LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2-Time LX Owner On Sabbatical
5,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my Sirius kits today from moparsuperstore.com. They have a new part number for the receiver kit, 82207996AB. The guy on the phone could not tell me the difference between the two, but he suggested going with 82207996AB because it was the newer part number. I am hoping it is the newer, smaller antenna.

Anyway, I have a question or two.

* Is the only way to mount the antenna in the spoiler by using an aftermaket antenna? I know the huge first gen antenna wont fit in there, but what about the smaller second gen?

* Is a gromet included in the kit for the wires going thru the roof? I have no problem putting the antenna on the roof, it is kinda a status symbol, if you will.

* Is there a signal status indicator on the EVIC or HU?

*I have no NAV, No DVD and no U connect. I do want to upgrade to the Uconnect in the future, do I have to tear wires out of the connector in the future to add the uconnect?

Im sure I will have more questions soon.

Jay

·
2-Time LX Owner On Sabbatical
5,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Jaak,

I have a question for you. You said you used the updated Sirius module, was it the part number that I listed above? It appears that the unit listed above is for a 2006 Durango. I have no problem modifying the bracket to make the antenna mount fit, I am a Mechanical Engineer and love to work with metal.

Im just worried that I ordered the wrong one, but being that they are both CAN B units, they should work?

Also, is the round connector just like a standard Sirius connector, or is it diffferent?

Jay

·
Premium Member
26,921 Posts
Hmmm... Looks like you clicked on the link in my sig and did some reading!

First I should tell you before you do anything with the install... Nice colour!

Yes you can mount the antenna in the spoiler. I gutted mine to make it small enough to fit, but my recommendation would be to find an aftermarket one for Sirius, that's even smaller and keep it in the package for better weather protection. My wife's got a great little magnet mount one with her Starmate Replay.

To put the antenna on the roof, you have to drill two holes in it. The rubber gasket on the bottom of the antenna seals it.

No signal strength indication that I've seen, but it can be read with a scan tool, if I recall correctly.

No wire tearing for Uconnect. If you add VES you'll have to remove the three audio wires for the sat in the small connector on the back of the radio and put them in the one that comes with VES. Uconnect just plugs in to the larger connector, exactly the same as the sat harness.

The newer unit will work. The antenna wiring for the two wire system and the one wire system, will not plug in directly, without removing the plastic shells, as they're keyed. If possible get the right install kit for the chosen receiver. The newer receiver comes with the lower profile antenna.

Ask more questions and have another look at my website...

·
LX Newbie
41 Posts
karfreek said:
Jaak,

I have a question for you. You said you used the updated Sirius module, was it the part number that I listed above? It appears that the unit listed above is for a 2006 Durango. I have no problem modifying the bracket to make the antenna mount fit, I am a Mechanical Engineer and love to work with metal.

Im just worried that I ordered the wrong one, but being that they are both CAN B units, they should work?

Also, is the round connector just like a standard Sirius connector, or is it diffferent?

Jay
The 82207996AB is for the Durango. The LX part number is an 82208881AA. Sounds like someone was trying to gid rid of something on their shelf or really didn't know what they were talking about. Not sure why the Durango uses a different receiver than the other can bus vehicles, but there must be a reason.

·
Premium Member
26,921 Posts
The receiver and antenna are packaged together. It's likely it's the antenna that is different, if I was to hazard a guess.

So considering what you might want to do with the antenna, it may not matter.

Install the harness (different kit of parts) and plug in the receiver with the antenna plugged directly in to it. You should be able to test that it works. If all is good, continue... If in the highly unlikely event it's not, pack up the receiver and antenna back in to it's box and return it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.