LX Forums Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
That mod doesn't do anything on a straight-through resonator.
Actually, it did. Cold start is much more aggressive. I did the mod just to see if it would do anything, since it's basically free. It wasn't an earth-shattering change by any means, but it did make it sound louder and better so far.

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
You said you wanted Scat Pack exhaust noise.....so if all things are equal (the exhaust manifolds & mid pipes), then adding a Hellcat/Scat Pack exhaust would accomplish that (IMO).
FACT! That's why I'll lean towards either sourcing a set of stock SCAT resonators or just glass pack it back there after I remove the stock reso's from my 300. I may try two more steps here.......resonator delete and then if I can't handle the drone from MDS I'll drive around in 5th gear all the time to turn it off or I'll throw a cheap set of glass packs on it to help cut it down. Not sure yet, but I'll get it figured out.

The 300's are just so quiet compared to the Dodge 392 products. I get why they are, but I don't want it that way hahaha.

Reactions: snobrdrdan

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
FACT! That's why I'll lean towards either sourcing a set of stock SCAT resonators or just glass pack it back there after I remove the stock reso's from my 300. I may try two more steps here.......resonator delete and then if I can't handle the drone from MDS I'll drive around in 5th gear all the time to turn it off or I'll throw a cheap set of glass packs on it to help cut it down. Not sure yet, but I'll get it figured out.

The 300's are just so quiet compared to the Dodge 392 products. I get why they are, but I don't want it that way hahaha.
Ahhhh.....it's the rear resonators that are the culprit here then!, after seeing a pic of the 300 SRT exhaust here:

It's gonna take a little modification to get some rear resonators welded in back there, since they're offset, and not a straight shot out the valance.
You might need a small offset/offset muffler there.

For simplicity, and less hacking, I'd see if you could find a stock Scat or Hellcat exhaust first.....only if one was cheap though.

Either way....swapping those out should open her up though!

Did you look at, or consider, an aftermarket setup btw?

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Did you look at, or consider, an aftermarket setup btw?
No, not interested in spending all that cash on a full cat-back exhaust. I typically just modify what is there with good results. It's the MDS function that is screwing this all up for me, not the rear resonators themselves. I can take those out of the equation rather easily, and always have on my other vehicles, but they didn't have any MDS or other fuel-saving functions.

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
This is what I have so far:

Rear of vehicle with the stock resonators (mid mufflers already cut out by shop at time of this picture)

Vehicle Car Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

The exhaust valves are held open as shown below (not welded open, just messed with the springs)

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Rim

Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Vehicle Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

I had the shop install these Total Flow (part number 20317) straight-thru bullet race style mufflers in place of the stock mid-mufflers

Drinkware Cylinder Gas Nickel Automotive tire

White Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Automotive exterior

So far I think I really like the tone and sound of the Total Flow's......probably love it after I get the arse end opened up more too.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
No, not interested in spending all that cash on a full cat-back exhaust. I typically just modify what is there with good results. It's the MDS function that is screwing this all up for me, not the rear resonators themselves. I can take those out of the equation rather easily, and always have on my other vehicles, but they didn't have any MDS or other fuel-saving functions.
Gotcha.

So what are you trying to accomplish here then?
You said you wanted it louder, but those rear resonators are DEFINITELY the culprit as to not giving you the tone/volume you want, as the Hellcat/Scat Pack resonators are straight thru round resonators in comparison.

MDS has nothing to do with those rear resonators either, unless you're fearing drone? 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So what are you trying to accomplish here then?
Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle Grille Tire

The rear resonators were the culprit for sure. I got them removed yesterday at the shop, and the car sounds absolutely amazing now. The Total Flow bullets have a really low and deep sound to them. There is ZERO rasp anywhere in the powerband with this setup. There is some drone around 1,500 RPM but it isn't bad at all and if I want it gone I'll just manual shift it out. No drone at all at highway cruising speeds. The little drone that is there is worse with the windows down than it is with everything closed up. Cold start in the morning will definitely piss off my neighbors hahaha, but it is what it is. My step son modified his exhaust on his car too, so they'll hate both of us now. :ROFLMAO:

• Love

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
  • Love
21 - 30 of 30 Posts