LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might catch some slack for this but has anyone tried to convert their SRT8 into an AWD beast. I see plenty of threads of removing the 5.7 out of their vehicles and then dropping in a 6.1 but nothing on converting an existing 6.1 into an AWD. I currently own both a 5.7 300c AWD with a blown motor and a 2006 6.1 SRT8. I was wondering, aside from the mechanical aspect of it, what else would be required? Would I need my PCM flashed to accept the AWD setup? Would my Brembos fit the front steering knuckles?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I have crawled under and noticed small differences. I just need someone that’s done this or attempted to. I need to know how much of a plug and play the setup is. Would the transfer case fit the SRT8 tunnel or would I in need to modify it. There are quite a few variables that I’d like to confirm before jumping in and realizing that I need to do some more fab work than I originally intended.

· Red trucker
1,354 Posts
It's not slight differences lol. It's not plug and play at all.
Font Parallel Diagram Number Event

Font Parallel Diagram Pattern Rectangle

At minimum you'd have to completely swap crossmembers (may still require fab work). Different oil pan for the AWD, will work on a 6.1 but might not with anything having a longer stroke (like a 392). Brembos are a no go on the AWD spindle (as you know, calipers go to the front). Assuming you have an LX (05-10) vs an LD (11+), that t-case won't live long behind too much power. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the AWD cars have an extra hump for the t-case that the RWD cars don't have? If so that would require fab work. This (and more) is why you don't see SRT cars gettting converted, but instead R/T AWD's getting hot rodded (usually 11+ with the better t-case control).

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exactly what I wanted to read. Thank you. Yeah I have both an 06 300c AWD and an SRT8. I thought about dropping everything from the AWD (cradle, spindles and all), and slapping the 6.1 on that and loading it up to the SRT. The hump is bigger on the passenger side of the AWD and wondered about cutting that out and welding it onto the SRT. I kind of figured the Brembos wouldn’t work. Just needed confirmation. I’ll just have to concentrate on power and tuning in the SRT8. I just enjoyed the launch of my AWD till the motor blew. I’ll just have to replace that motor instead. Thanks again for the input

· Red trucker
1,354 Posts
Exactly what I wanted to read. Thank you. Yeah I have both an 06 300c AWD and an SRT8. I thought about dropping everything from the AWD (cradle, spindles and all), and slapping the 6.1 on that and loading it up to the SRT. The hump is bigger on the passenger side of the AWD and wondered about cutting that out and welding it onto the SRT. I kind of figured the Brembos wouldn’t work. Just needed confirmation. I’ll just have to concentrate on power and tuning in the SRT8. I just enjoyed the launch of my AWD till the motor blew. I’ll just have to replace that motor instead. Thanks again for the input
Nothing is stopping you from hot rodding a 5.7 in the AWD and using the BR9 police brakes (those front calipers are bigger than the front 4 pot Brembos).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts