LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! We rescued an 06 Magnum R/T AWD with a dropped valve seat a couple weeks ago. It's gonna be my 14 yo son's first car. We pulled the head this last weekend, and I would like some opinions on whether or not the piston will need to be replaced. It's got a pretty good stamp as seen in the pic, but it doesn't appear to be cracked at all. I'll clean the high spots off and see how deep it looks then, but I'm gonna say it's all of 30-35 thou deep. I put a caliper on it and I consistently got 0.026 as the lowest point with the square caliper end. If it needs to be replaced, can we do this in the car being that it's AWD, or does it need to come out?

Also, I included a pic of the head, I'm assuming that is now a good practice piece for learning to port 馃槑, and not worth repairing?
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system Nickel

?
Automotive tire Liquid Automotive lighting Fluid Tire

Water Liquid Automotive tire Automotive lighting Fluid

Automotive tire Rim Tread Automotive wheel system Circle

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's all the damage? Are both heads off? I think if that's all -you could get away with it. The AWD pan is very difficult to remove.
Yep, surprising but that's it! She must've shut it down immediately when it didn't sound right cause it doesn't even look like there was that many strikes. No, only pulled the one head, all seats in the other are intact.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it were me, I'd pull the other head too and get the seats fixed so they don't drop out. Otherwise, you may be doing this again. My 2 cents.
I think this is what we're ultimately gonna do. Just wanted to get the bad one off to see if the piston was damaged beyond use so we knew how far we had to go with it.

Praise the Lowered!
Absolute replacement. These pistons have coatings on them, then when compromised, threatens their longevity. If you don鈥檛 replace it, you are on borrowed time. In addition, where is the actual seat? You need to account for EVERY bit of metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
0.030鈥? I鈥檝e ran pistons with that or a little worse. But idk what the deck thickness is on these pistons.
Could have them welded if you know a legit weldor.

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums

1 - 9 of 9 Posts