LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
From the other site
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, there is lots of talent here, I am sure of that. (Project Morpheous, the people at SC and so on..)

SOOOOOOOOO who is going to take-on the annoying Navigation unit issue of not being able to access it while driving???:racing:
(makes the wife nuts while a passenger)

I am sure that someone with sincere effort would be rewarded.
I for one would donate $ to help with startup/funding :not_worth

Anyone???

·
It's been the Worst Day Since Yesterday
15,166 Posts
GoldNnasty said:
Okay, there is lots of talent here, I am sure of that. (Project Morpheous, the people at SC and so on..)

SOOOOOOOOO who is going to take-on the annoying Navigation unit issue of not being able to access it while driving???:racing:

Anyone???
I'll do it if someone can loan me a cable and software... also see if I can get rid of that annoying start up screen, or at the very least force it to timeout automatically and go into NAV mode instead of having to press Enter, then Nav button.

·
Speed on... Hell ain't half full
24,673 Posts
The issue that keeps coming up with this is that the unit initializes off of the dvd when it starts up... ever notice the "please wait, loading..." message if you switch to nav. right away? (that may not be the exact wording, but it's at the bottom of the 'nag' screen... it then turns into the "press enter to accept". Sooooo, if you hack a dvd and defeat the screen, the chances are good that when the disc is upgraded you'll have to start over. Granted, it might be easier the second time around... and the third... and the fourth... but do you really wanna keep doing it?

·
LX Padiwan
1,156 Posts
On another thread, someone posted a " REJ " Nav unit that does not have the 'motion sensor'? This is the first I heard of that unit/part number? The poster (Flexion) was in Switzerland.

REC is the model type of your navigation unit.
mine is REJ, without in-motion restrictions and stuff.
and the 6disk player w/o nav is REF

·
Aliens Ate My Babysitter
559 Posts
yep, a solution without modifying the nav firmware would be better. too much work every time they release a new DVD..

maybe by injection of some magic packets via canbus.. or if someone finds out how to access the hidden diag/debug menu in our nav.. maybe there's an option to change the behavior without changing the firmware.

if someone still wants to try to modify the firmware and has the appropriate equipment (sh4 decompiler, sh4 emulator.. and a few spare REC units to put into "dead brick mode", time, etc..), here are some interesting symbol names to start with:

[[email protected] root]# nm MAIN.APN | grep Disclaimer
07953c1c T _Book_handleInitialDisclaimerPageTransfer
0795335c T _BOOK_IsDisclaimerOKWasPressed
0792937c T _Book_isTripConfirmFromDisclaimer
0794181c T _Book_setDisclaimerOKWasPressed
07929388 T _Book_setTripConfirmFromDisclaimer
0795f300 T _BPC_getDisclaimerOKInfo
0795eb04 T _BPC_gotoDisclaimer
0795f3b4 T _BPC_resetDisclaimerOKInfo
0795f30c T _BPC_setDisclaimerOKInfo
0795f4f8 T _BPC_setModeToDisclaimer
07920584 T _ChangeToDisclaimer
07961680 t _gotoDisclaimerPage
07941918 t _gotoDisclaimerPage_by_DVD_Insert
07953f94 T _hideOKofDisclaimerScreen
00e730bc D _PageCellSetup_Language_Disclaimer_component
00cf66b4 B _REC_Disclaimer_strings
00f90988 d _REC_Disclaimer_strings_dutch
00e61c48 d _REC_Disclaimer_strings_english
00e5e2bc d _REC_Disclaimer_strings_french
00f941b4 d _REC_Disclaimer_strings_german
00f97f14 d _REC_Disclaimer_strings_italian
00f9b9fc d _REC_Disclaimer_strings_portuguese
00e65bbc d _REC_Disclaimer_strings_spanish
00e7311c D _Setup_Language_Disclaimer
00e730b0 d _Setup_Language_Disclaimer_widget_array

and for the in motion stuff, watch out for those symbols:

07a1f190 <_MOP_GetIsInMotion>:
07a1f1f8 <_MOP_GetIsInMotionSetting>:

I'm glad I dont have the in-motion restriction in my euro nav :banana:

good luck

·
24,673 Posts
the real question is, is it the euro nav or the euro nav dvd that makes all the difference? I've also talked to a few EE's about it and apparently there's such a thing as a PIC controller, that can be programmed to snuff out certain bits of a CAN signal and replace them with certain other bits. They were convinced they could get one to overwrite the true vehicle speed with some constant lower than 5mph and the nav would never babysit you again. Problem is they need a donor REC and funds for the PIC controller, and time, which I'm not sure they have. Moral of the story though, if somebody was up on this stuff, it could probably be turned into a $250 add-on mod. I am not that somebody though.

