LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
LX Padiwan
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i was planing on removing the side moldings today but ive heard of paiting bubbling up, i really want to remove them but if paints going to bubble up im not even going to try, has any1 removed them n no paint bubble up, and how did you do it?

·
LX Newbie
12 Posts
i think you realllly should lol:Na_Na_Na_Na:

·
LX Padiwan
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chinny we need a new signature pic for you now that your chargers lowerd, we need to track down da miller lite man lmao.........

Na but i dont want my paint to bubble, bcuz repaint da whole car isnt in my mind right now

·
My other cars has 2 wheels
425 Posts
Charger?????? have someone photochop it first to see how it will look. Thats what I did and I liked it then removed them.:loser: I allways wanted to give someone the finger:wink:
outlawchico151 said:
chinny we need a new signature pic for you now that your chargers lowerd, we need to track down da miller lite man lmao.........

Na but i dont want my paint to bubble, bcuz repaint da whole car isnt in my mind right now

·
She's done heck darnit!
3,384 Posts
outlawchico151 said:
Well i was planing on removing the side moldings today but ive heard of paiting bubbling up, i really want to remove them but if paints going to bubble up im not even going to try, has any1 removed them n no paint bubble up, and how did you do it?
If the paint is bubbled, the paint is bubbled. It's got nothing to do with how you remove the molding. The bubbles form between the adhesive strips. They have nothing to do with the removal process.

If it's warm out, removing will likely be easier. If you live in a humid climate, or your car has existed in a humid climate for any portion of its life, I would recommend against it. So far, warm and humid seems to be the lowest common denominator in bubbled paint.

·
LX Padiwan
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live in miami were its always sweeting hot, so there shouldnt be a problem?

·
She's done heck darnit!
3,384 Posts
outlawchico151 said:
I live in miami were its always sweeting hot, so there shouldnt be a problem?
I personally would recommend against it, unless you plan on repainting your car anyway. It's humid down there. Humidity and/or wet climate seems to be the only thing in common with bubbled paint victims.

DCX will not cover the bubbles under warranty.

·
Speed on... Hell ain't half full
24,673 Posts
I got passed by a ninety-something dodge avenger today (don't laugh, I was waiting for someone to turn) and his side mouldings had partially fallen off. It wasn't hard to tell where they'd been though... looked like somebody ran a belt sander across the door and soaked it in salt water for a couple months. Very, very, very bad corrosion right where the molding had been. I say pull it now while you have a door. I'm considering doing it this weekend.

·
Premium Member
7,643 Posts
58% of the users have stated they removed with no bubbling and no ghosting. only 12% report any ghosting.

I had bubbling and ghosting. Both went away.

·
LX Padiwan
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea when i get back from work tomorrow ima remove them, any suggs on removing them?

·
LX Padiwan
430 Posts
outlawchico151 said:
Yea when i get back from work tomorrow ima remove them, any suggs on removing them?
Wash the car or at least the areas with the molding. Leave the car in the sun for an hour or so to warm up the moldings and door. Start at the front drivers side (seems most folks have problems with the front doors). Instead of removing the molding from the front of the door to the rear, try and remove the molding from the top to the bottom since you have the chrome strips. The chrome tends to wrinkle if you pull from the ends. Besides, if you pull from the top and notice bubbles under the molding you may be able to stick it back on without adding new tape.

If no bubbles under the molding, remove any adhesive. I used Zippo Lighter Fluid (naptha) on a paper towel but others have used Goo Gone and WD-40. Then, wash the area again, use a clay bar, cleaner wax, or whatever method you choose to do for cleaning and apply some wax.

·
I've got wood!
1,615 Posts
Be careful when removing them, I luckily had a dealership do it when my car was getting some cosmetic work done and when they pulled them off there was some ghosting and in a few parts the paint completely came off... Luckily like I said the dealership did it so they got me new moldings and replaced them.... crappy part was I seen the car with the molding off even though the problems it looked so damn sexy.... If your feeling frisky go for it, by try to salvage the trim pieces to the best ability that you can. Just my thoughts

·
get busy living, or....
289 Posts
I removed mine with "almost" no problems. The only problem i was with all the f-ing salt packed in between the 2 strips of tape....made me glad i removed em! You know where it would of started rusting.....but i guess you don't need to worry about salt in Fl.

·
LX Padiwan
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea, I'm remove them in about a hour or so, i'll post some pics up.....

·
LX Padiwan
257 Posts
Almost every car has some moldings all around. Why should the Magnum be rustier than others ? For me, the choice is leaving them on for the protection and the look, even though there is plenty of road salt here in Winter. It wasn't enough, I add some bumper moldings and I like it even more.

·
LX Padiwan
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Removed! No Bubbles AT ALL

BEFORE

AFTER

·
Premium Member
7,643 Posts
Ahhh, much better.

Congrats on the no bubbles.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.