LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
10,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was thinking about painting my Magnum yellow "yes yellow" But then I was thinking about leaving the door jams black for now. How much would a total paint job cost to change from black to yellow??

Thanks!

· Premium Member
14,763 Posts
I recently had my Karmann-Ghia painted Black on top of the black it was already, using the same type of paint, and very little prep work, and it cost $3500. That was with all the body stuff already off, so there was minimal masking or disassembly needing to be done.

To change colors on just the outside, dropping the car off as-is, I think you'd be looking at more than that... there's a fair bit of prepwork in simply getting the old paint ready to accept the new, and masking off the other areas.

To do it right, painting the doorjambs and trunk, inside the hood and engine compartment, etc... I can only imagine... that's a LOT more work.

But folks have done it so maybe I should shaddap and let them chime in.

Rob AGD's Dad owns a body shop, come to think of it, so maybe shoot him a PM.

But I'd love to see a Yellow Magnum...

· Registered
7,275 Posts
leaving the door jams and under the hood alone, you can git er done for as little as 2k. I assume the back wondows will be masked off, not removed? This'd be a wet sanding, masking, spray and a buff. I doubt you could get it done for less than 2 grand.
What if ya left the top and hood black? This would help forgive the door jams and under the hood would not be questioned. No need to remove any winders either. I bet this could be done for less, even clearing over the paint seam.

· Registered
1,849 Posts
I have to agree with Grinner! The yellow and leaving the hood and top of the car black would look nice. I think the black should be a flat black. I have given some thought to having mine painted yellow with black like the SuperBee. I think the flat black on vipor's scoop section would look awsome.

· Speed on... Hell ain't half full
24,689 Posts
To do the whole car sans jambs and underhood will probably run you $4000+ if you want clear over the top (and you do!). IMHO, spend another $2k and at least get all the jambs and other visible areas done... being black to start, you can leave the underhood and it won't look too bad.

· Tipmaster G
6,996 Posts
Think about how you will feel every time you open the door to get in and see black.

The idea of a "custom" paint job in the factory colour is to let people think that it came that way from the factory.

I think down the road that you will regret not doing the jams.

Do it right and do it once!

Can you imagine the expence to do the jams say six months down the road?

The last thing you want at a show, or cruise nite, or in a parking lot as you get out is to hear"look at that the guy didnt even paint inside the doors"

What will the hatch look like if left black on the inside?

Its all in the details that sets a good car apart from a great car!

IMO a black only hood looks unfinished, if you do that ,leave the tops of the fenders as well and drop the black to go around the grill as well as up the windshield pillers.

look at an aar cuda for example compared to a 69 road runner with a lift off black hood .

Which one looks more complete?

Make syre you fix the problem that chrysler didn't clear everything including under the hood and jams.

You won,t be sorry!

Opinions stated are not ness. anyones but mine!

· SLOWCAR
151 Posts
At my shop we charge around $10-13k for a complete color change........jambs included.

· Premium Member
10,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Didn't mean to start a war!

Reason why I was going to do a two tone down the road.

But for a complete paint job including jams, under hood Etc.. would be around 4 - 7K about you think

· LX Newbie
565 Posts
A guy at my work got his mercedes suv painted mercedes red. Cost him 2500 total, including all the jams and small dent repairs. The guy does it on the side in his garage.

Look into votech classes at a hs. They usually only charge for materials, cuz its a way for them to learn.

I'm considering this, cuz the girl that's gunna do mine is rated #1 female in votech across the US

· LX Newbie
32 Posts
Wow. I didn't know that you guys pay so much to paint your cars. Materials will run you lees that $500 (base coat/clear coar). You basically paying the extra money for labor.

I do not see why you can't get the job done less than 2k.

I think it will look good but you'll need to pinstripe a different color, like maybe a purple over the edge where the 2 colors meet. The it will look like you meant to do it as compared to looking like you didn't have enough paint to do the complete job.

The only problem you might have is that you will feel the edge of where the black meets the yellow. Most peaple who have a 2 tone setup will spray the colors then clear over the entire thing. You can do that on your car, but if they need to tape the door jams to clear over the black also, then they might as well paint it yellow too.

Hope this helps!

· AK RT C-LEG DAVAF
2,977 Posts
So I was thinking about painting my Magnum yellow "yes yellow" But then I was thinking about leaving the door jams black for now. How much would a total paint job cost to change from black to yellow??

Thanks!
I know a shop that will paint your car, name your price and the job you will get. Now your not one of those guys that wants the million dollar paint job at , better get maaco prices???? hahahah:pepper: :banana:

· Lover of electricity
554 Posts
I worked for a body shop many moons ago. Expect to pay about 5 grand for a quality top spray w/clear. Full monty? At least 10 grand, but probably closer to 13 considering all the prep labor required (basically a total vehicle tear down) for a full repaint.
Oh, and plan on being w/out your car for 6 to 8 weeks. Also understand that if you decide to sell the car, you only recap maybe 10% of your investment. Sad but true.

· Registered
16 Posts
I recently had my Karmann-Ghia painted Black on top of the black it was already, using the same type of paint, and very little prep work, and it cost $3500. That was with all the body stuff already off, so there was minimal masking or disassembly needing to be done.

To change colors on just the outside, dropping the car off as-is, I think you'd be looking at more than that... there's a fair bit of prepwork in simply getting the old paint ready to accept the new, and masking off the other areas.

To do it right, painting the doorjambs and trunk, inside the hood and engine compartment, etc... I can only imagine... that's a LOT more work.

But folks have done it so maybe I should shaddap and let them chime in.

Rob AGD's Dad owns a body shop with lots of auto paint colors, come to think of it, so maybe shoot him a PM.

But I'd love to see a Yellow Magnum...
A friend is looking at a 1997 Turbo. He knows the buyer well. The car has had some paint work done on it. The front spoler was painted to get rid of some rock chips, as well as the left fender, rock chips also. The car is silver so they had to blend the fender. It was done by a very professional shop. Resale value? If he tells people about the paint or a dealer if he trades it, can he expect to get "dinged" for having a car that was repainted in some areas? He is glad the owner did it, for he would not want the car with rock chips on it, but I am concerend people will freak out when he trys to sell it or trades it in. Comments.

· Super Moderator
2017 Charger Scat Pack. Procharged 426. 850ish on pump 93
5,462 Posts
A friend is looking at a 1997 Turbo. He knows the buyer well. The car has had some paint work done on it. The front spoler was painted to get rid of some rock chips, as well as the left fender, rock chips also. The car is silver so they had to blend the fender. It was done by a very professional shop. Resale value? If he tells people about the paint or a dealer if he trades it, can he expect to get "dinged" for having a car that was repainted in some areas? He is glad the owner did it, for he would not want the car with rock chips on it, but I am concerend people will freak out when he trys to sell it or trades it in. Comments.
Well, considering the thread has been dead since 2007 (which may be a record for oldest thread revival)...

1997 Turbo what? I don't think anyone buying a 1997 anything cares what's been repainted or not.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts