LX Forums Forum banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Wow the fact that they let the heads go out the door like that with the keepers not installed properly is scary. I would have expected that they would have kissed the surface of the heads to make them perfect instead or roloc-ing them. Go over them with a fine toothed comb to make sure they are okay. Check for flatness etc.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Wow the fact that they let the heads go out the door like that with the keepers not installed properly is scary. I would have expected that they would have kissed the surface of the heads to make them perfect instead or roloc-ing them. Go over them with a fine toothed comb to make sure they are okay. Check for flatness etc.
Defiantly. I have a flat bar here at work. I plan on double checking them for sure.

Here is a small little update on the engine cover. I took off the front two mounting legs and made new ones using the Hemi cover connectors. Ill be able to pop it off and with ease. Should make oil changes a little bit nicer. Here is how it looked before I started messing with it.

Here are some old pictures of the cover installed. This was before I rebuilt the supercharger.

The brackets used to mount in this fashion. (Notice the screws on the ends?? These used to hold down the engine cove with washers and nuts. )

These are the new mounts Im making fit the cover.

I cut off the front legs for more hood clearance as well as filled in the V6 3.5L area with JB weld.

Here you can see here I sanded the front passenger side post. "4.0 Stroker" will be added to this engine cover.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Defiantly. I have a flat bar here at work. I plan on double checking them for sure.

Here is a small little update on the engine cover. I took off the front two mounting legs and made new ones using the Hemi cover connectors. Ill be able to pop it off and with ease. Should make oil changes a little bit nicer. Here is how it looked before I started messing with it.

Here are some old pictures of the cover installed. This was before I rebuilt the supercharger.

The brackets used to mount in this fashion. (Notice the screws on the ends?? These used to hold down the engine cove with washers and nuts. )

These are the new mounts Im making fit the cover.

I cut off the front legs for more hood clearance as well as filled in the V6 3.5L area with JB weld.

Here you can see here I sanded the front passenger side post. "4.0 Stroker" will be added to this engine cover.

I'll have to keep that in mind when it finally warms up to stay outside for long enough to do that to mine...good work, wonder how much jbweld you've used on that thing now lol

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Here is a quick update. I lightly repainted everything and it all mounts up pretty nicely. Wont know if there are any issue until I get the engine back in. Emblems aren't stuck down yet..... but it turned out pretty decent.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Alright so they look way better. Had my local machine fix the heads. they kissed the surface, jet cleaned them, and install the correct keeper. That's right... the wrong keeper was installed. WTF!? 7 month wait for a 2 month job initially. As well as $3k... for what I received is pretty sad for having to fix them to be 100% as they should have been. Anyways here are the pictures.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
That is how I would have expected the heads to look when you received them the first time from Inertia. Well, I know that company is one I will not do business with. I can't imagine waiting 7 months only to receive the heads back in that condition. It's nice they ported them, but to send them back in an unfinished state with the keepers falling out, let alone the wrong ones, is beyond disappointing. Well, its good you got them fixed. Looking forward to hearing how the car runs when its back together.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
That is how I would have expected the heads to look when you received them the first time from Inertia. Well, I know that company is one I will not do business with. I can't imagine waiting 7 months only to receive the heads back in that condition. It's nice they ported them, but to send them back in an unfinished state with the keepers falling out, let alone the wrong ones, is beyond disappointing. Well, its good you got them fixed. Looking forward to hearing how the car runs when its back together.
Yeah man you and me both. I mean they are decent and i could live with them not being cleaned 100%. Hell I could even overlook the surface not being kissed. They only took off .001 (so they were in really really decent shape). BUT installing the wrong keeper is ridiculous. Like you said, that could have been engine failure. Good thing I work at a shop and I'm doing my own build. May have been overlooked if not. Ill keep you guys posted for sure.

