1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
E skeud teñval tourioù gell
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
I know where Hoffa is...
6,616 Posts
Thats what happens when you let GM design an off road vehicle - they use the cheapest parts they can find and charge you an arm and a leg to replace them...

BTW, when I had my '01 Ram, I pulled a few H2's out of the mud AFTER they laughed at me for off roading my non lifted Dodge...

·
Premium Member
26,921 Posts
I got laughed at for offroading a rental Lumina off an unpaved section Muhulland drive about 15 years back...

Some guy looked down at me from his jacked up Ford Pickup and said "I wouldn't be taking that in there, if I was you..." I smiled, thanked him and then said "Good thing you're not me!" then floored it.

The rental return guy was trying to understand why the car had mud on it in sunny dry paved SoCal...

So the moral of the story? If you need to go offroading, get a Lumina, not a Hummer.

Reactions: 10K

·
I'll be back...someday
3,642 Posts
if the H2 is an offroad vehicle than my v6 magnum is a sports car. the h2 is an insult to the real hummer(or h1 as it is now called). IMHO

·
I-495 Hater
5,026 Posts
At the end of 2000, I was on my way out of the military, I knew I was going to have a nice paying gig lined up when I finally did start work after terminal leave, I had been planning on buying the H2 as my first port military ride.....thought all the hype and concept pics made the H2 was going to be a monster, then I saw this video and a pic of a H2 that ran head on with a dodge ram....and man, the H2 did not fare well and the Ram looked like it hit a wall, but you could still tell the Ram was a Ram, the H2 looked like it didn't enter orbit well and came a freakin' part. The H2 is a glorified Suburban.....H3 might be better thought out, but it's too small for my tastes. The OG hummer is the shizz....too bad it's in the single digits on gas mileage on the highway with a good wind behind it rolling down a slight slope. But as far as capabilities, while in the military, I tested it's off road capabilities to it's limit....that is a fun ride :rock:

·
Premium Member
26,921 Posts
ASU_Magnum said:
if the H2 is an offroad vehicle than my v6 magnum is a sports car. the h2 is an insult to the real hummer(or h1 as it is now called). IMHO
Your V6 Magnum does better on a racetrack than the fake Hummer H2 does off road!

·
High Power Junkie
16,628 Posts
To be perfectly fair, I've busted right in half the rear axel of a those old Ram Chargers; the big offroad suburban competitors? Looked something like this:

Dodge said it was a defect and covered the cost. But damn I was PISSED. Up on a mountain somewhere, rear end sitting on a river rock just waiting for the Ranger to come by in his Blazer and bail me out...

·
Premium Member
26,921 Posts
Let's face it, the H2 is a poser truck created to cash in on the real Hummer's success and make GM a ton of cash. It was never engineered as a real off road vehicle, just repackaged crap they already had.

I was disgusted with GM when they put that thing out. But they raked in a ton of cash from people that couldn't afford the real Hummer.

·
LX Padiwan
3,697 Posts
Do YOU H2?

ASU_Magnum said:
Unless you've had one or taken one off road be carefull what you say.Of all the 4wheel drive vehicles I've owned (5) in the last 20 years my H2 was a beast off road!

Anyone can break anything at any time....common sense will see you through.

Video is kinda funny!

·
345 Go!
1,160 Posts
CoolVanilla said:
To be perfectly fair, I've busted right in half the rear axel of a those old Ram Chargers; the big offroad suburban competitors? Looked something like this:

Dodge said it was a defect and covered the cost. But damn I was PISSED. Up on a mountain somewhere, rear end sitting on a river rock just waiting for the Ranger to come by in his Blazer and bail me out...
Nilla - I had a 89 Ramcharger for most of the 90's - I really liked that ride - it was red and my brother teases me that my new Inferno Red Magnum is the closest thing to a new DODGE Ramcharger that they make... and that I secretly yearn for a new ramcharger...

He may be right... but I'm not giving up my Maggie! EDIT! Apologies for threadjacking!

·
most service trips on an LX
448 Posts
i was coming DOWN a creek bed with my Grand Cherokee and a buddies Grand CHerokee 5.9 and we saw the same results - on a civilian H1 - we had passed the same spot on the way up. Funniest thing i had ever seen!

345Hemi

·
I-495 Hater
5,026 Posts
Do they just make the civiliar H1 out of crappier materials or something? I've never seen the suspension on a H1 break, on 4 different continents and very hardy terrain. I've seen engines overheat, I've seen one rolled by somebody with an overzealous belief that these things can't be flipped (wasn't me! but I knew the guy). And I've seen one launched over a hill that ended up being a full on endo that mashed the front end, now that was cool to watch. But actually broke suspension on the trail? That would be a first for me to hear of or see :sad:

·
E skeud teñval tourioù gell
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BMWDON said:
Do they just make the civiliar H1 out of crappier materials or something? I've never seen the suspension on a H1 break, on 4 different continents and very hardy terrain. I've seen engines overheat, I've seen one rolled by somebody with an overzealous belief that these things can't be flipped (wasn't me! but I knew the guy). And I've seen one launched over a hill that ended up being a full on endo that mashed the front end, now that was cool to watch. But actually broke suspension on the trail? That would be a first for me to hear of or see :sad:
I saw a video of one where it went over a landmine (or some sort of IED). The soldiers got out, ears ringing, changed the tire, and were on their merry way.

·
I-495 Hater
5,026 Posts
Not to mention the actual info don't start until about halfway through the vid!! But the part at the end was pretty cool....ran over the thieves in his H1 :i2:

These new icons are pretty neat

·
LX Newbie
52 Posts
Thats just an example of the H2s dual independent front steering. Now GM just has to figure out how to fit two steering wheels on that thing and they're set!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.