LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
LX Oldtimer
11,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good thing I didn't attend the shindig after all, had to call 911 this morning at 3:30 AM. My son Mike (44) who has been ill the last couple of days, was now coughing up blood. He is in the emergency room still (9 hrs) and waiting for a room, to be admitted. His blood sugar level was over 600!

He seems to be doing better now, resting okay, will be doing a lot more tests in the coming days.

Thanks for listening,

Bob

·
She's done heck darnit!
3,384 Posts
Yes, wishes for a speedy recovery, indeed. We missed having you there, but you're right, it ended up better that you stayed.

·
magnumaniac
452 Posts
Be strong for him, keep the faith and we will keep him in our prayers.

·
Wish I were in Wonderland
510 Posts
Bob, you and your family, and especially Mike, are in our thoughts and prayers.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
This is the place to go for prayers, believe me! And you son , you and your family certainly have mine. May God bless you and keep you...

·
LX Oldtimer
11,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the good wishes, I wasn't sure if I should post any personal stuff here, but yesterday was a hard one for the wife and I. My son Mike has some serious health issues, he is on disability with Diabetes. Today will also be a rough one, they will be running a bunch of tests. Right now it looks like bleeding ulcers or his Pancreas. He used to be so strong and healthy, about 220 pounds, now he is about 140 on a good day.

His Pancreas is just about non-functioning, it makes the enzymines necessary to absorb nutrition from the food you eat. When he first got sick (years ago) he would eat like a horse and lose weight, his body was nothing more than a garbage disposal - he was getting zero nutrition from the food. He would eat alot, yet he was starving to death.

We finally convinced him to move to Florida and live with us, we paid for all the tests and medications to help him. With the help from some good doctors and the right medications, he improved. Right now his medications cost over $800 a month, but since he went on S.S. disability, he gets most of his med's cheap, so that is a big help. He needs the med's to be able to get nutrition from the food, sort of filling in for his bad Pancreas.

He will never be healthy (normal) again, he will slowly get worse over the years. We know that we will out live him, that is hard to bear.

The hospital tests showed his blood sugar was over 600 (100 is normal),
and his white cell count was twice what it should be, so they gave him some antibiotics - he must have an infection. He was in Emergency room for over 14 hours before they were able to get him a room, yes, the hospitals are busy (full). He was very dehydrated, they gave him at least 3 bags of fluids.

So it is back to the hospital today.........................

Thanks again,

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,985 Posts
Hope everythng turns out OK

FloridaRT said:
Good thing I didn't attend the shindig after all, had to call 911 this morning at 3:30 AM. My son Mike (44) who has been ill the last couple of days, was now coughing up blood. He is in the emergency room still (9 hrs) and waiting for a room, to be admitted. His blood sugar level was over 600!

He seems to be doing better now, resting okay, will be doing a lot more tests in the coming days.

Thanks for listening,

Bob
Prayers are with you

Chasb

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.