 and 65 mph. As soon as they pass the truck, it's back up to 70. Huh?!?! Why? :roll:

I've noticed this many times, and I just don't get it. Why do people slow down when going by an 18 wheeler? Anyone else noticed this?

·
Premium Member
7,643 Posts
Because they're stupid. Same reason people slow down when they get in a no passing zone or scoot to the very left of their lane when they are in a passing zone.

Or, maybe they're giving the trucker a little peep show.

·
I-495 Hater
5,026 Posts
To piss you off / make you nervous that you're stuck next to a semi

People in general are a-holes, especially on the road

·
Speed on... Hell ain't half full
24,673 Posts
People get scared because they feel like they're going too fast if they're passing something that big - at least that's all i can figure out. nothing steams me more than having my cruise control set and playing leapfrog with some a-hole that can't maintain speed withing a 10mph window.

·
The member formerly known as Jleilich
533 Posts
Super T said:
People get scared because they feel like they're going too fast if they're passing something that big - at least that's all i can figure out. nothing steams me more than having my cruise control set and playing leapfrog with some a-hole that can't maintain speed withing a 10mph window.
I think you are right, people get scared driving next to 18 wheelers so they slow down instead of doing the smart thing and speeding up to get by them.

·
I-495 Hater
5,026 Posts
Jleilich said:
I think you are right, people get scared driving next to 18 wheelers so they slow down instead of doing the smart thing and speeding up to get by them.
That makes sense! Slow down so not only do they have to drive next to the big rig longer, but the people behind them....while the wind or the lack of driving skill on the truck drivers part makes them swerve around within their lane, sometime outside of their lane......people irk me most times I swear

Jleilich, you're in upper marlboro huh? I end up driving through there when 495 is f'd up on the afternoon commute, which is usually 3-4 times a week

·
LX Padiwan
2,163 Posts
1) Why do people in front of you merge onto the NJ turnpike at 30mph, then move to the center lane. You pass them and while cruising 5 min later they pass you at +20mph.

2) Slow down to 6mph, 500ft from an EasyPass lane, STOP at the booth, then proceed.

3) Absolutely HAVE to pass you only to slowdown 10mph then you were travelling after they pass you.

It's what happens in a country where you basically fill out a form and they hand you a license.

·
Hersela
2,352 Posts
the same reason people slow down when going thru tunnels around here. i hate that! if you are so scared of the friggn tunnel i thought that you would SPEED THE HELL UP to get thru it, not do 15 under and just put along.

·
GOOD MEAT TAKES A LONG TIME!
21,543 Posts
I've always speed up to get around big rigs. I prefer not to have the front of my car pelted by rocks and other debris they kick up. :doh:

·
Haulin' Around That Great Gretsch Sound
195 Posts
For me, by far the most practical application of HEMI power is blasting past those transport trucks and, especially, gravel trucks on the highway. I figure the less time I spend behind or beside them, the safer my daily commute.

·
LX Newbie
135 Posts
MyMaggieMae said:
I'm driving home last night on the highway, I'm in the center lane, doing about 70 mph, and staying slightly behind a car in the left lane. We're both maintaining this speed for a couple of miles. We're coming up on an 18 wheeler in the center lane, so I switch to the left lane behind this car. When they get up to the truck, they slow down to between 60 and 65 mph. As soon as they pass the truck, it's back up to 70. Huh?!?! Why? :roll:

I've noticed this many times, and I just don't get it. Why do people slow down when going by an 18 wheeler? Anyone else noticed this?
Maybe they want to be sure the truck driver sees them before they attempt to pass? 18 wheelers have large blind spots.

·
Movin and shakin
1,900 Posts
I, too, speed up when passing big rigs. My fastest time passing a semi is less than a second. (Didn't get an accurate measurement because I couldn't hold the stopwatch, get an accurate time and control the car at 163 mph lol)

·
Premium Member
12,532 Posts
If you get beside the drivers they can't see you. Or if you can't see them in the mirror. The worst fear is them changing lanes on top of me. I will not follow a car past a truck. I only get up beside the truck when the car in front has cleared the front end of the truck and I can swoop by with a burst of speed.

·
GOOD MEAT TAKES A LONG TIME!
21,543 Posts
iRock said:
If you get beside the drivers they can't see you. Or if you can't see them in the mirror. The worst fear is them changing lanes on top of me. I will not follow a car past a truck. I only get up beside the truck when the car in front has cleared the front end of the truck and I can swoop by with a burst of speed.
Now that's a good defensive driving practice. Way to go, Shel! :thumbs_u:

·
Premium Member
26,921 Posts
Yup, I do the same... And the gravel trucks around here will make a mess of your paint, so I do my best to stay out of their path as well. Sometimes that means blasting by them to minimise the damage time.

·
Premium Member
10,447 Posts
This why when people do that, I would just flash your headlights or strobes if you have them, and run up on their bumper and let off, they get going pretty quick when see a big black car flying up on them. haha yes I know I am A-hole wait till I get strobes in my car hahaha "Yeah thats legal" haha.

·
A.K.A TabasGo
173 Posts
OK, I think I have the answer!!! And it has to do with aerodynamics and stuff like that.

First... what kind of car is it? Does it have a HEMI?

I would say that our poor little underpowered "highway-mates" are getting caught up trying to push through the pressure wave of air that is coming around the 18wheeler. If only they had a HEMI:doh: Then they would be able to push through as if there was nothing there.

That is my theory... underpowered...pressure wave..."HEMI-Less"

·
LX Newbie
252 Posts
What is worse is when they do it in heavy rain. So not only is their front bumper in line with the rear bumper of the trailer, but they have so much spray they can't possibly see where they are going. Then they seem to sit there for five minutes or so. Don't they realize if they passed the truck they could actually see?

·
Premium Member
16,511 Posts
This is what I was thinking too. I was thinking that the other car may be lighter and have to work at punching throught the pressure wave kicked up by the truck.

Tabasco said:
OK, I think I have the answer!!! And it has to do with aerodynamics and stuff like that.

First... what kind of car is it? Does it have a HEMI?

I would say that our poor little underpowered "highway-mates" are getting caught up trying to push through the pressure wave of air that is coming around the 18wheeler. If only they had a HEMI:doh: Then they would be able to push through as if there was nothing there.

That is my theory... underpowered...pressure wave..."HEMI-Less"

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.