LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
LX Padiwan
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just after the wife & I bought our magnum, my poor wife pulled into a parking stall & scraped up the under side of the front facia on a parking block. Took the paint completely off in places, not super noticable unless you get on a knee & lean down to look. I went ahead & primed & painted with brush on touch up paint & it helps to conceal even more, however it is aprox 8"x4" just before the driver's side wheel well. When I get down to look at it, (again not noticeable while standing in front of car.) I'm really put off by the look of the brushed on touch up paint. Have any of you had this problem & if so is it worth it to me to pull the facia & sand off the brush on paint & shoot it with with a rattle can version? (well masked, of course.) If you've gone this route, please share your reults. I wouldn't want to go through all the trouble if the results are only marginally better.

·
LX Guru
4,322 Posts
What I did was paint the bottom black, so that when I scrape it again, the scrape will blend in with the black plastic under the paint.

From this

to this

·
Inspired Performance
6,332 Posts
Now there's a great idea! :not_worth

·
345 Go!
1,160 Posts
Magnum Maniac said:
Now there's a great idea! :not_worth
I'll have to second that one... :not_worth

Truly a moment of inspiration. I drove a dodge ram pickup prior to getting my Maggie - first parking block I pull up to - of course I'm used to driving till th etires hit... scrape.. along the front - lucky -it could have been a taller block that taught me this lesson... anyway - needless to say... hasn't happened since. I make SURE to tell anyone driving it not to pull in too far.

Semi-Hemi - I see you have since added the body color painted fog lamp bezels and lamps... I have the lamps - but need to paint or purchas Inferno bezels... how were yours done - they look great

·
LX Guru
4,322 Posts
wbornio said:
I'll have to second that one... :not_worth

Truly a moment of inspiration. I drove a dodge ram pickup prior to getting my Maggie - first parking block I pull up to - of course I'm used to driving till th etires hit... scrape.. along the front - lucky -it could have been a taller block that taught me this lesson... anyway - needless to say... hasn't happened since. I make SURE to tell anyone driving it not to pull in too far.

Semi-Hemi - I see you have since added the body color painted fog lamp bezels and lamps... I have the lamps - but need to paint or purchas Inferno bezels... how were yours done - they look great
I took them to a body shop to have them done when I had some roof work done (long stupid story), they has to keep her an extra day so the guys there painted them for free. They said it was just like painting the flexi panels like the front and rear fasica. Ernie here sells them too (avon custom wheels). The pair is like $20 for new bezels and if I remember right they were going to charge me $50 to paint. They are somewhat of a pain to get off. You have to take the bottom engine shroud off, 2 metal retainers and 2 tabs.

·
slickmagnum
36 Posts
Actually just about 2 weeks ago I had noticed on my magnum that parts of the underneath of my front fascia was never painted from the factory-only primed, it was done under warranty but I saw the bill to the dealer (who by the way does not do their own painting) and it was $230.00, they removed the entire front fascia and repainted the bottom and clear coated the entire fascia. Great job by the way, could not even tell.If it were me i have it done professionaly, but I'm a perfectionist of sorts. My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
26,921 Posts
Just be happy you don't have the SRT fascia... I'm always having to look and think ahead to not scrape it!

I was considering the black as well. Then it got cracked, so I'm starting over with a new one. So far, so good....

·
LX Guru
4,322 Posts
Gameboy said:
That's usin the 'ol noggin Semi! I've also got a bright silver so I appreciate the pics. Is the black done by the pros, or did you rattle can it?
The guys working on the roof did the paint as part of the waiting an extra day past promised return. Though I was told its as easy as scuff and paint. Dont want to use flat paint because road oil and dirt can "soak" into the paint and become spotty. I was plaing on taking the truck bedlining stuff and doing it, but they beat me to it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.