LX Forums Forum banner
221 - 240 of 255 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,763 Posts
you mean by putting SRT wheels on my RT, I didn't get to go longer on my plugs?

What are the odds mine are fused to the block? Should we take bets?
We had 80,000+ on the stock plugs and they removed effortlessly. They definitely needed to be changed, but for 80k, they looked good and came out easily.

·
Magnum R/T Master
816 Posts
Let me introduce you to one of the best tools you can have for doing this,

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R82235-JobMax-Starter-Kit/EN/index.htm
with this attachment:

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/JobMax-Ratchet-Head

This will speed things up tremendously.
You can zip all those little bolts on and off in seconds without over torquing them.
Plus, they make all sorts of heads for this thing and the battery life will really surprise you!!
I have every attachment for this thing, it's simply awesome!!!

On the end of it you want to attach this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/extended-reach-spark-plug-socket-91705.html

These tools are the trick you need to do it right.
Make sure to use ANTI-SEIZE on the plugs so they come out smoothly the next time.

I'm about to do this again, I'll take photos.

·
Sedan on Steroids
159 Posts
Thanks for the write up, any way to reload the pics?
Are you referring to the pics on the first page of this thread? FYI - Those are still visible to me.

·
Just hangin...
472 Posts
Updates...

Yup, pics from first page appear to be history (and gone!). However, since many now have the newer coil style, the later pics on page 8 help most.

Links for 3/8" flex drive no longer work (page 5), but if looking for that, check out Amazon.com: 7/12 Inch Long Flex A Bit: Home Improvement (which is NOT 12"!) or Amazon.com: Eazy Power: Tools & Home Improvement which has several options. Or at Autozone, 2 piece flex extensions, 3/8 and 1/4 drive (see Duralast/2 pcs. 1/4 in. drive x 6 in. and 3/8 in. drive x 8 in. flexible extension set (70-388) | Extension Bar | AutoZone.com ).

Reviewed all this, since I'm getting ready for my first plug swap, and appreciate all the info and comments.

Found an 11" 5/8 "wobble" plug socket at Autozone (see Duralast/3/8 in. drive 5/8 in. chrome vanadium steel flex spark plug socket and extension (75-520) | Socket | AutoZone.com ) which I think will work great. 3/8 drive, and $12. After wrenching on cars for 40 years, I become more and more convinced that decent tools are the way to go!

Also - anyone might be interested in checking out http://www.lxforums.com/board/f74/how-change-16-spark-plugs-4-hours-195194/ where Vinny68 has some nice pics and tips.

Thanks BrilliantBlackHemi for starting the thread, IES99 for posting great pics, and everyone else out there that contributed! :thumbs_u:

·
Just hangin...
472 Posts
I wanted to share my comments AFTER the plug replacement - took a little over 2 hours, had no real problems, and everything went smoothly. On my 2007 5.7L Magnum, the long plug socket/extension would not fit on the front and rear passenger side plugs, so having a selection of various sockets and extensions really helped, as did the flex item also mentioned above. If you don't own an inch/pound torque wrench, some Autozone stores have product number 27173 http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=209524_0_0_ available to borrow at no charge (leave $50 deposit, fully refunded on return). The whole job is a little tedious (16 plugs after all!), but compared to working on a transverse V6, piece of cake! And having the right tools makes it so much easier!

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
I did mine..... P.S. Driver side is the easy side! Looked like my plugs hadn't been changed in a long while. I got it with 80k and the plugs showed it! Changed them and cleaned the tb and she runs like a top now

·
Registered
135 Posts
Referring to first page. Didn't read the whole thread.

Copper dissipates heat faster than iridium and iridium dissipates heat faster than platinum. New to the MDS but guessing the higher heat retention of the latter two metals may have something to do with the engineers recommending copper core plugs be installed from the factory.

·
RE
1,296 Posts
Plugs are not torqued... if it has the little metal gasket it is a 1/4 turn past contact, if it doesn't and it just has a tapered metal flange it is 1/16 turn past contact. or snugged up as someone put it... haven't done mine yet but about to... hopefully get rid of the stutter I get sometimes...

I'm not even at 23k yet but I like doing things early... Might try the platinums but like most said, the coppers are fine and cheaper and I'll be taking them out on the copper scheduled 30k or sooner anyways so why throw the money out...

maybe I'll do em and like my oil go right on schedule instead of early with regular (changed to synth at 3k)
The plugs are supose to be torqued. Get them to tight and you will be sorry. We have aluminium heads and you can screw up the threads.

·
RE
1,296 Posts
I replaced my spark plugs about a week ago and did not use a torque wrench. What should I do? Would it make sense at this point ot try to remove them and retorque? I've only driven the car about 10 miles so far as I was out of town for most of the week. I used antiseize on them as well.
As long as you did not tighten them down to hard you will be ok. I would worrie about it but torque them the next time.

·
Premium Member
5,003 Posts
No pix necessary. There is PLENTY of information throughout this thread to get this job done, properly.

Stick to the torque specs in this thread (13-15 ft-lbs) for the 5.7L engine.

You'll need the 10mm socket to remove the coil packs and a DEEP socket (see post 222) for the plugs. If you can't find one, get a LONG extension for your ratchet.

It's as easy as taking out the old and installing the new.

Be sure to:

Gap your plugs.

Anti-Seize.

Take your time.

Enjoy yourself :)

Bob

·
Just chillin' **** style...
2,889 Posts
Thanks to Ralph at Show and Performance for doing this swap for me.

He could've done it blind-folded if he wanted to he's done it so many times!!!

I watched him intently so next time I maaaay be able to do it myself. We'll see but I don't have the tools he did.

New plugs, some Sea Foam and voila! Car feels young again!!!

Thanks Ralph!

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
is this process virtually the same for the 6.1L in my SRT8?

221 - 240 of 255 Posts