LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Rear Diff is due for drain and fill at 48K, I have closer to 50K so time to git "R done!
The Dealer wants $149.00+ for this service. Is this insane, or what??
They say they must open it up, replace the seal, etc.
Sounds like a 20 minute job, how about some inprut....FNKYCHKN??

BTW, the Chicken is due for LXOM soon, we all get great inside info from him!!

·
Builders of the 500rwhp 426's
5,341 Posts
go see what Mobil 1 75/140 costs.....You'll be shocked...........

I bet its $10+ a qrt. maybe 2 qrts to 2.5 per rear.

.5 labor @ 75$ per hr

gasket maybe $15?

So, yeah, its a little high.

Find out EXACTLY what they use and see if a local shop will do it for a reasonable price IMHO. I bet you can get it for under $100 and closer to $80.

·
juzpazzinthru
449 Posts
8R,
Can't believe your at 50k already! Major miles. Price seems a little high I agree. I think you should get your own gasket and premium syn and just doit. Hope to see you in Sept. or at least Oct MOFO M/G

·
LX Guru
4,322 Posts
I cant rememebr the exact prices, bt when I had the Ram I saved $75 doing it my self. What sucked was that there was no gasket, it was sealed by blue RTV. I swore if I ever had to do it again, I would make a gasket for it.

·
Mopar or no car
1,353 Posts
You don't even need to remove the cover. There's a pump made for this purpose ( should be about $20 ) that look like a grease gun. All you have to do is remove the inspection plug on the side or rear of the pumpkin, put the pump's hose in the hole and drain the fluid. To refill, some gear oil bottles are made so you can fill right with it otherwise use the pump to fill. Reinstal the plug and voila!! you're done.

·
juzpazzinthru
449 Posts
Who snaked Magnum8rs sways?

·
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
xcelr8r said:
Who snaked Magnum8rs sways?
Funny!
I have put that one behind me after having some fun with it (after I was pissed)
Mr. fnkychkn will chime in soon, I really don't think it's grease back there, but Mopar only diff fluid that maintains my 7/70 and I think I got 100K extened powertrain, I'll check.
This R/T has never been on the track and never will, driven by a Granny at all times..,,,,No mods, never driven hard at all....

·
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oldtimer said:
The rear diff has a drain plug and fill plug, very easy to service.
Then why does the Dealer want $150.00????

·
Inspired Performance
6,332 Posts
MAGNUM8R said:
Then why does the Dealer want $150.00????
Why do we have trannys only the dealer can service?! (at $175.00 a pop)

·
My maggie did me proud
647 Posts
I would almost say the price is worth it since diff. fluid smells like arse and if you get it on you the stink stays for a day or so

·
She's done heck darnit!
3,384 Posts
Hey MAGNUM8R if you do this, can you take some pics along the way for us morans who will be creeping in to the same mileage range soon? I'm at 38k now... won't be too long and I'll have to do this as well.

·
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
7thS0N said:
Hey MAGNUM8R if you do this, can you take some pics along the way for us morans who will be creeping in to the same mileage range soon? I'm at 38k now... won't be too long and I'll have to do this as well.
If you tell me how to do this this... any service done there is behind the "Employees OnlY" sign.
I may opt to take it a more freindly Dealer that will at least let me see it from afar. They have been very good with tiny issues on my Wife's Caliber!!
If someone is working on my R/T I really don't want it to be secret!!
Nothing makes me more pissed in the whole World, they make it disappear, the some Idiot is pawing on my car and who knows what!!!!

·
LX Guru
4,322 Posts
Here is the procedure from the maint manual, too lazy to figure out which is which REAR AXLE - 210RII and REAR AXLE - 198RII
$20 at the most for the lube (just guessing), An hour at the most to let it dran and fill. $150 yeah its a rip off. Just keep your receipt!!

STANDARD PROCEDURE - FLUID DRAIN AND FILL​
REAR AXLE - 198RII

Note: The fluid required for use in this axle is Mopar Synthetic Gear and Axle Lubricant 75W-140.​
1. Drive the vehicle until the differential lubricant is at the normal operating temperature.
2. With vehicle in neutral, position and raise vehicle on hoist.​
3. Remove rear axle drain plug and drain lubricant completely from the axle.
4. Install drain plug and tighten to 60 N·m (44 ft lbs).
5. Remove fill plug (1) and fill rear axle with 1.4 L (1.5qts.) Mopar Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant 75W-140.
6. Install fill plug and tighten to 60 N·m (44 ft lbs).​

STANDARD PROCEDURE - FLUID DRAIN AND FILL
REAR AXLE - 210RII​

Note: The fluid required for use in this axle is Mopar Synthetic Gear and Axle Lubricant 75W-140.
1. Drive the vehicle until the differential lubricant is at the normal operating temperature.

2. With vehicle in neutral, position and raise vehicle on hoist.
3. Remove rear axle drain plug (1) and drain lubricant completely from the axle.
4. Install drain plug and tighten to 50 N·m (37 ft lbs).
5. Remove fill plug (1) and fill rear axle with 1.6 L (1.7qts.) Mopar Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant 75W-140.​
6. Install fill plug and tighten to 50 N·m (37 ft lbs).

·
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great, right from the chkn's mouth!!
Thanks for the help everyone, I'm calling the Dealer we bought my Wife's Caliber from this morning!!
I'll see if they are less greedy!

·
She's done heck darnit!
3,384 Posts
MAGNUM8R said:
If you tell me how to do this this... any service done there is behind the "Employees OnlY" sign.
I may opt to take it a more freindly Dealer that will at least let me see it from afar. They have been very good with tiny issues on my Wife's Caliber!!
If someone is working on my R/T I really don't want it to be secret!!
Nothing makes me more pissed in the whole World, they make it disappear, the some Idiot is pawing on my car and who knows what!!!!
I meant if you did it yourself. I'd love to get some spy cams into my dealer though... :grin:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.