LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if I should have piston to valve clearance with my stock pistons with a big Hughes engines hydraulic roller for my 2004 n/a stock bottom end 5.7 . I’m running the ‘09 and up eagle heads with the 2.05 intake valve diameter with a .075 Cometic MLS gasket . The cam specs will be 246 int. , 250 exh. Duration at .050, .611 int. .622 exh. Lift, and a 110 or 109 lobe seperation angle not decided yet. Would I have to flycut the pistons to clear the valves? Thanks for your time.

· Registered
3,495 Posts
Is the engien still together? Put a light tester spring in the head and check ptv at tdc.
Or clay the top of the piston the cam you have already to check ptv then see what you can work with.
Valve timing events is where everything will get complicated.
What rpm are you planning?

· Registered
1,198 Posts
Also and you may be able to get away and maybe I OVER DO IT by to get tru ptv. You need to torque the head which means trashing a gasket. Unless you feel comfortable either reusing or a BEST GUESS

When I did mine I got 2 set of gaskets on to trash one for final install
I know it sucks but....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Always Modding
227 Posts
Also and you may be able to get away and maybe I OVER DO IT by to get tru ptv. You need to torque the head which means trashing a gasket. Unless you feel comfortable either reusing or a BEST GUESS

When I did mine I got 2 set of gaskets on to trash one for final install
I know it sucks but....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cometic gaskets are reusable

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The engine is apart getting machined, and it’s going to make power up past 7000 rpm although I don’t plan to spin it that high because of the stock cast components. And I know I need the cam for true piston to valve, but I thought maybe someone has had similar setup without problems.

· Registered
3,495 Posts
I would be cautious of spinning it that high with everything stock. Any reason not getting a new assembly? Seems like you are doing a good bit of work already. Annnnd I'm gettign a feeling that you will want to turn the power up pretty soon.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My brother works at a machine shop so we’re able to do most of this machine work for free so we’re trying to build a budget race hemi, plus we want to try to set N/A some records with a stock bottom end in my 68 Dart.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.