LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
ACLX Prez
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, jumping over from chargerforums to ask the experts a question. I currently have a overhead console with a sunroof switch. I want to replace it with one that has home link in it. My question is, can I simply pull and replace and have home link functions or is there more to the home link than what is in the console and is there more to the wiring needed than what I currently have? Also, I would like to eventually get a replacement uconnect mirror. If I am understand it correctly, the power will be supplied via the harness I will have to purchase and install. If anyone would like to verify that, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for any help you can provide...

·
LX Padiwan
1,156 Posts
I have an SXT that did not have the 'homelink' and I attempted to simply install (got overhead console from RT w/ homelink). It did not work and not only do you need a wire harness, it most likely connects to the CANBUS computer.

If you find anything out, please let me know. I believe funkychicken answered my question earlier about this and said he believed if someone had the 'compass' it could/might work!?!

·
Premium Member
26,921 Posts
The Homelink buttons are part of the Electronic Overhead Module which talks to the FCM through CAN, as well as displaying the status of Homelink transmitting on the EVIC. When you add a module, the vehicle has to be told it's OK for that module to be in the system, before it will work with it (often). I don't specifically know on the Homelink if this is the case, but it's likely.

Fnky's on his way back home, so at least another 4 hours before he can get online...

·
What'd I miss?
23,444 Posts
the EOM (electronic overhead module) is responsible for HOMELINK universal transmitter functions. EOM receives fused B+ (IOD) and fused accessory delay relay output, a ground and CAN-B bus. although the universal transmitter is a standalone system, i beleive it may need to be enabled by vehicle build configuration over CAN-B bus from the FCM.

·
Premium Member
26,921 Posts
Ah, so since it's standalone, like many of the other components, it may work, but not display on the EVIC and it will generate non-critical error codes by not being recognised.

It's amazing what you learn here...

·
ACLX Prez
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fnkychkn said:
the EOM (electronic overhead module) is responsible for HOMELINK universal transmitter functions. EOM receives fused B+ (IOD) and fused accessory delay relay output, a ground and CAN-B bus. although the universal transmitter is a standalone system, i beleive it may need to be enabled by vehicle build configuration over CAN-B bus from the FCM.
Ok, you lost the dumb guy on that one. I do not have EVIC and just want to swap my console out for one with home link, but if I was able to follow at all, I are not smart nuf to do this......well maybe. I just need a little lower tech explanation if it is possible and what and where to do.

Thanks for the reply on this, I do appreciate it!:not_worth

·
Premium Member
26,921 Posts
You have to hook up 5 wires. If they're not up there, you need to go look for them behind the A pillar on the passenger side. Maybe it's easier to look behind the A pillar first. Take it off, take a picture of the connector and try to make it so all, or at least most, of the wires can be seen in the picture, then post it.

·
LX Newbie
2,905 Posts
You have to hook up 5 wires. If they're not up there, you need to go look for them behind the A pillar on the passenger side. Maybe it's easier to look behind the A pillar first. Take it off, take a picture of the connector and try to make it so all, or at least most, of the wires can be seen in the picture, then post it.
here is a picture of the connector at the module.

·
It's been the Worst Day Since Yesterday
15,166 Posts
this is the second thread on this... my 2 cents, I have helped two LX owners (one Charger and one Maggie) do this "MOD" all you need is power and ground to the unit unless you want it to display on EVIC....

The CAN system only needs to be told it is there if you have and want EVIC functions, otherwise it works just fine as a stand alone unit....

·
Racer-X
8 Posts
Successful Homelink Mod

I don't get on these forums too much, but since I was looking to do this mod myself, I was directed back here by some google searches..... I have just completed a successful Homelink overhead console mod in my '06 Charger SXT. I did pull the A-pillar cover and connect all five wires to their respective colors at the connector, near the dash. I actually pulled an ethernet cable through to extend from the pigtail down to that (C204) connector. A Dodge service friend of mine said it's possible to order the factory harness that includes the homelink plug, but it is very tedious to install since it integrates the sunroof controls, etc, if you have that. It IS a good idea to hook up the two CAN bus wires (orange and white/orange) just so the computer never spits out any unnecessary, even noncritical errors. Nothing will display or light up if you don't have EVIC, but the unit does work perfectly. Just time the programming sequences..... About 30 seconds to clear all holding buttons 1 and 3. Then programming each button again by holding transmitter and homelink button for about 12-15 seconds. Mine is working fine even with a Sears rolling code door and newer digital LiftMaster opener at my business. BTW... I might consider be working on a simple LED chip light mod that reads the voltage change from the CAN output wires (we measured that during operation) so in a couple/three months we might be able to post or sell a real simple kit that lets you install an indicator light up in the panel. You would simply drill a 1/8" hole in the console face next to the buttons and press fit the LED in. It's wires would just need to be spliced to the CAN wires up there. I'll post again whenever I get around to that, but I am very busy starting up the business these days. I hope this helps everyone!!!!!!!!! Later............Racer-X

·
Leveil24
2,737 Posts
can somebody walk me through this?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.