On a side note I'm trying to figure out how much PSI 3.5L have been know to take. was it 12 psi or 14 psi that they can safely handle? Right now I'm running 10 psi but I was loosing 3 psi out the back of the upper intake manifold. I checked this via data logging which showed 7.xx psi. I don't find ANY info on the 4.0L being boosted except for one time.... but no info on it. Being the 4.0L block is a bored and stroked version of the 3.5L I'm thinking it should be able to handle more?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Ah snap I been at it during this Corona Virus outbreak. I'm still working, so I'm doing this on my off time. Hopefully you guys are all well. Here is what I've been up to.

Here is the stock reman 4.0l engine from the 2008 Dodge Nitro.

Tore it down to the block

Swapped over the front cover, water pump, heads and studs. That way I could start painting things as they went together.

I left the tag in place so you can read it to know its a 4.0L!!

Yippe!!! The dang ported intake I got from Inertia Motorsports was the wrong one...... The one I received fits the older 3.5L engines because the Upper Intake Manifolds (UIM) are slightly different. (the front and rear hold down bolts holes for the UIM are incorrect. I ended up buying a bur tool and used a drill and some WD40 to gasket match my stock Lower Intake Manifold (LIM). I didn't take any pictures of the stock LMI but Ill get some and add them later on. Here is a picture for comparison. the one in my hand is my stock LMI.

I put all the rest of the front cover together and dropped in the new Inertia Motorsports 1.2v blower cams. Just making sure everything fits. (Don't worry I put everything in time lol)

I went a little paint happy as I was putting everything together. I went with Mopar orange, black and silver . Turned out pretty decent.

Also I took the super charger apart and repainted it Mopar Orange as well.

I still need to thow the oil pan and pick up tube on there but its coming along for sure.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
Pulled my 3.5L block and finished transferring over the rest of the needed parts.

Took a look at the bottom end while I had it apart. Main bearing looked pretty good.

Transferred over the pick up tube.

After that I got a little excited because the bottom main bearing cover didnt fit 100% and I though my oil pan didn't fit. The pan just end up being a little warped some how. Anyways I added the engine brackets and stabbed it real quick before calling it a night lol

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
UPDATED 9/03/2020 -

Pulled out all of the "pieced together" hoses that made over the years. Wanted to replace the hoses with good quallity silicone hose.

out with the old

and in with the new

I made some brackets for the FMIC to replace the ones I made before.

I made a bracket for the catch can. It will be dual catch can setup once att said and done

I got after it and started installing everything little by little, taking my time.

While re-doing the inner cooler piping I relized thaat I neede to make a bracket for the power steering. SO I got to it.

I ditched the engine cover..... ended up going wiht a different look. Did away with that silly 3.5L and added 4.0L Stroker.

Got it buttoned back up but I had to change a couple ways some pipes route.

Started it up, filled all the fuilds and I was overheating, dang theromstat took a crap...... Had to tear it down again lol

Tossed on these emblems for that fresh "factory" look. And buttoned up the rest of the front end.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Thanks man. Right now im chansing an oil leak at the rear of the pan. SOunds alot better with the exhaust on. Once i get it sorted ill get some better videos.
Glad I found this post. Love it!
Been working on mine also. Not going with a supercharger, but this is temping me now!
I got over aggressive and grinded a small hole in my LIM so I'm getting it welded. I also may get it ceramic coated to pull away more heat.
I've got the 4.0L cams in and short runner headers with the SRT dual exhaust. Ported intake and heads and I'm very tempted to purchase the Grams 72mm throttle body and see if it will work.

I need a double ended bolt for the timing cover... do you happen to have one I can buy off you? (See pic)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
484 Posts
Thanks man. Right now im chansing an oil leak at the rear of the pan. SOunds alot better with the exhaust on. Once i get it sorted ill get some better videos.
I haven't tried it yet, but it seem possible... could the intake plenum be installed backwards to put the throttle body at the front of the engine? That would reduce the length of a lot of your tubing. It may be too tall at the front... but I haven't checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 76 Posts