LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
Plugs are not torqued... if it has the little metal gasket it is a 1/4 turn past contact, if it doesn't and it just has a tapered metal flange it is 1/16 turn past contact. or snugged up as someone put it... haven't done mine yet but about to... hopefully get rid of the stutter I get sometimes...
According to the Service Manual: "13 foot pounds; not to exceed 15 foot pounds", for the 5.7L engine.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
Very useful write up. I just finished changing the spark plugs on my 2006 Daytona. One of the simplest plug changes I've ever done. Not sure how it could have been made easier. That being said, it still took 1 hour and fifteen. There's a lot of twisting involved with changing 16 long plugs. I replaced the plugs with the exact same Champion type. I used anti seize and dialectic grease. I even set the gap and torqued the plugs, a first for me. I do have a couple comments, hopefully not offending anyone. I'm not sure how a few of you dropped screws when removing the coils. For my car they are the type of screw that remain in the coil pack (retainer type) when unbolted. Next comment is concerning the mileage. I was surprised at the low mileage a few of you changed your plugs at. Seemed like the 70s again. Perhaps shame on me for waiting until 110K miles to change them for the first time but the car has alway run so good I wrongfully assumed they were platinum plugs. The old plugs were all about the same with .060" gap. Don't get me wrong, I do believe in preventive maintenance which is why I changed my serpentine belt the other day.
Well... for the 5.7, the changeout schedule is every 30k, using Copper plugs.

On the other hand, the 6.1's have Iridium plugs and the changeout schedule is 100k.

Some members are running Iridium plugs in the 5.7 and going with longer changout schedules...

I would say that those whom you have observed as changing out their plugs at relatively low miles are probably following the prescribed maintenance schedule :)

Bob

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
No pix necessary. There is PLENTY of information throughout this thread to get this job done, properly.

Stick to the torque specs in this thread (13-15 ft-lbs) for the 5.7L engine.

You'll need the 10mm socket to remove the coil packs and a DEEP socket (see post 222) for the plugs. If you can't find one, get a LONG extension for your ratchet.

It's as easy as taking out the old and installing the new.

Be sure to:

Gap your plugs.

Anti-Seize.

Take your time.

Enjoy yourself :)

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts