LX Forums Forum banner

Does your 5.7 without stock resonators have any drone??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, this is only for those 5.7 folks that have removed their stock rear resonators, either to replace with a complete cat-back system (i.e. Corsa, Magnaflow, Borla, etc.) or just the resonators (i.e. Blastin Bob's tips, glasspacks, etc.).

Do you now have drone when the MDS kicks in to 4-cyl mode??

I'll be the first - NONE at all with my CORSA'S!!

·
No longer sporting dual R/T's!
9,301 Posts
Guess I get to be second then, NO drone at all with my Magnaflows (not the catback) using the Borla crosspipe and no resonators it's very very quiet, unless I want it not to be.

Straight pipes and borla 112 resonators now, /that/ is a different animal - awesome sounding, drone like a bear. - Would not pass the wife test...

Mike

·
Mopar Rules
4,551 Posts
Never notice the drone while driving around town, but on the interstate it is somewhat distracting.
Not loud enough in town.
Too loud on interstate.
I just can't be pleased.

·
Mr. White Chocolate P. Rock
1,458 Posts
Mine is fine, can just hear the exhaust in cruise at legal highway speeds if the radio is off, I have a MDS light so I know when it is on and when not.

No resonators, just straight pipes (bent of course) and chrome oval tips..

·
now on my 3rd modern mopar, a Jeep SRT8
603 Posts
Had too much drone with removing the resonators....now have corsa and loving it!

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I cut off my reso's about 1 month ago. At first it didnt bother me but the other day I had a headache and the drone put me over the edge. Around town it isnt bad but on the highway it now bothers me. I will be putting on some resonators of some sort but not the factory ones. I'm thinking about going with flowmaster DF50's and thier reso's. Anyone know the sound/drone of that set-up compared to stock w/out the reso?

·
05 Cool Vanilla Magnum RT
4,039 Posts
pmpn8ez said:
Had too much drone with removing the resonators....now have corsa and loving it!
Wow, 7th son has the Corsa system and it is LOUD! I could hear the drone when following him on the highway! Wonder if they are different models or something?? He said there is NO WAY he can use Uconnect on the highway, cause it's so loud.

Maybe I'm confusing 'drone' with 'loud'??

·
LX Padiwan
430 Posts
I have had two sets of Blastin Bob's pipes on my Magnum. With the 11dB pipes, I could not hear when the MDS kicked in but I could feel the floor and gas pedal vibrate in the 1500-2000 rpm range. Those pipes made my feet tickle! They sounded nice but did not pass the wife test.

I now have a set of Blastin' Bob's 5dB pipes on the car. I still can't hear any drone when MDS kicks in but there is still plenty of noise in the 1500-2000rpm range, just not enough to vibrate the floor. These passed the wife test :wink:

I have never heard MDS drone in my car. Either my ears are not "trained" to hear it, I always have the radio up too loud, or my car never enters into MDS mode. There is plenty of drone in the 1500-2000 rpm range but no noticeable MDS drone.

I think it may help if folks describe the type of car they are driving. The way I understand it the Magnums and Daytona Chargers are more "drone prone" than the others. I assume this is due to the interior volume of the Magnum and the less restrictive suitcase muffler on the Daytona Chargers.

·
Hemi Panzer
2,050 Posts
I just installed the Borla 112 and i only get drone around 2200 rpm in MDS mode. If im cruising the highway at 70-75 then i get it, but once i hit 80+ no more drone, in fact its quieter than stock at that speed with MDS on.

I had an initial problem with the passenger side that the clamps werent tightened and it was freaking loud as hell. So i bashed the pipes down toward the engine with a rubber mallet, tightened the clamps and poof, no more loudness and less drone.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Todd RT said:
Wow, 7th son has the Corsa system and it is LOUD! I could hear the drone when following him on the highway! Wonder if they are different models or something?? He said there is NO WAY he can use Uconnect on the highway, cause it's so loud.

Maybe I'm confusing 'drone' with 'loud'??
I've had friends follow me and said it sounded completely wicked at WOT. I have headers and the Airaid CAI so I hear it a lot more at WOT than most. The DRONE we're referring is the deepening of the pitch when the car drops into MDS 4-cyl mode.

·
fool in search of wisdom
5,863 Posts
I lasted about a week when I chopped the resonators off my R&T exhaust. The first long trip gave me a headache, enough to come back and order the Borla 112's immediately! I think the non R&T is less prone to it, as some say they don't have drone. I definitely had unmistakeable drone, that was intolerable. The 112's were too quiet at first, but broke in nicely, and have a nice WOT tone, without any killer drone. Click links below to hear....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.