LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
05 Cool Vanilla Magnum RT
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished installing my new Nav unit in my 05 Mag. Once I found out that the new Nav unit out in 07 won't work in 05-06 cars, I decided to add a DC Nav REC.

Couple of questions:

1. Is it worth having the dealer turn on the steering wheel controls for the nav?? What does it allow you to do??

2. If you add people to the Nav address book, with phone #, will it show who's calling on Uconnect? Or just display the # at the bottom of the nav screen, like it does for any other call?

3. Is there a way to see all the 'info' about an .mp3 without pressing 'info' like 4 or 5 times to see the album, artist, etc?? I swore I saw another LX that showed it all on the same screen.

4. Any tips or tricks, that anyone that's very intimate with their Nav unit, would reccommend??

Thanks ya'll!!!

·
LX Padiwan
762 Posts
1. No, it is easier to just reach over to the unit instead of trying to remember what functions the buttons have on a given screen.

2. Don't know. I don't have Uconnect (yet).

3. If there is let me know also.

4. Don't rely on it. It is very good but it has taken me to the wrong place a few times. In motion menu is almost worthless because most of the times the closet gas station of resturant is behind you. When traveling, set up the icons for services you may need and use the josstick to find them. Bad thing is that you have to zoom to 1/8 or 1/20 to see the icons and street names..

·
Magnum RT Owner
23 Posts
1) There's 1 feature of the steering wheel controls that I find very useful... most people don't know about it. You would think the voice volume would be relative to the stereo volume, but it isn't. It's a fixed volume, so when you turn up the tunes, you can't hear the GPS. However, when the GPS starts giving directions, you can change the volume from the steering wheel volume controls. You have to be quick because as soon as it stops talking, the volume control immediately goes back to controlling the radio volume. Regardless, it's much easier than digging around through the menus. Aside from that, schexy1 is absolutely correct. I never use it for anything else.

2) My UConnect does show the name if it's programmed. It's a pain in the a$$ to get all the numbers in though. You have to put them into UConnect as well if you want to use voice dial. After 3 or 4 entries, I decided it wasn't worth the trouble and just setup voice dials instead.

3) Not on mine. By default, it only displays the file name. (DCX: What were you thinking?) You may have seen a standard CD burned with the info. By default, audio CD's display the track #, artist & title if available.

4) My favorite tip is listed in #1. Other than that, my GPS avoids toll-roads like the plague. No matter how I set it to route, it will not put me on the toll-road that is the quickest & shortest route between work & home. Again, I agree with schexy1 about relying too much on the GPS and about keeping it zoomed in close (I always use 1/8). However, I also have to add that even with it's shortcomings, it's still much better than other GPS units I've used. My wife's new GARMIN may be easier to use, but mine is more accurate and it recalculates much faster. Money well spent.

One more thing, I don't know how everything works when the system is not installed at the factory. Just so you know, it's supposed to integrate with the dash display as well. The turn by turn info overrides the temp & direction display as you get close to your next turn. That's a feature I use all the time because I can see it without taking my eyes off the road.

Enjoy your new toy!

·
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well thanks you two. You both sound kinda dissappointed in your nav system. That's too bad, but I understand! I didn't even want this DC system, but I use all the Uconnect and steering wheel controls. Love the integration to the car. But after learning that the new Nav units won't work in this car, It's as good as I'm gonna get without going aftermarket, and starting from SCRATCH!

Thanks again for the tips! I've been using a Garmin 2610 (LOVED IT!) just didn't like it sitting on the dash. Very reliable, now my wife gets the Garmin.

Yes, the EVIC stuff works without a factory install. Only thing that doesn't is the steering wheel controls. Anybody else have any info on exactly how those work with the NAV? All the radio/CD/SAT stuff works, just nothing on the Nav section.

il-dan... I like that seperate volume for the nav voice too! You know the Uconnect also has a seperate volume control! That's pretty slick, cause I like my music loud, the phone volume @ speaking level, and the nav voice @ ZERO!

The maps are MUCH prettier than garmins, let's see how well it gets me to all my customers!!

·
LX Padiwan
268 Posts
I've had mine in about 3/4 of a year. It has its ups and downs. It was a help on vacation, though it had the hotel in the wrong place. I could see the hotel, but couldn't get to it. The nav said I had arrived, but I hadn't. But it helped with finding restaurants and such. And it took right to the Texas School Book Depository without a hitch.

There was one time, in Maryland, it told me to make a right. Then immediately told me to make a U-turn, then told me to make an immediate right. This equates to going straight from where I was originally. The people in the car were impressed with that!

I've used the steering wheel buttons. It's mainly the left bank of buttons. You can use them to scroll through the menus. But I, too, have found that it's mostly easier to used the radio buttons. What they should really have is a touch screen.

I kinda like it. Nice to have. Glad I didn't pay MSRP for it.

·
From the other site
204 Posts
il-dan-06 said:
1) There's 1 feature of the steering wheel controls that I find very useful... most people don't know about it. You would think the voice volume would be relative to the stereo volume, but it isn't. It's a fixed volume, so when you turn up the tunes, you can't hear the GPS. However, when the GPS starts giving directions, you can change the volume from the steering wheel volume controls. You have to be quick because as soon as it stops talking, the volume control immediately goes back to controlling the radio volume. Regardless, it's much easier than digging around through the menus. Aside from that, schexy1 is absolutely correct. I never use it for anything else.
When I got mine, just went into setup menu on nav unit set a level for the volume and have not touched it since.
Nav voice remains the same level and the beauty of it is the stereo volume goes down on the drivers side speaker when nav voice comes on.:wink:

·
No replacement for displacement!
562 Posts
So the new unit won't work in our '05-'06 cars? Dammit...