·
Aliens Ate My Babysitter
559 Posts
dont know if the nav still works (route calculation..) if the speed input is manipulated. I think the nav uses both GPS data and speed via canbus to calculate routing. e.g. when driving through tunnels w/o GPS reception

the software (ELF structure) on the euro DVD is not the same as in the US version. looks like a different build from similar source, offsets are completely different. but GUI and symbol names are identical afaik.

I dont know if there 's a hardware difference, both units seem to have the same features and GUI.
reading the euro REJ DVD in a REC has reportedly failed. I assume the DVD was rejected because the nav HW code does not match. so, swapping the eu/us software version does not help, and comparing bitwise is also not possible.

btw, I just searched the open business club community if there's someone from alpine electronics and I found an engineer from alpine navigation systems in stuttgart, germany. I will try to contact him and see if I can get in contact with one of the techies.

·
Premium Member
26,921 Posts
Once upon a time, someone was working on an audio input and apparently included the bypass of the nag screen. That project seems to have fallen in to the cobwebs, but it was said it was prototyped and running.

I can't help but wonder if it was killed by someone saying the lawyers would get him if an accident happened and it was bypassed...

·
15,166 Posts
jaak said:
Once upon a time, someone was working on an audio input and apparently included the bypass of the nag screen. That project seems to have fallen in to the cobwebs, but it was said it was prototyped and running.

I can't help but wonder if it was killed by someone saying the lawyers would get him if an accident happened and it was bypassed...
yes I know that someone, and he skirted the question when I presented it to him and asked him how to do it....

·
LX Newbie
73 Posts
GoldNnasty said:

Anyone???
I have asked this same question on a couple forums, including this one. So far the answers have been that everyone agrees but there doesn't seem to be a solution. I do not have the know-how to help generate the solution, but I would too be very willing to donate if required.

(and possibly a hug to the person who finds the solution, from the nutty passenger wives)
:wink:

·
24,673 Posts
mr. incredible - tell that person I'll pay them $250 and sign a waiver 10 pages long.

·
Premium Member
26,921 Posts
Yeah, or I could come up with it, because I'm Canadian and couldn't care less what American lawyers think. Just get him to PM me... LOL!

·
Where is my 707?
1,311 Posts
jaak said:

I can provide some info on this one..... as I have one of the original prototypes!
The "bypass" was not actually a bypass...... all it does is send a signal over the can emulating the driver pressing the "enter" and "nav" buttons...... Just as you do to get past the nag screen to the map.

--Bo

·
15,166 Posts
Bo said:
I can provide some info on this one..... as I have one of the original prototypes!
The "bypass" was not actually a bypass...... all it does is send a signal over the can emulating the driver pressing the "enter" and "nav" buttons...... Just as you do to get past the nag screen to the map.

--Bo
Yes I am aware of that, see my first post.. The question is... Will someone loan me the cable and software required to do it??????????

·
LX Newbie
73 Posts
Mr. iNCREDIBLE said:
Yes I am aware of that, see my first post.. The question is... Will someone loan me the cable and software required to do it??????????
I do not know what these items are, but I would if I did.

Someone pony up, I'll pay the shipping!!!
bv

·
Premium Member
16,511 Posts
I just want the voice in mine to have a sweet southern drawl,
Like an educated freakie Daisy Duke...
Yeah..
Throw in some random sounds like a giggle or a "Why, Ah do declayuh!" when you hit the loud peal with a vengeance!

·
05 Cool Vanilla Magnum RT
4,039 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier for someone to reverse engineer the DVD to see if it can be modified on the DVD to not show that screen??

Dunno, just a thought.

·
LX Newbie
73 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Any takers on the cable/software loan? Is it obvious what these are? Just asking because it isn't to me and maybe spelling it out would produce what you need....

·
Charger SRT8
202 Posts
CHEMIGO said:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Any takers on the cable/software loan? Is it obvious what these are? Just asking because it isn't to me and maybe spelling it out would produce what you need....
Faking the "enter" messages over the canbus wouldn't be very difficult at all. For interface and cable options you could take a look at the forums on http://www.canhack.org. There are also a lot of other options for writing data onto the canbus through the ODB2 jack under the steering wheel.

Problem with that is all it does for you is get around the need to hit the enter key at startup. And you'd have to right up some kind of device to it every time you start.

For the real "disable the in-motion crap" it really looks like hacking the software is required. I'm annoyed with it enough that I'm going to start playing with it, but it's going to require decompiling and hashing through the code.

1 - 20 of 199 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.