LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Custom Ice Cream Eater
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone with a Brilliant Black R/T (preferably in Az) had any bubbling under the mouldings? I've been reading a lot about the bubble issue and I haven't seen problems (unless i'm blind) with the issue in Az too much, so I'm thinking maybe it has to do with climates. I'm still very hesitant on removing them because I don't want to worry about finding the little buggers.

·
vajazzle it!....;)
15,798 Posts
E-
Well....if you want to find out...Dive into the deep end of the pool and start on the driver door. It SEEMS for some UNKNOWN reason this is the most common place for this 'bubbling' to occur. (Dont know why tho!) Since you live in AZ, I doubt heat is goonna be a problem. Wait until the middle of the day, when it's F-in' blazing, and grab the molding and SLOWLY.....VERY SLOWLY...pull it up. I doubt you will need any fishing line or anything else like that. Just grab an end and start pulling SLOWLY, GENTLY. You will see two strips of double sided foam tape. One at the top of the moulding and the other at the bottom. It wont be any time at all before you can see under and check for bubbling.
WHEN you do it...be sure to post reports on that other thread that you have been watching too.
Here:
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=36584&page=6

·
Custom Ice Cream Eater
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hopefully I'll get to it soon and let you all know. Just hope it'll be ok!!

·
juzpazzinthru
449 Posts
I'm scared.........can't watch.............I see dead people
seriously tho, I think in the warmer climates it hasn't been an issue from posts I have be seeing. But, like you I haven't done it yet. I have the side spears to do and I think the moulding has to go 'cause it may be too much with both.

·
vajazzle it!....;)
15,798 Posts
xcelr8r-
Check that other thread...plenty of "warmer climate issues" there. We were thinking it may only be occuring in the scorching/humid areas....

·
Custom Ice Cream Eater
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Humid is what I was thinking. It's Monsoon season here in Az and with it being so gross outside, i might just have to wait until the "dry heat" comes back. I'll give it a couple weeks...

·
Wish I were in Wonderland
510 Posts
Well....I'm at the beach in NC close to the SC line....Heat index today was 108 ..... shaving my side moldings tomorrow....I'll let y'all know what happens...

·
vajazzle it!....;)
15,798 Posts
so.....??

·
rice eatin bad azz wagon
940 Posts
Its seeming likely that the culprit for the paint bubbles (paint delamination) may well be moisture getting in between the 2 strips of adhesive tape. Dry climate cars shouldnt have the problem if thats what is causing it. Either way, id suggest using some clear silicone sealant to close up the ends of each molding. Easily done with no hint of it. Wait to do it for at least a few days after washing or being in the rain so you dont seal water permanently in. Maybe even use an air hose to blow thru the front or rear if you have access. Ill be doing mine tommorrow, I dont want rust and peeling paint to start peeking out from the molding edges in a year or 2.

·
Absent From Malaise
4,553 Posts
When I pulled my moldings off there was wet road grime and actual water droplets between the tape. Its a horrible design flaw that should be addressed.
Personally I didn't get the bubbles or the clouding on my early build date 06 but I guess I got lucky.

·
rice eatin bad azz wagon
940 Posts
I posted my fix for guys that left them on in the other thread. Only takes a few minutes and a tube of sealant.

For ones that already have the delamination, your out of luck. Hope for the best cause its either going to need repainted or traded off before rustout starts. If you had the bubbles and they went away, that will only be temporary for a few years maybe. If you never had them, your probably alright. Be careful with the quarter self serve car wash power sprayer.

Someone with some pull on here should make DM aware of this problem.

·
Wish I were in Wonderland
510 Posts
Well let me tell ya......I shaved mine last week.... I have the bubbles.... More on the driver side thaen on the passenger side....Only on the front doors, not on the back and they are heaviest concentration at the front end of the door and diminish as you go farther back....

That having been said, I am still VERY happy with the look of the car. I am so glad I shaved it. I have to be at just the right angle and in just the right light to see that there is anything there.

·
rice eatin bad azz wagon
940 Posts
I agree that its a cleaner look. Just want everyone to be aware that the paint IS going to peel off the doors sooner or later because the bubbles show that there is no adhesion to the body. It will prob stay on until the warranty expires, then you will have to pay a few thou to get a repaint.

·
vajazzle it!....;)
15,798 Posts
Praetorian-
Yeah...yoou *think* those 'bubbles' dont annoy you yet...Just wait until you reeeeaaaally want the car to shine! Throwin on the best wax..spending ALL day washing waxing, detailing...and then you look at that crazy texture.....You are gonna scream! - TRUST ME!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.