LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
GO 'NOLES! MCATDT
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Occasionally, after driving for a few miles and then stoping at a red light, my SXT will start shaking. It feels like being parked on a bridge with large trucks going across or like someone dancing in the back seat. I look at the tach and it has droped below normal and then it goes back up and everything is ok.

Has anyone else had this happen? I don't even have 3000 miles on her yet. I will be talking to the dealership about it, but just wanted to know if this is a common thing.

Thanks!

·
LX Padiwan
644 Posts
Sounds abnormal if you're feeling it. I had a surging problem that was fixed by a ecm/ecu flash (TSB).

I've noticed mine is getting a little rough again so I'm going to complain next service.

There's 2 or 3 TSB's for rough idle on the 3.5L. I'd complain to your dealer.

·
GO 'NOLES! MCATDT
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does seem to only happen when the A/C is on... but I've had it on pretty much all the time since I bought it. Once, when it started happening, I turned off the A/C, and the shaking quickly went away.

Maybe that's just a strange coincidence.

During lunchtime today, the car shook just a little tiny bit at a light.

We just need to get rid of all traffic lights, then there will not be a problem. :wink:

·
GO 'NOLES! MCATDT
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey 3.5'ers

When your tranny is in Drive, what are your RPM's at idle? I noticed yesterday on the way home it would sit at 750rpm. This morning, it was idling lower... maybe around 600 rpm. Does anyone else notice fluctuations like this? (A/C was on in both cases.)

I'm trying to determine if the car will sometimes idle at a lower speed for some reason, and if that is causing the rough idle.

I was going to take it to the dealer this morning, but those guys ticked me off again by leaving greasy fingerprints on the headliner by the driver's door. Last time it was a grease mark on the leather seat. Plus, they wouldn't have found anything wrong with the car. Ugh.

David Z

·
All Black Everything!!!
6,115 Posts
my 2.7 gets that same feeling, like sitting on a bridge while trucks are moving by, however its not with e a/c on and the idle doesnt drop. and at a light in drive with my foot on the brake it idles fine at 700-750, other than the shakes, nothing else happens..

·
www.SHANE-O-MATIC.com
18 Posts
Shortly after I purchased my Mag, I noticed this same problem and made mention of it to the dealer. They had no answers for me.

Since then, I've just accepted it as being normal. I might just ask again (a different person this time) to see if there are any updates.

·
GO 'NOLES! MCATDT
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah... same news here. Since I can't make the car reproduce it, the dealer will never find a problem with it.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
ZMAG..I usually idle around 600-700

2 or 3 times I have had the car feel like it is going to stall..like it wasnt getting gas...check engine light went on then it goes away...wondering if I have a bad tank of gas?

·
LX Padiwan
218 Posts
TSB 09-005-05 dated dec/2/05

SUBJECT:
Multiple Cylinder Misfire Or Rough Idle
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves rotating all engine exhaust valves, decarbonizing the combustion chamber.
MODELS:
2004 - 2006 (CS) Pacifica 2005 - 2006 (LX) Chrysler 300/Magnum/Charger
NOTE: This bulletin applies to all CS vehicles built after February 1, 2004 (MDH 0201XX) equipped with a 3.5L engine (Sales Code EGN).

NOTE: This bulletin applies to all LX vehicles equipped with a 3.5L engine (sales code EGG).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience occasional engine misfire during certain vehicle operating conditions.

A MIL illumination may also have occurred due to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0300 - Multiple Cylinder Misfire. Various single cylinder misfire DTC's may also be present. If the frequency of misfire is high the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) may place the engine in "Limp-In" mode.

The misfire condition may be caused by one or more engine exhaust valves that are slow to close. Late closure of an exhaust valve may be the result of no valve rotation and the associated build up of carbon on the exhaust valve stem​

·
GO 'NOLES! MCATDT
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting... but my engine was doing this with less than 1000 miles on it. I doubt it had a lot of carbonization at that point. Anyone know if these 3.5 engines can get carbonized with such low mileage. At that point I was driving it pretty easy to break it in nicely, but now... not so much.
:racing:

I thought that gas could have been the issue too, but I've been going to different stations for each tankfull now, and I still have the issue whether it's Chevron, BP, or whatever.

·
LX Newbie
92 Posts
I have had it at the dealer 3 times now and bad gas is always their excuse. I use the same gas everytime from Shell so I know its not bad cause I also use it in my Camaro and Suburban... I usually idle around 700 but when it shakes it dips below 500 for a short time.

·
Absent From Malaise
4,553 Posts
When i first got my SXT it did this. Then after I put my duel exhaust on it never did it again. I dunno if it was because of the new exhaust or not. I have never had it again though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I know exactly what this thread is talking about. I just bought my Mag 3 weeks ago and I immediately started noticing the shacking and shuddering at red lights and stops. I took it in yesterday and explained that I have read these posts and what I am experiencing, and the manager had the balls to tell me "it's just the way the car is" and "don't worry until you see the check engine light come on"....This is when I called him out on it and explained how he needs to provide better advice to his customers and how there can be many problems that need to be addressed long before an engine light comes on. I HATE DEALERSHIPS LIKE THIS!

·
GO 'NOLES! MCATDT
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well... it hasn't happened to me in a while now. I have just under 9000 miles.

A Chevron gas station that I was using actually went out of business, and now thinking back, that place was really run down. So, I wouldn't be surprised if their gas was contaminated with water. Just getting one bad tankfull can take a while to work out of the fuel system.

I can honestly say that this does not happen to me anymore. If you are experiencing it, you may want to buy a bottle of the alcohol based water remover. Dump it in the gas tank and it will help get the water out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.