LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After breaking my previous Magnum, I was lucky enough to find another '06 RT AWD. It has some different options and new challenges.
I only got one key with it, and the local hardware store wants over $200 for another. Research suggests a few ways to make another. What has worked for you?
The car came with it's original roof rack and crossbars. I attempted to adjust the crossbars, but the only one that loosened won't tighten back. Can it be fixed, or must it be replaced?
The car was fitted with "Park-Sense" an early sonar type sensor for backing. It's supposed to beep twice when engaged by putting the car in reverse, and then beep more until a steady tone when you're too close. But the steady tone happens as soon as I'm in reverse and it's annoying. The manual says clean the sensors, which I did. It also describes a switch for the tone, which I can't locate. Suggestions? I would be content to disable it if it won't work right.
Thanks!

·
Registered
649 Posts
You don't happen to have a receiver with a ball mount attached to the rear do you? I have one on another vehicle of mine with the back up sensors,, and it will sometimes make them go off like that. Just a thought.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I only got one key with it, and the local hardware store wants over $200 for another. Research suggests a few ways to make another. What has worked for you?
AppCarFCA has key reprogramming support, even if you only have one key. Get some new keys and get them cut, then program them yourself. You'll need a laptop and a proper OBD2 cable to make it work.

I usually keep one OEM key in the mix, as they asre more durable than the cheap aftermakret ones you find on ebay/Amazon, etc. - but it's nice to be able to replace a key for cheap - it takes a lot of cheap keys to equal the cost of the OEM key, esepcailly when I can reprogram the new ones myself for free in just a few minutes.. If only I could cut my own keys too... :)

·
Lost cause
4,407 Posts
Yep, was just commenting in another post about Appcar DiagFCA for programming keys. Worth it because it's cheaper than your other option, and useful for so much more. Oh, and have a real locksmith cut your key for you. They generally work better in the tumbler than one cut by a hardware store.

As far as the park sensors, I've had 3 1st gen LX's with this feature and none of them behave that way. The beeping tone only occurs when I'm getting too close to an object. Before that, just the progressive yellow LED's, no tones.

Richard

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oh, and have a real locksmith cut your key for you. They generally work better in the tumbler than one cut by a hardware store.
My lifetime key cut success rate with big box stores is <50% - with my local locksmith it's a perfect 100%. I highly recommend you find a locksmith who's been around a while - if you see them using "older" style key cutting equipment, that's often a really good sign that they know what they're doing.

I also like to set aside whatever key is in the best shape and avoid using it, usually the OEM key I keep around. I duplicate using that one when I need new keys cut - replicating a worn key can easily become a dice roll. If you keep cars as long as I do, this becomes important, well, at least for the older stuff that still uses a physical key... :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts