LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
LX Newbie
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My joysitck finally gave out on my NAV unit. Just spins, but won't do anything. It seems like a fairly common problem from what I have read on the forum. I just turned 30,000 miles, so I assume it is covered under warranty. What should I expect from the dealer? Will they repair the joystick, or exchange the unit with a new one? What have others experienced?

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
I am curious as well... I bought mine off of someoen on the boards (not sure what joystick it has one it) so just incase it ever breaks am I S.O.L and have to buy a new one?

·
Premium Member
26,921 Posts
Try to get it replaced (that's what they do) under warranty. If not, then it's possible to buy the switch assembly and have a qualified electronics (not auto) technician replace it. I've already posted a thread about this.

Order the switch from www.mouser.com and tell the tech you want it changed. If he's half decent, he'll be able to remove the shaft from your broken switch and put it in the replacement. (The replacement's shaft is shorter.)

Do yourself a favour and buy two of the switches, just in case.

I've done this repair. Any electronics tech that can't do the repair should be told to stop working on electronics. I'll tell you right now, half of the "Audio" techs I've seen, I would not trust with this repair. You need to have it done by someone that actually knows how to repair radios.

Replacement Nav Joystick found?

Here's the switch you need to order:

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?&handler=data.listcategory&D=*RKJXT1E120 01*&terms=RKJXT1E12001&Ntt=*RKJXT1E12001*&Dk=1&Ns= SField&N=0&crc=true

·
I'm tryin' to think but nuttin' happens
5,151 Posts
Mine just went last week and I was planning on searching for info today.

Too bad I can't just call the dealer and have them order a new unit. Of course they'll want ot "inspect" it, because I couldn't possibly know more than them about this problem.

·
It's been the Worst Day Since Yesterday
15,166 Posts
jaak said:
I've done this repair. Any electronics tech that can't do the repair should be told to stop working on electronics. I'll tell you right now, half of the "Audio" techs I've seen, I would not trust with this repair. You need to have it done by someone that actually knows how to repair radios.
ummm okay, well i did mine myself... desoldering iron, remove old switch... soldering iron-- install new switch, what's the big deal? as long as you line the switch up correctly and use 1/32 inch diameter solder, you should be fine....

·
Premium Member
26,921 Posts
Mr. iNCREDIBLE said:
ummm okay, well i did mine myself... desoldering iron, remove old switch... soldering iron-- install new switch, what's the big deal? as long as you line the switch up correctly and use 1/32 inch diameter solder, you should be fine....
Not a big deal at all if you have half a brain. A lot of audio techs don't have half a brain... I can tell already you have a clue. Now who else here has a desoldering iron?

It isn't a big deal, if you know how to solder and desolder. If you don't, I don't recommend messing with it, as you can lift the PCB traces and who knows what else might get ruined.

Taking apart the switch to change the shaft, isn't tough either. There are four tabs on the back that need to be bent straight up, then the back pulls off. It's good practice to do the bad switch first and remove the shaft. Then you know what to expect when you take apart the good switch. Except it won't be broken inside.

·
Mr. White Chocolate P. Rock
1,458 Posts
jaak said:
Not a big deal at all if you have half a brain. A lot of audio techs don't have half a brain... I can tell already you have a clue. Now who else here has a desoldering iron?.
I got one!!!

·
LX Padiwan
201 Posts
Mine broke as well. I have the TVANDNAV2GO mod on mine, so I'll just repair it. It would be a lot bigger deal to have to swap Navs.

Anyone have a recommendation on somewhere to get the new switch installed in the SoCal area? Thanks.

·
It's been the Worst Day Since Yesterday
15,166 Posts
Mine broke as well. I have the TVANDNAV2GO mod on mine, so I'll just repair it. It would be a lot bigger deal to have to swap Navs.

Anyone have a recommendation on somewhere to get the new switch installed in the SoCal area? Thanks.
I'll do it for you, I'm in th long beach area, I did my own, plus I am doing the Nav2go mod next week if it comes, it would be great to see one done....

I even have a few spare switches so you don't need to order one.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.