LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
LX Padiwan
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All, I was wondering... My tranny seems a little harsh at times, but figured I was just paranoid. Anyway, this weekend I was running through some mountains in NH, and I let the car roll down the hills in neutral. When I went to put it in drive, the indicator on the dash said D, but the tranny would not engage. Took about 5 tries, and then it dropped into gear. What do you think? Not the first time I put a vehicle into N on a long downhill run, but the first that didn't want to go back into gear. Tried it later on a differrent hill, and it was fine. Guess you can call me Paranoid Pablo!

·
2006 Mag SRT Owner
13,441 Posts
Yep, your paranoid. It won't work!

Fnky will probably jump in here, but I've tried this too and its normal for our cars IMO.

Don

·
Speed on... Hell ain't half full
24,673 Posts
I only had it do this once... I got a little freaked out as well. Usually it engages.

·
Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late
6,193 Posts
Prolly not great idear to be putting in "N" and coasting anyway.
Kinda reminds me of the old days, take a rental, get up to 50 MPH and try to shove it in reverse!!

·
AG Strek
3,082 Posts
If I remember correct, these cars don't like being put in Neutral when driving at all! I think one guy actaully went into limp mode when he did that...

·
LX Padiwan
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's the bi deal with putting it in neutral? How can it hurt? Not trying to sound cocky, just curious. If it is just freely rolling, how can it hurt anything? I didn't try to slam it into 1st or 2nd at 60! That might be fun on someone else ride, or a rental, but not mine! My Superduty with the diesel just rolled away on the hills, as the diesel doesn't have the same engine braking as the gas engines, or something like that.

·
Absent From Malaise
4,553 Posts
Why are you doing this? To save gas or something? Just wondering why you have a habit of coasting hills in neutral?

·
Mr. White Chocolate P. Rock
1,458 Posts
THere was a post a year or so ago about this and there is a speed that this happens at and doesnt below

·
Steve
1,082 Posts
Hummm...I'm gonna pull out my owner's manual....I think I read something in there pertaining to this...

Page 208 Owners Manual for 2005 Dodge Magnum....

"Neutral
No power is transmitted from the engine to the drive axel. When the brakes are released, the vehicle can be moved freely (pushed or towed). Do not engage in neutral position while driving execpt to coast when the vehicle is in danger of skidding (e.g., on icy roads).

CAUTION!
Coasting the vehicle, or driving for any other reason with selector in neutral can result in transmission damage that is not
covered by the limited warranty."

·
LX Guru
2,871 Posts
As a rule of thumb, never drop an automatic transmission into neutral while "coasting". It is a *very* bad idea. They are not designed to do this.

I don't know why, I'm just pulling on the vast experience of others. I've had people like my father, gear head friends, and others tell me it is a bad idea to put an auto into neutral downhill.

I imagine it has something to do with one part of the tranny spinning incredibly fast as it is coasting (drive train) and the other side of the tranny spinning very slowly. Engaging the transmission at this point would send a very large jolt through the drive train. All that sudden torque could wreak havoc me thinks.

I have a slight understanding of transmissions and shifting. It seems like when you coast a manual you can go right into the proper gear. Perhaps the automatic isn't "smart enough" to automatically go into the highest gear so dropping it into drive may be hitting a low gear and quickly shifting to a high one...

just some thoughts.

·
The Communicator
295 Posts
I have had some clunking issues when accelerating at times. I have a feeling it is a universal joint

·
LX Padiwan
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't have a habit of it. Just rolling with the terrain this time. Never heard it being an issue. It was actually more fun coasting through these decents on my bicycle, which I had just taken over the climbs. 45 MPH on 23mm wide tires! With turns. Ye Haw Cowboy!

·
rest in peace dad
15,811 Posts
yepps that happened to me once!!!

Husker said:
If I remember correct, these cars don't like being put in Neutral when driving at all! I think one guy actaully went into limp mode when he did that...

·
Wagon Burner
72 Posts
I have had my tranny stick in second gear when driving it hard(most of the time!) & wondered if anyone else has had this happen. I have to go to neutral as it will stay in 2nd & not shift even as I go up & down through the gears??? I've only got 32000 km's(20k miles) & wonder whats next.

·
'06 SXT AWD
79 Posts
I don't know about you with your Hemi AWD, but on my SXT AWD, I usually accelerate when off the throttle coasting downhill in O/D.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.