LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Wish I were in Wonderland
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm posting this a little hesitantly .... I tend to be a very private person when it comes to personal things, but my wife and I are both scared and I could use some advice.

I am in what is listed my OSHA as the 2nd most stressful carreer in the contry. I have a LOT of my co-workers who are on BP meds. For this reason I have been watching My BP for the last couple of years. For the last year it has been steadily higher than it used to be.

I checked it a few days ago and it was much higher than normal. I was also haveing some heart burn at the time, so I finally gave in to what my wife has been begging me to do for the last 6 months and made an appointment with the PA that is employeed by my employer. I can see her for free so I got an appointment for the next day.

Next dar I went to the appointment and talked to the PA for about 20 min explaining about my tracking of my BP and of the very high reading I had the day before. She gave me a flier for shopping at the grocery store for "healthy" foods and was signing me up for a program through my insurance that gives me an exercise log book and some other free trinkets. Then I mentioned to her that I had had some heart burn at the same time. This concerned her and she immediately took by BP. It was high enough that she told me I needed to see my family doctor immediately. They saw me that day and did an EKG and everything else.

The Doc tells me that he thinks I have had 4-6 mini heart attacks in the past year and has sceduled me for a stress test on Monday. He immediately gave me a prescription for High BP pills and also for nitro.

My wife is pregnant with our 2nd child right now and she is really scared.

The worst part is that I am only 32 years old. I never believed that it was anything more than some kind of heart burn. I could use some advice from anyone who has been thru anything similar or has BP issues at all.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for listening.

Robert

·
I dunno......
3,884 Posts
Hey there...

I don't have those problems, but I treat people who do (I am an occupational therapist). What kind of work do you do? Do you have any other major health problems? What kind of meds were you taking up until now? Any history of heart disease, heart attacks or strokes in your family? What about high cholesterol?

If too personal, just say so, or feel free to PM me...it will be interesting to see what the stress test results are..

You will be OK...they will figure out what is causing it...meds and a healthy outlook on life will help. Again, feel free to PM me.

Sue

·
I Have Become Comfortably Numb
994 Posts
Hang in there

I won't go into details on my experience, but there are a lot of new treatments available now(non-invasive). The best thing is to find a good Cardiologist and do the standard followup(exercise and diet)(after getting the ok of course) Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
you did the right thing

Thankfully you finally listened to your body. I had a dear friend who did not, thought it was "heartburn", indeed it was small heart attacks, very cureable these days. If only he did what your doing for yourself I would'nt need to be typing these words. Do what your cardiologist prescribes and you will see your children grow long into adulthood. For us men, you've allready done the hardest thing, saw a doctor

·
345 Go!
1,160 Posts
Robert -

I'm sorry for your healt challenges... but I'm glad you posted.

I am 37 and - although I have no symptoms, my father passed away at age 46 in 1989 - bum ticker - I remember he kept complaining of heartburn for years - I can remember all the antacids and pepto and over the counter crap he tried to take - never going to the doctor because that would cost $$$ and he had better things to do with his money (like try and keep 2 spoiled kids happy).

I need to get checked out and will schedule a visit today... just to be sure.

God bless and good luck.

Wayne

·
LX Guru
14,153 Posts
Hey, you're going to be fine! Think how lucky you are to have seen a doctor. I hadn't seen a doctor for 30 years, then decided to go on a diet, Atkins. One of the things Atkins says is get a physical if you might have kidney problems. My wife has kidney failure, so I was a bit paranoid and fortuneately got a physical. Damn, was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. The diabetes hit me right out of left field and if I hadn't discovered it then it could have killed me. Now I have my health issues in hand and slowly losing weight on Atkins which is helpful in controling type 2 diabetes. If you listen to your doctor, you'll be fine and end up an old geezer some day!:wink:

·
Fn eh Cotton, fn eh
204 Posts
Hang in there man!

You did the right thing. The sooner they can determine if there is an issue the better. You are young, as am I at 32, once children come into the picture your view on life changes dramatically. I am so glad to see you taking these steps for yourself and your family! Good luck and health, hopefully you can find a career opportunity that will relieve some of the pressure on you and your family.

·
Premium Member
34,711 Posts
Man,do whatever they say.At 35 I found out the hard way that my ticker is a little screwy.Scared the hell out of me.At 37 it happened again,my heart goes into afib for no particular reason.Get a good Cardiologist and do what ever they say,you'll be good to go.

·
I-495 Hater
5,026 Posts
Holy hell Praetorian, now you've got me scared. I like spicy food, I always eat spicey food.....after that little thread about PETA and talking about eating some Hooters wings, I went there and had the standard hot wings like ALWAYS....I had heartburn for the first time that night, I've NEVER experienced heartburn before, and never have afterwards, I thought it was a bad batch of wing sauce or something. Now I'm worried :sad:

Dude, I hope you get good news about where you stand and that's it's not going to be hard to get you back to fit as a fiddle...I will be researching my stuff myself.

·
LX Enthusiast
679 Posts
Robert, I hope all goes well, I am glad, as we all are, that you opted out and went to the doctor and pursued to start a thread about this. I am still young, being 20 but it is never too early to start watching your body and read the signs it lays out for you. You will be in my prayers, along with your family. Just be fortunate you have someone that loves you along with a beautiful kid on the way. Life will treat you well if you treat it well, keep your doctor visits frequent, and find yourself a trustworthy one, maybe get a couple second opinions.

Take care of yourself and thanks for putting it out there for all of us fellow male LX'ers to suck up our manliness and go to a doctor!
Matt

·
MadTownMag
29 Posts
I agree...see a doctor...on a regular basis....kind of like when you do the regular fluid level checks on your car...you need to have a MD do the regular bloodwork checks on your personal body...take care...I'll say a prayer...

·
I'm not speeding......I'm qualifying
5,266 Posts
Follow doctors orders and I'm sure you'll feel better. Hope all is okay. Congrats on the baby. Take care.

·
Premium Member
16,511 Posts
This is a time for a major life shift. Your wife and your kids need you worse than you need the job.
That work environment is literallly killing you. Get out ASAP.
I hope and pray that you are able to get to a more stress free and happier way of life soon!
I would also ask for a full cardio workup to fully understand the amount of risk and damge that exists.
Please keep us up on this. Me and mine will keep you in our prayers!

·
Wish I were in Wonderland
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I went for the Stress Test on Thurday... got shaved and hooked up to the 12-lead EKG....they did the base line EKGs and took BP readings...then the PA came in and I started the test...about 20 secs into the test the PA looks at my base lines and immediately stopped the test. The baseline showed inverted T-waves... they scheduled me for a different type of stress test on Friday morning that would take 4 hours instead of the 1 hour for the test on Thursday. The PA says that the inverted t-waves mean that there is definitely "some degree" of damage to the heart muscle...the test Friday was to determine the extent of damage.

I went in on Friday morning for the "nuclear treadmill myo" test. This test wasn't fun... involved an IV.... radioactive injection....15 min worth of pics...then a treamill stress test....another injection of radio active goo...then 10 more min of pics..... actually only took 3 hours for the whole thing. The purpose of the pics is to determine how much oxygen is getting into my heart muscle, thereby telling them how much damage there is to the heart. They said the Cardiologist will review all the pics and I will hear something with 3-5 days.

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and prayers....

·
I dunno......
3,884 Posts
Glad to hear they are doing a good job of figuring out what is going on...sounds like your docs are on the ball!

Yell if you need anything...

Take care
Sue

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.