·
LX Padiwan
762 Posts
Todd RT said:
Well thanks you two. You both sound kinda dissappointed in your nav system. That's too bad, but I understand!
The unit does have a few flaws but I actually like the unit as a whole. I am only dissaopinted when I compare it to the Jag and Acura TL systems, but the Hemi makes up for it.

I think all nav units give some wrong addresses and bad turn by turn directions. I like that, after a few repeat trips, it knows that the roads have been rerouted and stops trying to recaculate. The Garmin unit I had before never learned

·
Magnum RT Owner
23 Posts
Todd RT said:
Well thanks you two. You both sound kinda dissappointed in your nav system. That's too bad, but I understand!
Don't get me wrong, I like the system. It's just that I LOVE my Mag. I really wish DCX had put as much attention to detail into the NAV & UConnect as they put into the rest of the car. There are a number of small things they could have done to make the whole system feel more polished. As I said before, it's not perfect but it's still the best I've seen in a sub-$50k car. If I had to do it all over again knowing what I know now about it's limitations, I'd still get the nav without a 2nd thought.

·
Magnum RT Owner
23 Posts
GoldNnasty said:
When I got mine, just went into setup menu on nav unit set a level for the volume and have not touched it since.
Nav voice remains the same level and the beauty of it is the stereo volume goes down on the drivers side speaker when nav voice comes on.:wink:
Sorry... I neglected to mention that I've upgraded the stereo. Everything still works the same, but the volume is much louder. With my stereo volume @ 10 - 12, you can't hear the GPS at all unless it's volume is set to 3 or above. The only way I can tell the GPS is talking is that I hear the left front speakers cut out. Even before the upgrade, I had to adjust the volume quite a bit. I tend to play my music loud when I'm alone, but I keep it low when others are in the car. The system was always either whispering or yelling at me! :wink:

·
Magnum RT Owner
23 Posts
Todd RT said:
il-dan... I like that seperate volume for the nav voice too! You know the Uconnect also has a seperate volume control! That's pretty slick, cause I like my music loud, the phone volume @ speaking level, and the nav voice @ ZERO!
Yeah, the UConnect volume is a nice touch. It works out much better than the GPS because it kills the music on all the speakers. Ms. Sexy DCX Voice never has to yell at me to get my attention. Overall, UConnect rocks! :rock:

I just wish they'd add a few more BT profiles so we wouldn't have to re-enter all the numbers we already have in our phones. (DCX: hint-hint, nudge-nudge) Unless you only care about caller id, integration with the nav unit is limited & in many areas, klunky. One cool feature is that you can use UConnect to call any address with a number in your GPS. I use that a lot while i'm out of town. It's like having the yellow pages built into your car. You can search for type of place, then sort it by distance. Select anything that looks promising, call & ask your questions (or verify that the business is still there if your DVD is original like mine), then let GPS tell you how to get there.

·
Damn Fast Grandpa!!
6,346 Posts
The easiest way I have found to adjust the nav volume is push the info button to get "her" to repeat the last "advice" and adjust with either the steering wheel or the on nav volume. I use mine daily. I have worn out three Garmin v units (don't ask!) The ONLY thing I don't like is not being able to search for things while moving, whats wrong with the passenger playing? A bit too nanyish in my opinion! The double u-turns are entertaining for me too! I actually did it once when I was brain dead and had not zoomed out to see what was "next" on the instruction, glad no folks in blue were around to see me go up a dead end road just to turn around and continue!!

·
LX Padiwan
282 Posts
Well, instead of opening a new thread, I have a simple question regarding the REC unit. Is there anyway to quickly switch folders on an MP3 disc? I HATE scrolling up to the "Folder Up Icon" to get a few folders down.

Overall, I really like the NAV unit though, and would get it again. (I didn't pay nearly sticker, though. $2k would have been an OUCH).

·
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was wondering the same thing today, cause on the RAQ (I think that's the 6disc #) I had a 'DIR' button that went right to the directory list.

Anyone??

Also... No one has answered the question about the nav functions on the steering wheel. Anyone know how this works? I need more details please!

·
LX Padiwan
282 Posts
Well, it'd be nice if we had a DIR button to take us too root of the disc.

Also, maybe I missed the specific question about the nav button, but I don't often use the buttons on the steering wheel when i8n Nav mode. It seems easier to just use the joystick.

I do use the buttons for everything else, though.

·
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Funny... I'm replying to my own thread!

I figured something out today that I didn't know about the nav. When entering addresses, I have been moving the joystick left/right/up/down to move to different letters. And was frustrated that you couldn't hold the button to move from one letter to another more quickly. If you TURN the joystick (this works in many other nav menus too!) it will move VERY QUICKLY between letters. You still have to hit up/down to go to different rows. But the address entry is MUCH FASTER!

Just in case someone else might use this info!!

·
LX Padiwan
282 Posts
Funny, I just figured that out yesterday myself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.